Jeff Sessions fired

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Wow that didn’t take long

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
11/7/18, 1:44 PM
We are pleased to announce that Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States. He will serve our Country well....

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Who would want a job in Trump's cabinet?

No matter how much you believe in whatever brand of cluster ****ery Trump has for a legislative and governing agenda, the man treats his subordinates like garbage.

If you were a high-powered lawyer at a New York or Washington DC firm, would you take multi-million dollar pay cut for the chance of being dissed on Twitter? If you were a serving Republican Senator or Governor, would you consign your career to the trash can of history?

Because you just know its only a matter of time before Trump starts musing about firing Robert Mueller. And who'd want to be the axeman for that little piece of skullduggery?

Name one person who has stuck by Trump and could say, truthfully, that they've been pleased with the outcome? Mattis? Kelly? Melania, for pete's sake?

Maybe its a job for Lindsay Graham. If so, good luck to him. I wish I could say he'd be missed in the Senate. But I can't.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Who would want a job in Trump's cabinet?

No matter how much you believe in whatever brand of cluster ****ery Trump has for a legislative and governing agenda, the man treats his subordinates like garbage.

If you were a high-powered lawyer at a New York or Washington DC firm, would you take multi-million dollar pay cut for the chance of being dissed on Twitter? If you were a serving Republican Senator or Governor, would you consign your career to the trash can of history?

Because you just know its only a matter of time before Trump starts musing about firing Robert Mueller. And who'd want to be the axeman for that little piece of skullduggery?

Name one person who has stuck by Trump and could say, truthfully, that they've been pleased with the outcome? Mattis? Kelly? Melania, for pete's sake?

Maybe its a job for Lindsay Graham. If so, good luck to him. I wish I could say he'd be missed in the Senate. But I can't.
Jeff Sessions is probably being labeled a RINO on Trump’s Twitter feed even as we speak.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Let's call it what it is really called: A Resignation.
Even if a bit forced...

Whitaker to be interim ... hmmm .... Can he actually do this? He was never Senate confirmed in a leadership position ...
"At your request"

Isn't that like willingly jumping off a cliff?
Just slightly better than outright firing.

Way I am seeing this, Jeff was saying he was forced out, and the superlatives makes it sound like he wants to run for 202 POTUS.
[doublepost=1541623359][/doublepost]
Don't think that's gonna happen. Not with the Dems holding the house now.

If he does do that he's screwed.
It will be over 2 months, maybe 3, before the new members are sworn in, organized, and able to react to what #45 does.

Until then only the Republicans have power. Will they?

Reactions: JayMysterio

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
"At your request"

Isn't that like willingly jumping off a cliff?
Just slightly better than outright firing.

Way I am seeing this, Jeff was saying he was forced out, and the superlatives makes it sound like he wants to run for 202 POTUS.
[doublepost=1541623359][/doublepost]

It will be over 2 months, maybe 3, before the new members are sworn in, organized, and able to react to what #45 does.

Until then only the Republicans have power. Will they?
"You can either resign or I can fire you. Pick one." Looks like he chose "resignation".
BAU. ;)
[doublepost=1541623559][/doublepost]
Rod Rosenstein will be the next to go.
That won't be a surprise. I am still wondering why he still has a job...

Personally I don't think PDT will interfere with the Mueller investigation.
I wonder who is up next for AG.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Jeff says, "I did what you asked me to do, and you ****ing forced me out anyway."

In the nicer way of putting things in he's letter.

One less adult in the room.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Rod Rosenstein will be the next to go.
By the end of the day from the looks of it, we'll know more in the next hour. Trump is going down the path of Nixon in nearly every way. All I can say is he should've done that BEFORE the Dems got the House back.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

colourfastt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2009
By the end of the day from the looks of it, we'll know more in the next hour. Trump is going down the path of Nixon in nearly every way. All I can say is he should've done that BEFORE the Dems got the House back.
Those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it. Since tRump is famously (infamously?) known for NOT reading (the lingering question being: does he know how to read?), no doubt he has no clue about Nixon's actions and the result thereof.

