Jerome Corsi Ethics Complaint Accuses Mueller of Coercing ‘False Testimony’

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jerome-corsi-ethics-complaint-accuses-203934964.html
Attorneys representing Jerome Corsi filed an ethics complaint Monday accusing prosecutors in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office of pressuring their client to provide “false testimony” against Republican operative Roger Stone and President Trump.

“Dr. Corsi has been threatened with immediate indictment by Mueller’s prosecutorial staff unless he testifies falsely against Roger Stone and/or President Donald Trump and his presidential campaign, among other false testimony,” Corsi’s lawyers, Larry Klayman and David Gray, said in a complaint submitted to acting attorney general Matthew Whitaker.
most prosecutors tend to fish with dynamite

Reactions: Rhonindk

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Last edited:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
There are two ways for something to be a perjury trap;

-The prosecution is deliberately misleading you to try to get incorrect answers, or
-You're guilty of a crime. Admit to it and you're in trouble, or deny it and you're now facing an additional charge.

I'm sure Mueller is really scared over this one.

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party

-The prosecution is deliberately misleading you to try to get incorrect answers, or
-You're guilty of a crime. Admit to it and you're in trouble, or deny it and you're now facing an additional charge.

You missed the third - memory recollection verification.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
You missed the third - memory recollection verification.

A typical issue among politicians, specially Trump admin personnel. So many forgot about the meetings with Russian officials and others. Kushner really suffered from this issue that he had to update his security clearance applications far to many times. Maybe Washington DC water is contaminated with bull-**** residue causing so many memory issues.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016

I'm not sure you really have a grasp on how these things works... Without getting into another word game with you, it can be a simple as 2 people telling different versions of an event or story under oath and who they chose to believe. The one who is disbelieved can be accused of perjury....

I do agree though, I doubt Mueller is worried about it at all....

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
I'm not sure you really have a grasp on how these things works... Without getting into another word game with you, it can be a simple as 2 people telling different versions of an event or story under oath and who they chose to believe. The one who is disbelieved can be accused of perjury....

I do agree though, I doubt Mueller is worried about it at all....
Well, I'm no expert but I would imagine the standards have to be more strict than that or you would see perjury charges a lot more often. People have conflicting arguments all the time and people aren't charged with lying or perjury, that's usually decided later during a trial.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Well, I'm no expert but I would imagine the standards have to be more strict than that or you would see perjury charges a lot more often. People have conflicting arguments all the time and people aren't charged with lying or perjury, that's usually decided later during a trial.
Hence perjury trap... It's a trap to wrap someone up in a charge. While that charge may not fly in court and result in a conviction, the accused may very well spend tens or hundreds of thousands defending themselves against it. The enormous cost of defending yourself, especially in Federal court, causes a plea deal to the charge as the accused has no meaningful way out unless they have bottomless pockets...

I'm not insinuating it happens often or is even common practice but it is something to consider....

Reactions: Rhonindk

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
How avoid a perjury trap:

A. Don't lie.
B. Shut the hell up and ask for your lawyer.

There's no voodoo here. And, anyone trying to sell you on the idea is tying to cover up the fact that either, they did A. or were too stupid to do B.

I do love all these new fans of due process and problems in federal investigation. Let's see how long that idea lasts when some environmental group gets hassled by the FBI, or DHS folks prosecute asylum seekers.

Yeah, it cuts both ways, but it's interesting to see how the "law's the law" crowd suddenly turns defense witness when it's some Trump-adjacent goon facing the G-men.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Corsi doesn't pass the smell test. He claims he didn't remember the emails until he saw them again - but in the interview is so excited and told the interviewer what a big deal what Assange had was back then and everyone wanted to know. He somehow remembers the details around a specific email that he wrote during his anniversary trip. Also - he's a conspiracy theorist. Still a birther...

Reactions: hulugu and mudslag

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Seems to me, Corsi's credibility here will be determined by whether he was, in fact, a go between via Stone and Assange.

According to Corsi, prosecutors continue to offer him leniency in exchange for his admission that he served as a middleman between Stone and Assange — a charge that Corsi continues to deny.
In the legal since, that would mean that Mueller would have to prove that. However for the purposes of what may or may not be ethical, Mueller would likely only need some evidence that tends to point in that direction.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Seems to me, Corsi's credibility here will be determined by whether he was, in fact, a go between via Stone and Assange.

In the legal since, that would mean that Mueller would have to prove that. However for the purposes of what may or may not be ethical, Mueller would likely only need some evidence that tends to point in that direction.
His emails SEEM rather damning.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
His emails SEEM rather damning.
But damning of what?

It's not illegal to conspire with a news agency to print the truth.

If Mueller can paint a legal picture of Wikileaks as a Russian cutout operation, he could likely link Assange/Corsi/Stone to some sort of illegal or unethical actions, but I think we are a long way from Mueller being able to prove that to a legal standard.

That's often the beauty of a good cutout operation, it normally leaves plausible deniability, or in the legal sense, reasonable doubt.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But damning of what?

It's not illegal to conspire with a news agency to print the truth.

If Mueller can paint a legal picture of Wikileaks as a Russian cutout operation, he could likely link Assange/Corsi/Stone to some sort of illegal or unethical actions, but I think we are a long way from Mueller being able to prove that to a legal standard.

That's often the beauty of a good cutout operation, it normally leaves plausible deniability, or in the legal sense, reasonable doubt.
I was responding to "admission that he served as a middleman between Stone and Assange — a charge that Corsi continues to deny."

His emails seem damning to his denial. His emails seem to imply that he was, indeed, a (but perhaps not the only) middle man.

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I was responding to "admission that he served as a middleman between Stone and Assange — a charge that Corsi continues to deny."

His emails seem damning to his denial. His emails seem to imply that he was, indeed, a (but perhaps not the only) middle man.
They imply he had knowledge of what Assange was going to print, but not that it was direct knowledge. So I think he could only be categorized as a go between if it was direct knowledge, for all we know, it may have been common knowledge in some circles.

Surely, it's enough( the emails ) for Mueller to be within the bounds of ethics to pursue it in the course of his investigation, and it's not illegal or unethical for the police to lie, or stretch the truth to try and compel the truth for someone they think is lying.

Reactions: hulugu and samcraig