Jesse Jackson attacks MLB again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by furcalchick, Jan 31, 2008.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

jesse jackson is after mlb again, and this time it's because the umps background checks included a question to their neighbors 'is mr. x a member of the kkk?'

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-umpires-backgroundchecks&prov=ap&type=lgns

i think asking if a person is a part of a hate group is a valid question. mr. jackson is going overboard again, they are not equating southern, or any, whites for being supremacists. they are asking a legit question to see if the person is a bit shady. and if he was really for black progress in baseball, would he really want kkk members umping games?:confused:

i was going to post this in the hotstove thread, but i think this topic should be put in this forum due to it's nature.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

^Seconded.

Talk about someone desperate to recapture some publicity!

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I see he's finally getting over the Stigma of Cheating on his wife...

Do as I say... Not as I do...

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It's funny that to some Jackson can do nothing right. Here he is defending white umpires from MLB's intrusive background checks and he is lambasted for doing so. Go figure! :rolleyes:

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

My, what an enormous generalization . . . based on such extensive knowledge of people posting. :rolleyes:

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Rohan said she told Christopher that Kulpa lived in a manner similar to that of his neighbors.

"He asked if Ron belonged to any groups or organizations," she said.

"Groups?" she remembered replying.

"You know, like the KKK," she said Christopher told her.

"We both laughed and I said no," Rohan said. "He belongs to a neighborhood Harley-riding group of dads."

God forbid that anybody ever should say something off the cuff in a casual manner and joke about it! Oh! The horrors!

Sarcasm mode off.

This J. Jackson creature spends entirely too little time beneath his flat rock. But, gotta give him credit--if that's a proper word usage--for one superb skill: Playing the race card for $$$$$.

'Rat

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Actually, I'm surprised at people's reactions to this. Jackson is usually stereotyped as highlighting, reinforcing, or even creating racial tension. Here he is pointing out that randomly digging through people's lives to figure out if they're racists is a bad thing, and the same group of individuals who call him out for pointing out inequity is up in arms again!

I'm not saying I love everything Jesse Jackson does. Usually, he gets on my nerves. But it does seem a little odd that the man can do no right in so many people's eyes.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Ya' know I had to reread the article.

So the MLB is investigating caucasian umpires about possible KKK membership and Jesse Jackson is irate???

It's both funny and sad in a way, you have to know that what Jackson is doing is making a preemptive strike against MLB for one reason ......

He fears that if the MLB is asking *those* questions about caucasian umpires, what kind of questions will they ask about minority umpires!!!!!

Or in the words of one local radio host ( off air of course ) " Jesse never defends the white man unless he can make the blacks benefit "

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The reason most people are turned off by JJ is because he's a self-promoting, media whore, hypocrite always looking for a "problem" to exploit so he can get his face on TV and name in the papers. This latest instance seems to be no different. Contrary to JJ's sensationalized, made-for-the-media sound bite, MLB is not saying every southern white male is a member of the KKK.

Same crap, different day.

Lethal

11. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    In the end, I guess we're all that cynical. Personally, I think its a good thing what he's doing. He needs to do more of it when he can, but his credibility is pretty low. Some folks criticizing certain black leaders for only championing "black" media stories need to take some notice and keep an open mind. If you don't stay balanced you become part of the problem yourself.

~ CB

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Jesse Jackson contributes nothing positive to our discussion.

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No, no generalizations on my part. I was dealing with some very specific examples of ad hominem attacks on Rev. Jackson, including your oh so insightful second of one, that are totally unresponsive to the thread topic. Only posters taking the opportunity to take generalized shots at Jackson without comment about the issue of whether or not umpires have a right to not have their neighbors and friends quizzed about their political views by MLB.

Having had the opportunity to hear Jesse Jackson speak out for causes that hardly anyone else gave support to at the time - such as the rights of workers on strike in Watsonville's strawberry fields - I know what good he is capable of. I don't see the above attacks on Rev. Jackson as either informed of the man's history, or informative on whether his contribution to this specfic issue is positive or not.

So far, I count the original poster's comments as the only thing of interest in this thread.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

He has my respect for standing up for a race issue, for whites(nothing wrong for standing for equal rights for blacks, in fact we need to, but sometime they over do it), not saying he is right or wrong, but many people in that field are never around when issues about racism come up with white people on the end getting hurt(I'm looking at you Al Sharpton!)

To me, this is a sign of a man who wants equal rights for all.