Jeff Sessions tells DOJ to revisit Obama-era agreements with local Police Departments.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by noekozz, Apr 4, 2017.

1. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...agreements-with-local-police-departments.html

Interesting, getting close and closer to a police state.

And before the back and forth begins, please be aware that this tends to be a bigger issue in urban cities with a more diverse and larger minority population.

Personally I think what little change has been implemented these past few years between local authorities and the communities they serve will be discarded and stop and frisk policies will be doubled down. Add to that the current immigration policy, and you have a recipe for disaster.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

How does Trump revisiting Obama era policy bring us to a police state? Were we a police state prior to Obama?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Revisit doesn't mean blindly repeal. It means revisit. Obama ****ed so much up pretty much everything he touched deserves a review.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

We seriously have better things to "review"

If anything those "agreements" should be law that they abide by

6. 0007776 Suspended

We weren't but we were moving towards it. Obama at least froze that movement and somewhat started us in the right direction.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Agreed with 3 liberals in the same day. What's wrong with me?:(

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You bring up a good point. There's no reason that the Justice Department shouldn't review these agreements. It's a new administration.

That said, I have little faith in AG Sessions and I suspect that his knee-jerk defense of police will mean that necessary agreements will be rescinded.

There are police agencies that had severe problems—Chicago, Ferguson, New Orleans, Albuquerque—and little recognition from Sessions and the rest of the Trump campaign that the Justice Department was one of the best ways to reform these troubled agencies.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    Dear lord.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I keep seeing these kind of comments and I can't tell if you are talking about Obama or Trump. Because from where I'm sitting Trump seems to be ****ing up pretty much everything he touches.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Not sure agreements hold any weight........

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

An agreement with the Justice Department holds quite a bit of weight, especially when they're constructed in consent decrees and settlements.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

your like a rolling ball gathering liberal moss.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

They should be enhanced if anything. Sadly I don't expect that from cheeto Hitler
    Is that a fat joke?:mad:
    To think just how much I love you:(

14. Zenithal macrumors 603

I can just see a Spanish telenovella coming into view with you two. It's beautiful. :)

*Dramatic Music with Shrieking Violin*

"Ay dos mio! Stefan, por que mi amor?!" :(

Dun dun dun!

Clearly my travels through Seville did a gentle number on my idea of what a telenovella is.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Your true colors are shining through. Soon you'll be ready for food stamps, a Prius, and a sex change.

16. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Disagree. Many believed Obama was at war with many police departments, which undermined their local authority and credibility. I'm not condoning actions by bad actors in any police department, but an entire department shouldn't suffer based on the actions of a few bad apples.

Here's the memo Sessions put out on the new directive. Seems pretty balanced to me.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3535148-Consentdecreebaltimore.html

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Sessions was a buffoon as an AL senator, and now he's merely a bigger buffoon on a larger stage.

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

What problem could anyone have with that memo other than that it is "revisiting" something that the Chosen One did?

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Until we see the proposed changes - if any - we can't really be happy or angry about it.
    I am fairly certain that soon I will see the consequences of whatever action is taken.

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

21. AsherN macrumors 6502

You're evolving into a higher being.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

great, now I am going to smoke too?

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Shame they aren't talking about how it's not usually other LEOs that have the biggest issues. It's the damn Chief and other high ups that love sweeping under the rug. My guy has seen it at his PD and it drives him crazy.

It makes everyone look bad.

24. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Laws are written by the legislative branch not Obama.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    It's just the usual liberal nonsense.
    If Trump ever does create a police state most Americans won't even notice because they will be used to filtering out liberal hysteria.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Riiiiight. While I do agree that people can sensationalize at times, it's not limited to only one party. Do Republicans running around talking about "death panels" ring a bell for you?

In this case, the concern is understandable as Trump comes from an authoritarian POV. I could see a slippery slope leading us there. The people get upset, take to the street, some get violent, Trump restates that he is "the law and order president" and we need curfews and the beginning of the police state is here. He's already trying to build a wall. He's already tried to legitimize the media (yet strangely keeps running to it every chance he gets), he already has used techniques from the Russian playbook.

Is that the goal? Only Trump and company know. But Police states historically haven't pre-announced themselves.