Jeb Bush: 'I Have Decided To Actively Explore' A Presidential Run

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Dec 16, 2014.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/16/jeb-bush-president_n_6333658.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

He's probably the most viable candidate with an (R) in front of his name. I wish him luck and hope he has a thick skin, his party is not going to like him.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Jeb Bush is still a long-shot in a large field of candidates, while Hillary has about a 99.9% chance at winning the Democratic nomination. In fact, the Democrats will coronate her without any serious opposition.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

A lot can happen in 2 years. She was supposedly a shoo-in for 2008 as well.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Exactly. Somewhere else in these forums I posted a snippet of a nightmarish dream I had where Hillary divorced Bill, married Jeb (Columba was not even in my dream!) and they co-ran the White House... and why not, after all it's the banks and big corporations running the place anyway, so not surprising if viable presidential candidates are practically mind-melded.

Jeb Bush might make it to the short list of the big GOP donors, but he is probably not far enough right for the base (same probably the case for Romney if he decides to give it another go). And Clinton's too far right for the progressive wing of the Dems and left-leaning independents, so who knows how any of these pols would fare in 2016.

Alternative parties don't seem able to poll more than 5% the past few years, so I guess the major parties are going to have to duke it out somehow. But can we not get past our addiction to dynasties?

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Democrat's progressive wing are a powerless minority. Notice how Obama punks them on an almost daily basis. Hillary will sail through their faux-primary.

The Tea Party, on the other hand, has real influence within the GOP and can thwart the ambitions of any moderate seeking the nomination.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't know. Hillary doesn't know either, else why delay her announcement.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary doesn't know what?

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sorry. She doesn't know if she can sail through the Dem's "faux-primary."

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's possible some dark-horse candidate will appear but I don't know who that could be. The Dems are already lining up fringe candidates to provide a thin veneer of "competition" but Hillary will brush them aside with no problem. Of course, she may forgo a run to preserve her lucrative speaking career (six-figures per speech) but I doubt that.

13. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

14. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris...cons_b_6330710.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2016

This is how I generally see it also, but the money train that will carry these two candidates has the potential to squeeze out possibly more viable/credible runners in each of their parties. With Jeb announcing now and with his last name, he'll surely create a vacuum for non-Koch money.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Honestly I think Hillary Clinton is too old for the job. It has beaten hell out of Obama. It's an impossible job in the climate our politics and instantaneous information age have supplied as the backdrop. That backdrop's not going away. And before she even gets there she has to run through all the hoops the GOP ad machines will put up.

Think about it. Everything from Benghazi Benghazi back to Whitewater and the Rose law firm? And drag us all through it as well? She never used to have a great relationship with the media, why should that have changed once they seriously ramp up to play at vetting her candidacy?

Why do the Democrats want this scenario? Is their bench that depleted? I'm not sure about that but they've let the right's constant carping about Obama drain so much oxygen out of the media bubble that no one has ever heard of alternates to Hillary in 2016.

When I think about this stuff the only reason I can come up with for Hillary to run is that she's hawkish and corporatist with the big bucks behind her to support those views. She will not upset any applecarts on Wall Street. Sigh. Does sound like a shoo-in, doesn't it.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm sorry ... but how is it a "faux-primary"?

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good. I think he has a really good chance at the nomination.

----------

It means that she will be the Dems candidate no matter what, duh!

18. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't think we do and I'm not sure we really want Ms. Clinton but the DNC thinks she's electable.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I am not sure Jeb Bush could get the nomination, but contrary to some on this forum, I think the Tea Party will not have that big an impact on the GOP's nominee for 2016. I think Jeb Bush could probably beat Hillary Clinton. He comes across as personable, even affable, and there are probably people preparing airbrushed takes on some of his past actions or views, e.g., immigration, education.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to see both Clintons in the White House again. Don't forget she's married to Bill. This guy in the White House again with the rolodex additions he's doubtless had in the meantime... I dunno. His contacts will not have been as well vetted as when he was in the White House and there are a few lingering questions about those days. There's the matter of their entourages. Are they the same old cronies from the 1980s? What about the staff and support of the family foundation. Does he recuse himself from all that if she's elected? If some voters thought the idea of "buy one get one free" was a little scary when he was the president and she the First Lady, how about the switch now if she's Prez and he's the possibly over-empowered First Husband?

I'd rather the Democrats' leadership took an open mind to the matter of primaries, and started trying harder to overcome the problem of voters wondering stuff like "Who's O'Malley, ain't he the guy runs the pub down the way?" It's like these DNC pols are focused only on whether they can win the general election and how that means name recognition and pre-lined-up buckets of money. Do they have a vision for governance? Are they even ready for Mrs. and Mrs. Clinton in the White House or they just get as far as the balloons on election night?

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think his last name alone strips him of any chance at winning his party's primary. If he changed his name to Reagan however...

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well known names always seem to figure prominently in speculation this far ahead of a presidential election........Joe Lieberman looked "likely" for 2004 and Hilary Clinton looked the same for 2008, neither got the nomination of course.

Romney seems to be rethinking the idea of running again :eek:

Who'd have thought..........but;

22. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

As a conservative, I must say, the Bush family just needs to walk into the sunset. We had Bush 41...and then Bush 43. We do not need Bush 45.

The same could be said for Clinton.

Policies aside, I don't think it is good for the country to have basically two families be atop of the mountain so to speak. If Hilary/Jeb gets voted into President in 2016, by 2020, a Bush or Clinton would be in the White House for 24 of the previous 32 years.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see Jeb having a chance. Aside of his name, his position on immigration and Common Core should do him in with the base.

24. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Hussein continues to lower the ethical bar, in turn she's likely waiting...

25. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

This. Can we pleeeeeeaaase put the twentieth, ( and early twenty first) century behind us and bring in some new blood!?