Jerry Falwell Jr: “A poor person never gave anyone a job”

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/jerry-falwell-jr-cant-imagine-trump-doing-anything-thats-not-good-for-the-country/2018/12/21/6affc4c4-f19e-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7923317a4dd8

The quote about poor people is what’s getting all the attention but I think the first part of his quote is even more appalling. What he’s basically saying is the ends justify the means no matter what the means are. Or put another way I don’t care that Donald Trump is immoral because he’s appointing the judges I like.

His comments on the poor though are just so wrong. Most of the jobs/wealth in this country has come from the purchasing power of people who are not rich. And this notion that poor people don’t give to charity is laughable. What’s most astonishing though is this is being said by a so-called evangelical leader. Falwell has just proven that evangelicals in the Trump era are complete frauds.

Reactions: PracticalMac

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Well, he’s not wrong.

Well, he is also not correct. The title of the thread is correct, the blue quotation is not. Despite the wealth of the US, it is down about 20 spots on the list of the countries that gives the most foreign aid based on their GNI. And it is really no secret that the US spends the vast majority of their foreign aid to gain political influence, and not to help people.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I find people, particuarly politicians, who evangelize at the very least incredibly annoying...

I suppose in part it depends on your definition of poor. Working in healthcare poor people give me plenty of work, granted they are funded by either the government (paid via taxpayers) or by their family members. Without them there would be far less healthcare to provide. I also volunteer (vaccination clinics and Narcan classses)- I’m not paid of course but it fulfills my need to give back and gives me another “job” which gives me purpose.

I think the notion that poor people cannot be charitable is absolutelty false. Perhaps they may not be donating substantial sums of money individually, but that does not mean they cannot and do not donate their time and other resources to charitable causes.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I find people, particuarly politicians, who evangelize at the very least incredibly annoying...

I suppose in part it depends on your definition of poor. Working in healthcare poor people give me plenty of work, granted they are funded by either the government (paid via taxpayers) or by their family members. Without them there would be far less healthcare to provide. I also volunteer (vaccination clinics and Narcan classses)- I’m not paid of course but it fulfills my need to give back and gives me another “job” which gives me purpose.

I think the notion that poor people cannot be charitable is absolutelty false. Perhaps they may not be donating substantial sums of money individually, but that does not mean they cannot and do not donate their time and other resources to charitable causes.
I think places like Walmart prove his theory ridiculous. Walmart employees millions of people in service of providing low cost goods to people who are not well off. As far as charity goes I think a lot of Republicans and conservatives would bristle at his comments because it’s absolutely true that some of the most charitable people are those with meager means. And Republicans/conservatives have been pointing that out since forever. Of course in the age of the #MAGA cult all logic goes out the window in slavish devotion to the cult of Trump.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/jerry-falwell-jr-cant-imagine-trump-doing-anything-thats-not-good-for-the-country/2018/12/21/6affc4c4-f19e-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7923317a4dd8

The quote about poor people is what’s getting all the attention but I think the first part of his quote is even more appalling. What he’s basically saying is the ends justify the means no matter what the means are. Or put another way I don’t care that Donald Trump is immoral because he’s appointing the judges I like.

His comments on the poor though are just so wrong. Most of the jobs/wealth in this country has come from the purchasing power of people who are not rich. And this notion that poor people don’t give to charity is laughable. What’s most astonishing though is this is being said by a so-called evangelical leader. Falwell has just proven that evangelicals in the Trump era are complete frauds.
I never thought in the period of 50 years would I see Christianity corrupted in this manner, where Falwell becomes a Trump cheerleader, spews nonsense, arrives at conclusions that are the antithesis of what Christianity is supposed to stand for, just like a Trump clone and the sheep nod their heads in agreement. Group psychosis? Does this mean if you believe in the magic man in the sky, you can believe Trump is a moral person too? Sad... for all of us. :mad:

It sounds like Beezlebub, the merry prankster has taken charge. So, it’s only in Heaven you treat others as you would like to be treated, but on Earth we strive to be profitable. :oops: Exhibit A for the lunacy of Religion, even worse when it’s twisted by a conservative evangical with a political agenda, and most damning is to hold up Trump as an example of the beast choice. Boy, has the flock lost their way with leadership like this.

Christian leader Jerry Falwell urges Trump support: 'He’s a moral person'
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/09/christian-leader-jerry-falwell-urges-trump-support-hes-a-moral-person

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, doesn’t that just epitomize the philosophy of modern big box Christianity? :confused:
I can’t say for sure today, what percentages embrace the extra self serving madness espoused by Fallwell, but the evangicals, the ones who claim to be the most in touch with their religion, it looks like 81% in 2016.

It’s the purposeful subversion of traditional Christian moral messages, by a conservative Christian with a political agenda, who claims to represent Christians is the bothersome part. When a den of the Devil, claims they represent Christianity, without substantial pushback from the flock, then the faith is in deep trouble, and the sheep deserve their sheering.

Based on the 2016 ejection, it looks like the majority of white Christians and Mormons don’t seem to realize their on the elevator to Hell. ;) Or maybe they do, and this is what Neo-Christianity looks like.

