Jeremiah Wright's "Audacity To Hope" sermon in 1990

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I just thought I'd post this "for the record". Also of note and with respect, not once in the sermon is the woman in the painting called a "honkey".
    http://jimbuie.blogs.com/journal/2008/03/obamas-pastor-j.html

~ CB

Attached Files:

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow. That has to be the biggest pile of racist poo I've run across since "I Have A Dream".

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You read the whole thing:D

4. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I'm not understanding your comment. Please elaborate.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sarcasm in light of recent arguments my friend :D

6. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Ahh, thanks. I assumed it could only be such, but I've seen enough odd comments over the past several days at various places that I didn't want to presume.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As I posted in some thread I forget, the MSM is biased. But not politically as most people seem to think, they live on controversy. I'm also reminded of the saying that a lie travels around the world while the truth is still putting on it's pants. Ok, doesn't quite fit, but why do I have the feeling this won't be played by the talking heads over and over again.

Still wondering though why Obama has to jump through hoops while McCain still has supporters and those on his campaign who've also made such comments.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think we need to take up a collection to get your sarcasm detector replaced sir! :p

9. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

That would be much appreciated. :D I can see now it must have been malfunctioning rather seriously.

10. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Context...

If anyone wants the FULL CONTEXT of what Rev. Wright said... feel free to check out these URLs. In retrospect, this is actually a church I'd go to. In context, the words resonate and stand in the root of intelligence and compassion.

http://baldeagle08.wordpress.com/20...or-jeremiah-wright-see-911-sermon-in-context/

YOUTUBE link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ

It's unbelievable ignorance to realize what the media has done in chopping these sermons up until they barely resemble what the man even said. Listening to this clip and realizing what was being shown, I feel truly sick to my stomach.

~ CB

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As well you should. We all should. But hey, at least we got a great speech about it. Reminded again about how a lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still putting it's pants on. Reason doesn't sell papers.

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Since I'm a "typical white guy", can you make that shorter. Really, since I'm a "typical white guy", I'm not that smart and lose track of the point after the first three lines. Can someone me a short version of what that the race baiter puppet master said? Please, help out a "typical white guy"...please. :mad:

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Again, missing the point. This is exactly what he's been talking about. So much good in that speech was missed to focus on trying to turn the argument into the exact opposite of what he means. He was defending his Grandmother, and other typical white people. Read: normal and understandable. Good people, who might say and/or do things that could be considered not so great and why. Same type of thing with his pastor, who might be a "typical" black person otherwise, but when this part of what he says is dissected without context, this is why we get to where we are and where we stay. If you read the whole speech where he says this, in context, you get what he's saying. Unless you'd rather just pick the part(s) you don't like and attempt to twist it into the opposite of what he's saying to justify what you already believe, and don't seek to delve deeper.

The more I hear and read comments like this, the more I think Obama was absolutely correct about what he actually said, but can't help wondering if there is anything we can do to change that type of attitude, no matter how much we understand it.

Edit: I'm sorry to cross post, but this needs to be pointed out:

Mayhem At Fox News: Anchor Walks Off Set, Wallace Rails Network For "Obama-Bashing"
    Obama campaign praises Wallace, says Fox has been "deeply irresponsible"
    Poll: Majority Doesn't Believe Obama Shares Wright's Views

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think he said that people like you are scared sh*tless of black people. I think he was right, to judge by your reaction. Of course I may be oversimplifying, but you did want the short version.

15. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

No, here is the point. If a white person said "a typical black", there would be hell to pay. When he says it, it's not a problem in the main stream media. As to the political aspect – his base is already charged to the point of glowing, so this has very little upside for him. However, this will serve as a nice foil when he discusses race in the coming months - an issue he seemed invulnerable on a few weeks ago.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ladies and gentlemen.... the white resentment Obama spoke of is on full view right here.

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Word to that. I was about to respond to a post in the MBP forum when I saw this guy's sig. Five seconds of reading his back posts, and it's pretty clear where he's coming from. I'm going back to the forum with one more dude on the ignore list. Peace.

18. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I agree with Cleverboy. If I were to go to a church, I'd want to go to one that actually gave me reason to think rather than one that insisted I think a certain way. The thought of going to a church that gives me political advice on a weekly basis is unthinkable. Even worse is an Evangelical church that separates salvation from good deeds in this world; the only thing that truly matters is their personal relationship with God. This leads to selfish and judgemental behavior, the type that this country specializes in.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Depends on whether you meant it as a compliment or not. If I were to call someone a "typical American" am I insulting them or complimenting them? That's why context is everything, and why yes, you are missing the point.

Yes, that's why it's over the MSM and they're still talking about it. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, almost no one is talking about McCain's guys, who are still part of his campaign.

And people like you already hate him, and nothing he says or does can change that, so what's your point? I wasn't an Obama supporter before, but I'm becoming more so. That speech really helped. If this is all you have against them, you have nothing.

I'm hoping we can move past this and start talking about things that actually matter, as apparently Obama keeps trying to do, but people like you keep trying to bring it up because you apparently don't have anything better on him.

20. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I couldn't help but notice that all the people that comment about Wright being a hate-mongering racist on the other threads are absent here.