Jeff Bezos about to lose half his worth

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Would have been better for him to have stayed single. Would also have been much cheaper to have paid someone for company.
I don't think Mr Bezos would look at things that way.

To begin with, there is no earthly way Jeff Bezos could possibly spend the vast amount of money represented by his shares in Amazon or his other investments.

Secondly, while I'm certain that Mrs Bezos' divorce lawyer will insist on an equitable split in the family community property, it is unlikely to take the form of Jeff Bezos writing a check for $40 billion or anything like that. Instead, ownership stakes in various family trusts will be divided between the couple. The names on some share certificates will change, but its unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on Bezos lifestyle or his ability to pursue business or other personal interests.

Lastly, Jeff Bezos and his wife have enjoyed a long, happy, and by most accounts successful marriage. They have raised children together, and lived a full and satisfying life. I doubt, quite seriously, that any sensible person would exchange that for the opportunity to forgo a painful - but relatively brief - period of personal hardship as they go through a divorce.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Would have been better for him to have stayed single. Would also have been much cheaper to have paid someone for company.

One could call it bad luck or bad karma.
This kind of assumes (to me) that divorce is inevitable. IMHO, it almost never is.

By all accounts the split was amicable. Obviously I don’t know them but by the sounds of it, it seems that they could have worked through whatever was pushing them apart. They simply chose not to.

Surprised he had no prenup :eek:
If I recall, they were together before Amazon was started.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I wonder if he willingly told her "Here is half of what Amazon and I are worth, go cash out and enjoy your new life without me". Over time money changes people.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
They were married before Amazon was worth much. While this is sad, I'm rather skeptical of the reality of the divorce. In other words, it's a really good way sell without causing too much attraction. It wouldn't be the first time such a divorce has occurred for high net worth individuals.
[doublepost=1547154788][/doublepost]And the reality is he'll make it all back in a couple of years. If the divorce is a sham as I expect, it's an easier way to fund Blue Origin and other projects through obfuscation, because even with Bezos' yearly sell of stock, he was still rather limited on money. Space stuff is expensive.

Reactions: Eraserhead

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
They were married before Amazon was worth much. While this is sad, I'm rather skeptical of the reality of the divorce. In other words, it's a really good way sell without causing too much attraction. It wouldn't be the first time such a divorce has occurred for high net worth individuals.
[doublepost=1547154788][/doublepost]And the reality is he'll make it all back in a couple of years. If the divorce is a sham as I expect, it's an easier way to fund Blue Origin and other projects through obfuscation, because even with Bezos' yearly sell of stock, he was still rather limited on money. Space stuff is expensive.
I don't know about it being a sham... rumour has it (and I use the word rumour lightly; I heard it from some DJ on the radio this morning) that this divorce came about because a photographer shot a picture of him and his mistress at last week's Golden Globe Awards, and his wife saw the picture.

How much of that is true, I don't know, but if true, why one would do something like that to someone they've been with for 25+ years is sad.

BL.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I don't know about it being a sham... rumour has it (and I use the word rumour lightly; I heard it from some DJ on the radio this morning) that this divorce came about because a photographer shot a picture of him and his mistress at last week's Golden Globe Awards, and his wife saw the picture.

How much of that is true, I don't know, but if true, why one would do something like that to someone they've been with for 25+ years is sad.

BL.
Once one has a house and a wife with a kitchen one is no longer allowed to eat out any more. Makes you wonder though how loyal the other partner really is to you. One bad incident and they are willing to let you go. A woman can forget the 25 years of good life over 1-2 bad things and wish to part with you. Not only that but want half your worth net as well. For the extremely rich marriage can be a huge risk for a man

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009

BL.
Trial separations don't last less than a week before a decision is made. Also, the National Enquirer originally ran the story. While there may have been romantic feelings afoot, it still isn't something that isn't done. A sham divorce to get ahead financially and avoid oversight by shareholders and investigation by government bodies is in itself fraud.

