Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

JCPenney has started testing its store credit cards with Apple's Apple Pay payments service, allowing customers at one location in Texas to add their JCPenney charge cards to Apple Pay. Customers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area visiting the JCPenney store at The Village at Fairview are able to participate in the Apple Pay pilot program, which is set to roll out to stores nationwide in the spring of 2016.

Customers with a JCPenney charge card receive a notice about the Texas pilot program when attempting to add a JCPenney card to Apple Pay using the Wallet app. The notification also includes details about the full launch of the JCPenney Apple Pay service.

apple_pay_store_cards.jpg

Apple Pay support for store credit cards is a new feature, introduced alongside iOS 9 but announced at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. Thus far, Kohl's is the only major retailer that currently allows its store cards to be added to Apple Pay, but both Kohl's and JCPenney have been touted as the two major partners for the feature.

iOS 9 also brought Apple Pay support for in-store loyalty cards, allowing customers to add their rewards cards to the Wallet app to further cut down on the number of physical cards that must be carried. Walgreens is the first retailer to support the Apple Pay rewards program.

Article Link: JCPenney Testing Apple Pay Support for Store Cards, Nationwide Rollout Coming in Spring 2016

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Walgreens balance rewards card on Apple Pay hasn't worked for me. The cashier always pushes something before I can tap to use it and it goes away.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
Why would anyone have a JC Penny charge card? Seems like a really stupid idea. Just use a normal debit/credit card from Visa, AMEX, etc.

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
Why would anyone have a JC Penny charge card? Seems like a really stupid idea. Just use a normal debit/credit card from Visa, AMEX, etc.
I use a similar feature with Kohl's. The reason is that you have integrated rewards, discounts and special promotions all tied together. The savings are significant if you can manage to do a good percentage of your shopping at that particular shop.

Additionally, if it's in Apple Pay it's one less card to carry and secure. There is a limit of 8 cards that might have to be revisited in the future.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

My wife was unable to get a credit card via TD Bank, but she was able to get a store credit card without problem. So I think it's easier to get approved for a store credit card than one from a bank.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
JC Penny Card FAQ. Looks like up to 10% off, which is more than most normal cards offer?
• $1 spent on qualifying purchases = 1 point. Earn 100 points** or more in a month and get one $10 JCPenney Reward— up to ten rewards each month when you use your JCPenney Credit Card
• Special savings events—only for JCPenney Credit Cardmembers
• Bonus points events during the year
• Special promotional financing‡—available for furniture, window treatments, in-home custom decorating, mattresses, fine jewelry or watch purchases when you use your JCPenney Credit Card

Reactions: tooloud10 and ptb42

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
First, I must ask if anyone knows what the difference between a charge card and a credit card is. I highly doubt JC Penney and Kohl's offer "charge cards," since that would imply no credit limit and a balance that needs to be paid in full each month.

Great question. There's no reason to get a store credit card.

When approved for a JC Penney credit card, you get a high interest rate (26.99% -- you're kidding right?), and 10% off a limit selection of items in their store.

It's better to apply for a regular credit card with all around better rewards-- or if you don't have credit, a secured credit card.

If you desperately want a store card, go for the Chase Amazon Rewards Visa... 3x points per dollar on Amazon.com purchases, 2x points per dollar at gas stations, office supply stores, drug stores, and restaurants, and 1x points on everything else.

Last edited:

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I use a similar feature with Kohl's. The reason is that you have integrated rewards, discounts and special promotions all tied together. The savings are significant if you can manage to do a good percentage of your shopping at that particular shop.

Additionally, if it's in Apple Pay it's one less card to carry and secure. There is a limit of 8 cards that might have to be revisited in the future.

Isn't it difficult to do enough shopping at Kohl's to take full advantage of the store card benefits? At least with Amazon's store card you can quite possibly replace grocery store visits depending on where you live.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

My wife has one. She gets better deals when she uses the card, better rewards, and special offers not available to most people. However, you may have to spend more than a certain amount per year.

She has a Kohl's card for the same reason. If you wait for the right opportunity, the savings can be substantial: 30% off at checkout, and a 20% rebate on what you actually pay, redeemable in the near future.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Isn't it difficult to do enough shopping at Kohl's to take full advantage of the store card benefits?
Not for my mother-in-law. If it's a gift given (birthday, Christmas, wedding, baby shower), it's pretty much guaranteed to have come from Kohl's. Given that they sell clothing, toys, furniture, luggage, appliances, etc, ... it's not hard for her at all. lol

t's better to apply for a regular credit card with all around better rewards
I don't think you can say that definitively. IMO, there is a time and place for both types of cards.