2324226B-CEB7-4CE1-B9FB-8A5C3FD7DD47.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/how-the-faithful-voted-a-preliminary-2016-analysis/

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Well, he’s not wrong.
[doublepost=1546435416][/doublepost]

What’s with all the hate?
He is wrong in the eyes of Jesus, you know, the guy we claim to follow. Mark 12:41-44, the old widow donating money at the temple. She only gave 2 bits, yet Jesus said she put in more than everyone else. As I recall, Jesus didn't have a coin to his name when he went preaching. When it came time to pay taxes, he pulled money out of a fish. Matthew 17:24-27

And hate? I just see him being honest. A lot of us are good a preaching a good game, but when it comes doing good, we shirk responsibility. Straight from the horse's mouth, Matthew 25:31-46. The tl;dr version: If you talk the talk, you need to walk the walk.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
He is wrong in the eyes of Jesus, you know, the guy we claim to follow. Mark 12:41-44, the old widow donating money at the temple. She only gave 2 bits, yet Jesus said she put in more than everyone else. As I recall, Jesus didn't have a coin to his name when he went preaching. When it came time to pay taxes, he pulled money out of a fish.

And hate? I just see him being honest. A lot of us are good a preaching a good game, but when it comes doing good, we shirk responsibility. Straight from the horse's mouth, Matthew 25:31-46. The tl;dr version: If you talk the talk, you need to walk the walk.
My guess is his claiming to be atheist makes it easier to reject what the Bible has to say.

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
I wish both parties would leave religion out of politics, due to the fact that both sides are hypocrites when it comes to Christianity.
[doublepost=1546447811][/doublepost]
Matthew 25:31-46. The tl;dr version: If you talk the talk, you need to walk the walk.
I agree with you. I also see why you post this verse. The thing is, anyone can talk the talk, you’re just basing everything on the ones that don’t follow through. I know many good loving Christians that support not only our local communities but travel the world to help make it a better place for the ones less fortunate. However, there are “Christians” that don’t walk with Christ and they are the ones who make Christians look bad. I will agree with the ones that can’t stand it. I can’t stand it, but I do not judge every Christian I know or see because of lukewarm followers.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
His comments on the poor though are just so wrong. Most of the jobs/wealth in this country has come from the purchasing power of people who are not rich.
Not saying I agree with everything that Mr. Falwell has said. Taking from Ben Shapiros playbook on free enterprise & Capitalism. He also contends jobs don't come from poor people. But from products and services from companies and businesses who provide the jobs to the poor so that they can then purchase those goods and services.

But I can see the interpersonal relationship between the two are dependent on each other in some way. But that money has to come from somewhere to allow poor ( Or middle class ) people to even have purchasing power to begin with.

Reactions: Solver and raqball

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Whoa to any person that matches some identity you hate.
If by "matches some identity hate," you mean a prominent evangelical leader who makes the perverse claim that it's consistent with his Christian beliefs to support a corrupt, amoral clown as president as long as that president supports conservative policies he likes, then I'm not going to apologize for wishing eternal damnation for such a hypocrite.

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
I wish both parties would leave religion out of politics, due to the fact that both sides are hypocrites when it comes to Christianity.
Yep, I'd rather everyone just shut up about it. When Sessions quoted the Bible to suggest that it says "obey your president" I just eye-rolled with much of society. Why even bring something like that up? People can quote the Bible to support just about anything they want. It often does one little good.

If by "matches some identity hate," you mean a prominent evangelical leader who makes the perverse claim that it's consistent with his Christian beliefs to support a corrupt, amoral clown as president as long as that president supports conservative policies he likes, then I'm not going to apologize for wishing eternal damnation for such a hypocrite.
Part of my rejection of mainstream religion has been the rejection of the concept of eternal damnation. I've come across some Christians who seem to feel a smug sense of satisfaction with the idea that those who don't believe what they believe will be eternally damned (as in, 'well you might disagree with me, but we'll see who's laughing when you're in hell!') And frankly I find that attitude abhorrent.

There is something satisfying about self-righteous moral crusaders who are debased themselves, and I'll call out their hypocrisy and lack of integrity all I want, but I won't bring eternal damnation into it. That's just stooping to their level.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Well, he’s not wrong.
Aherm:

And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,

And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:

Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.
And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.​

Mark 12: 41-44, King James Version.

Oh yeah: And Jesus Christ was poor.

You, and Falwell, stand dutifully and biblically corrected.

BL.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Aherm:

And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,

And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:

Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.
And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.​

Mark 12: 41-44, King James Version.

Oh yeah: And Jesus Christ was poor.

You, and Falwell, stand dutifully and biblically corrected.

BL.
I didn’t say poor people can’t be charitable. In fact many times those are the ones who are most charitable.

However, he’s not wrong saying that it’s not likely that a JOB has ever been offered BY a poor person. Quite the reverse, actually.

So, he’s not wrong about charity vs a job.

So, now you may try again to misconstrue my comments as I have not been dutifully and bibically corrected!

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I didn’t say poor people can’t be charitable. In fact many times those are the ones who are most charitable.

However, he’s not wrong saying that it’s not likely that a JOB has ever been offered BY a poor person. Quite the reverse, actually.

So, he’s not wrong about charity vs a job.

So, now you may try again to misconstrue my comments as I have not been dutifully and bibically corrected!
Ummm... Falwell's vocation is his job. And guess who called him for that vocation?

You guessed it: A poor man, in Jesus Christ.

My comment stands.

BL.