And if I am wrong and they truly wanted to get divorced, he'll regain any lost assets and eventually buy her out.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Once one has a house and a wife with a kitchen one is no longer allowed to eat out any more. Makes you wonder though how loyal the other partner really is to you. One bad incident and they are willing to let you go. A woman can forget the 25 years of good life over 1-2 bad things and wish to part with you. Not only that but want half your worth net as well. For the extremely rich marriage can be a huge risk for a man
The thing is, they married before Amazon really started; 25 years ago, in 1994. That squarely matches up with when Amazon started as Cadabra. So he didn't have the money when they met, as compared to, say, Johnny Carson with his divorce, when he was already $300 million rich when he and his second to last wife met. So in effect, they built that empire together.

I don't doubt that if he already was worth that much BEFORE they married, a prenuptial agreement would have been signed. But it would be disingenuous to reduce what has happened to not being "allowed to eat out anymore." If Bezos indeed had a mistress, then that's the same infidelity we have seen many a person get taken down for, all the way up to and including the POTUS. Good case in point: Schwarzennegger.

BL.

mollyc

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2016
A published affair is hardly 1-2 bad things. Although I am no fan of divorce and would prefer to see people work it out, I'm not sure I'd forgive my husband an affair. Only the couple knows what really went on.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
A published affair is hardly 1-2 bad things. Although I am no fan of divorce and would prefer to see people work it out, I'm not sure I'd forgive my husband an affair. Only the couple knows what really went on.
SE is trying to equate infidelity with a whoopsie, like spending $50,000 on a Cartier gold watch. You can forgive a spouse for many things, including snoring every night, but infidelity is one of those tacit actions that when suspected or confirmed destroys a marriage.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Trial separations don't last less than a week before a decision is made. Also, the National Enquirer originally ran the story. While there may have been romantic feelings afoot, it still isn't something that isn't done. A sham divorce to get ahead financially and avoid oversight by shareholders and investigation by government bodies is in itself fraud.

And if I am wrong and they truly wanted to get divorced, he'll regain any lost assets and eventually buy her out.
It might be that the trial separation has been going on for over 8 months and that the mistress is Bezos new woman.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
The guy is smart, made a good business. Lots of smarts, skills and luck mixed in the proper doses.

Nobody becomes the richest man on earth through hard work. Go on Youtube and watch a guy slip down stairs carrying a pot of boiling stew to make minimum wage. It's "his fault" you wanted to go out to eat and not pay $500 for a bowl of soup, right?

I'm sure he (Bezos) will be fine, what with him only getting a few dozen billions instead of hundreds.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
The guy is smart, made a good business. Lots of smarts, skills and luck mixed in the proper doses.

Nobody becomes the richest man on earth through hard work. Go on Youtube and watch a guy slip down stairs carrying a pot of boiling stew to make minimum wage. It's "his fault" you wanted to go out to eat and not pay $500 for a bowl of soup, right?

I'm sure he (Bezos) will be fine, what with him only getting a few dozen billions instead of hundreds.
He will be fine alright. That new pu**y cost him billions of dollars. I can’t see how a pu**y be worth that much money. It cost him a lot more than what people are complaining about an iPhone upgrade costing them every year lol..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/10/jeff-bezos-forced-announce-divorce-ahead-story-8-month-affair/
[doublepost=1547171471][/doublepost]
And the problem with that is...?

BL.
No problem I guess if he is fine with it.. Funny thing is all these years he built Amazon on collecting fees from sellers selling on his platform. Some of those fees today add up to 50%. So after all these years of taking huge cuts from others someone took a cut out of him.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
He will be fine alright. That new pu**y cost him billions of dollars. I can’t see how a pu**y be worth that much money. It cost him a lot more than what people are complaining about an iPhone upgrade costing them every year lol..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/10/jeff-bezos-forced-announce-divorce-ahead-story-8-month-affair/
No problem I guess if he is fine with it.. Funny thing is all these years he built Amazon on collecting fees from sellers selling on his platform. Some of those fees today add up to 50%. So after all these years of taking huge cuts from others someone took a cut out of him.
Then perhaps he shouldn't have had an affair behind his wife's back, especially without playing CYA when it came to his finances.

But I think it is more telling how you are referring to women in this situation and complaining as if they are to blame. Sad.

And we wonder why #MeToo has grown the way that it has.

BL.

mollyc

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2016

Why are you blaming the wife and not the mistress?? Or even, the horror, the man himself??

Reactions: ChrisWB and bradl