There is certainly a subset of consumers that have figured out how to maximize the 5%+ rewards offered by store cards (JC Penny, Kohls, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and known when to leverage them vs. the 1%/2%/3% rewards that many of the bigger cards offer.

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
My wife was unable to get a credit card via TD Bank, but she was able to get a store credit card without problem. So I think it's easier to get approved for a store credit card than one from a bank.

You may want her to have a debit card with a limit.
TD bank should be able to give that , as there isn't any way to overdraw.

These work like credit cards, however you will not fall into the trap of "pay later"
and over time accumulate cc debts.

As others posted there is no longer a reason to have store charge cards.
The 10% discounts are usually limited in items or time.
There are still stores who give discounts for every purchase (Lowe's),
but still high charges if you forget or don't pay on time.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
I don't think you can say that definitively. IMO, there is a time and place for both types of cards.

There is certainly a subset of consumers that have figured out how to maximize the 5%+ rewards offered by store cards (JC Penny, Kohls, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and known when to leverage them vs. the 1%/2%/3% rewards that many of the bigger cards offer.

If you carry a balance, store cards are a horrible thing to use. J.C Penney's card has a 26.9% interest rate.

When I was reading the perks of a J.C Penney card, it only gave you 10% off a certain, small selection of items in their store. Not worth it to me.

I'll take the 5% back on rotating categories, 6% back at the grocery store, etc. With that, you get 1/2 to 2/3 the interest rate.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Why would anyone have a JC Penny charge card? Seems like a really stupid idea.

Perhaps it was easier to get. Perhaps they don't like having a major credit card account number exposed (pre Apple Pay). Perhaps this allows them to keep easier track of where expenditures are made.

Or perhaps they just like the store awards. The same reason why many of us often prefer a particular credit card from a major bank.

I agree that people shouldn't carry balances, but that applies to almost any card.

--

The more interesting thing about the JC Penney card, is that it's actually from Synchrony Financial, who provides lots of store cards like this.

Basically, it's giving back to the retailer, all the info that they would otherwise lose with Apple Pay and other bank cards.

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I used Apple Pay for the firs time the other day up here in Canada (now that my Amex card has come in) and I totally blew the mind of the young cashier. It was a little awkward the first time though, I am used to laying my card flat to tap it but it seems like with the phone you have to tap the top edge

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
My wife has one. She gets better deals when she uses the card, better rewards, and special offers not available to most people. However, you may have to spend more than a certain amount per year.

She has a Kohl's card for the same reason. If you wait for the right opportunity, the savings can be substantial: 30% off at checkout, and a 20% rebate on what you actually pay, redeemable in the near future.
It would be 100% off if you didn't buy it.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004

Doesn't that just encourage you to spend more money in the first place, thus negating the 'deals'?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is how Apple is going to quickly expand ApplePay across the world without having to painstakingly negotiate directly with every single bank. American Express gets ApplePay's foot in the door in several countries, then department stores get in because it encourages loyalty and high credit rates for those who don't pay off their balance right away. Meanwhile, banks who are holding back will see a lower use of their credit cards and debit transactions and they'll end up begging to join in.

It looks like this is already starting in Canada. According to a manager at Hudson's Bay in Toronto, the company will be one of the first to offer a store credit card on ApplePay in Canada, extending Apple Pay beyond American Express in this country. With Hudson's Bay comes their subsidiary SAKS 5th Avenue, slated to open next year. And from there, I can see the dominoes falling as other department stores want in.

I suspect that Shopper's Drugmart will soon join ApplePay. They already accept AMEX ApplePay and have one of the most — if not the most — successful loyalty programs in the country. Shoppers is owned by Loblaws who runs President's Choice who in turn provides financial services such as credit cards and banking. CIBC is PC's banking partner. CIBC also happens to be the least successful of the major banks. Getting in on ApplePay before other banks would provide them with a boost like AT&T got from the iPhone exclusivity deal.

2016 is going to see rapid expansion of ApplePay whether or not banks are on board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.