Jericho, AR Police Officer Shoots Fire Chief Inside Courtroom For Contesting Ticket

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sit back and grab a bag of popcorn... this should be entertaining.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5haXSW0np0eqNFStaxdAeRzXQzBkAD9AG58C03

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

3. Vster macrumors 6502

"When I first moved out here, they wrote me a ticket for going 58 mph in my driveway," 75-year-old retiree Albert Beebe said.

LOL.

Seriously, that place sounds awful...:(

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's tough to get most 75-year-olds to drive that fast on the Interstate! :D

5. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

If I were to shoot someone in a courtroom I'd go to prison. A cop does it and they don't even note which cop it was. What a nauseating double standard.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

There are just so many things wrong with this story, I don't know where to begin. [​IMG]

Okay, yes I do. He doesn't plan to file charges against the unarmed man who was shot by one of the seven police officers who were "scuffling" with him? Gee, that's just so generous.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What gets me is 7 cops for 174 citizens..Thats one cop for every 24 citizens..

Either crime is WAY high in that town or there's some crooks running it.

8. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I kind of feel bad for the local sheriff's dept... it sounds like they're getting left cleaning up this mess after the police department disbanded and the judge quit. Not to mention it appears they leased some of the vehicles to the Police Dept that they weren't paying for. Sigh. What a mess.

It'll be interesting to see if the sensationalistic side of the media swarms down on this little town to find out just what's going on.

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

In small areas, it's good that the Sheriff is an elected official. For this reason, they usually use common sense. It sounds as if a City Council meeting should have been called to disban the majority of that Police Dept. a long time ago.

Yes,
    there. It's the run away Police Dept.!!!!

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like Northern Virginia actually. Most people who moved to NOVA / Dulles Toll Road (Route 267) area will get a ticket within the first year of living in that police trap.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

"When I first moved out here, they wrote me a ticket for going 58 mph in my driveway," 75-year-old retiree Albert Beebe said.

Must be one long driveway! And wouldn't you think you might notice the cop behind the bush in your own driveway? Sigh.

Sounds like a truly messed up town. We have 7 (or perhaps 9) in a town of 10,000 - with twice the normal population in summer. And they don't really have enough to do some days.

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I thought sheriffs *were* the police chiefs in rural areas?

Not sure I understand about the police dept being disbanded and the local sheriff taking over the patrolling with his police?

Also don't understand how a village of 174 people gets to have its own fire truck and its own judge and its own police force? Guessing at 2.4 people per house on average, that's about 75 houses. There's more than that in my small street here.

Also, a driveway is private land. I'm not from the US but I wouldn't think that state speeding laws apply on private land.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

That town could use a 'Great Flood' to wash it off the map.

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

The town has it's own police force. Within it's limits the police dept has jurisdiction.
    It's probably a rural volunteer department that services the entire county.

No, they don't.