Reactions: VulchR

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
Don't think that's gonna happen. Not with the Dems holding the house now.

If he does do that he's screwed.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/current/trump-fires-jeff-sessions-and-throws-his-administration-back-into-chaos

The immediate question is what will happen to Robert Mueller’s investigation of possible ties between Trump’s Presidential campaign and the Russian government. Because of Sessions’s recusal, the probe is being overseen by Rod Rosenstein, the Deputy Attorney General. But rumors of Rosenstein’s imminent ouster have been as persistent as the ones about Sessions. For half a day in September, in fact, it was believed that Rosenstein was out. For now Trump has chosen to bypass Rosenstein, installing Whitaker in the top job, albeit in an acting role. What does Whitaker bring to the job? Well, among other things, last summer he wrote a column for CNN entitled “Mueller's investigation of Trump is going too far,” and told the network that he could envision “a scenario” in which, if Sessions were ousted, his replacement wouldn’t fire Mueller but rather reduce his budget “to so low that his investigation grinds to almost a halt."

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The thing to keep in mind RE: Trump and the Mueller Investigation is this: Donald Trump doesn't know what Robert Mueller has uncovered.

One thing Mueller has done extremely well is to keep a pretty tight lid on where the overall investigation lies. He's turned over bit players (Manafort, Papadopoulos, Cohen, et al) to prosecutors.

But as far as the broader investigation? We have only very broad ideas. We know he's looking at Roger Stone and Carter Page. We know he's got the names of the Russian intelligence officers behind the hacking and meddling.

But we don't know what he's got on Donald Trump jr. We don't know what he's got on Trump himself. We don't know if he's talked to Julian Assange.

Prematurely moving to shut down the Mueller Investigation is, at this point, more dangerous to Trump than letting it go forward. Shutting it down now would open him up to a pretty clear case of Obstruction of Justice. It would also cost Trump some degree (not sure how much) of Republican support in Congress and the Senate.

The smart play for Trump is to let the Mueller investigation wear itself out. If he )Trump) is innocent, then he'll look like a victim of Washington insiders. If he's guilty - and tries to fire Mueller - he'll more than double the legal problems he and his family will face.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The thing to keep in mind RE: Trump and the Mueller Investigation is this: Donald Trump doesn't know what Robert Mueller has uncovered.

One thing Mueller has done extremely well is to keep a pretty tight lid on where the overall investigation lies. He's turned over bit players (Manafort, Papadopoulos, Cohen, et al) to prosecutors.

But as far as the broader investigation? We have only very broad ideas. We know he's looking at Roger Stone and Carter Page. We know he's got the names of the Russian intelligence officers behind the hacking and meddling.

But we don't know what he's got on Donald Trump jr. We don't know what he's got on Trump himself. We don't know if he's talked to Julian Assange.

Prematurely moving to shut down the Mueller Investigation is, at this point, more dangerous to Trump than letting it go forward. Shutting it down now would open him up to a pretty clear case of Obstruction of Justice. It would also cost Trump some degree (not sure how much) of Republican support in Congress and the Senate.

The smart play for Trump is to let the Mueller investigation wear itself out. If he )Trump) is innocent, then he'll look like a victim of Washington insiders. If he's guilty - and tries to fire Mueller - he'll more than double the legal problems he and his family will face.
If Trump had any sense he’d have never run for president.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Not at all sad to see this guy stuck in the 50's leave his job. Just hoping he's not replaced with someone worse.
Trump always finds someone worse.
[doublepost=1541629495][/doublepost]
Next to go is Kelly and Mattis.

Most of us almost forgot about those two Executive White House Babysitters. But which one is responsible for changing Donnie's diapers, and which one is responsible for placing the McDonald's orders?