Jerry Lewis' anti-gay slur

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

As far as I'm concerned, this is almost a non-event.

I say "almost" because you can't deny that Lewis said something entirely inappropriate over the air.

But I think his apology was exactly right. He did it immediately, and took full responsibility. That, together with the fact that most people believe that he is basically a very decent person, will go a long way towards keeping this from blowing up the way the Don Imus thing did.

(Plus, Al Sharpton doesn't have an ax to grind in this matter. The reverend seems to worry only about racial slurs.) ;)

What's the perspective from the gay contingent here? Were you offended? Do you accept the apology?

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I guess it is going to be many generations before some people can just accept people for who they are, without having to focus on what they are not; just like them.

3. Queso macrumors G4

I'm more shocked by Jerry Lewis still being alive than anything. I could have sworn he was dead ;)

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I think that people his age can be cut a little slack. For most of their lives talk like that was seen as acceptable. It's not as though he dug in his heels and insisted it was okay, just a very human slip-up from a tired person who grew up in a different world.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Me too I thought he'd croaked back in the sixties.:confused:

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We're talking the comedian here, not the Great Balls of Fire guy, surely.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yeah the "comedian" last time I seen him was in "It's a Mad Mad Mad World" sometime in the sixties,he used to make me feel ill. Jerry Lee on the other hand is still rocking.
    ( actual I was being sarcastic his career died in the sixties and I was hoping he had as well,Bruce, Pryor and Hicks dead and that f*cker still walks the planet,definitive proof if it was needed there is no God.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The Gay Community must really be flaming about this one. :)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not really. Jerry Lewis is irrelevant. It's just another nail in the coffin of his long-dead career. I doubt many of us will give a sh*t. Maybe gays in France will be upset. :)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's weird because he had like three whole frames in this movie (along with just about everybody else you could mention), but he starred in several films afterwards and had his own TV variety show. Also some of us have apparently never seen "The King of Comedy." His last hurrah in the movies. Not very recent, but not 40 years ago either, and it was directed by Scorcese and starred DeNiro. Lewis has also been a fixture with these Labor Day telethons absolutely forever.

Anyway, poor Jerry. He really hasn't been at all well for many years.

11. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You just put horrible images in my mind. :(

13. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Harsh comments imo....

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So were his.

15. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

that doesn't make it right....no bigee I was just commenting...not trying to be rude...

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Seriously? I hear gay people using this term all the time.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Would you call an African American person an illiterate ni*****? Honestly? Then why do you think this is OK? Do they use it themselves? Sure. No different. Who/where the comment comes from does make a difference. Anne Coulter said it and this whole forum had it's undies in a bunch. Just because it comes from Jerry doesn't make it OK. But hey- next time I'm not sure if I should be offended, I'll give you a call and you can help me out.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree with you Lee. I would never use either term because it is just plain disrespectful. There are certain terms that people just shouldn't use unless they belong to that group. Especially on national TV. Especially on a program aimed at helping kids. Especially if they are trying to get people to donate money.

I wonder how many people decided not to donate because of his comments. I also hate to think how many people might have donated because of his comments.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

His long dead career must be helping a few kids with Muscular Dystrophy.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So its ok for gay people to call each other "fags" but not anyone else?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So you think his little comment was just fine, I suppose?

Oh I don't know. Walk up to me, say it to my face and see what happens. ;) Where the word comes from does make a difference.

22. Queso macrumors G4

British people say fag all the time.

"I'm just going outside for a fag"
    "Fancy a fag break?"
    "Get your fag away from me. It's making my eyes water."

etc.

:)

23. calculus Guest

calculus

Why in France?

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha-ha! It's a funny old joke that Jerry Lewis is a genius in France. :)

25. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Of course it is. You can always use slurs or make jokes about yourself and any group you are part of. Adam Sandler can do comedy that pokes fun of jews but if a non-jew did the same exact comedy it would be anti-semitic. Chris Rock can rip African Americans but if a white person does it the comedy is racist. The gay friends I have had were always ripping each other and using what would be considered slurs by most people, but if someone else used those terms towards them it would be a lot different. I can make fun of Christians but if someone else does it... well... nevermind. :eek:;)