Jesus Guns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ran across this article a couple days ago.
    This is exactly the kind of thing that gives thugs like al Qaeda an excuse to say we're on a crusade, that it's our God against their God, that our military is engaged in religious conflict, that we're attacking them with holy weapons, etc. And for what? For a chance for some manufacturer to evangelize on the taxpayer dime? Why should my tax dollars go to proselytizing the fundamentalist Christian faith?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Brits have just taken delivery of a load of these too, and are expressing similar misgivings.

3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm disgusted that they put Bible verses on a device designed to kill people.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, the god of the Old Testament does exhibit some fairly blood-curdling traits and an occasional penchant for wholesale slaughter...

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

True. It's more the implications of putting the Bible on something designed to kill people. God in the Old Testament does most of the killing, and putting such verses on a man-made weapon draws an uncomfortable parallel with being God, or at least having God's backing in whatever killing you're doing. Dangerous and disgusting, if you ask me.

6. 184550 Guest

I don't view this as any different from a service member carrying a cross, star, crescent or other religious symbolism. I do believe that the person using the scope should have been able to choose to recieve a scope with a verse inscribed though.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why? Do you think bombs and missiles should have religious slogans on them too?

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

It's completely different. Wearing a cross, star, or crescent is identifying a person with a religion. Putting religious emblems on a weapon identifies the weapon, and thereby killing and every specific kill made with that weapon, with a religion.

9. 184550 Guest

If that unit, platoon or company elects to engage in that type of thing, then why not? The US Military hasn't made it against policy to let soldiers have/ believe in a religion have they? Arguably, the US soldier is as much a weapon as the weapon that he or she holds. The US govt spends millions to train them to kill the same way that it provides the funding for the purchase of weapons.

I believe in the HBO miniseries 'Generation Kill' the soldiers talked about how the US govt spent upwards of one million dollars per special forces soldier. Now even if it's half of that or even a quarter, then that is still a $250,000 weapon.

Edit: 'Macaddicttt' can assume this is a reply to their query as well.

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think "Romeo" DiCaprio had one first of a religious-violent image. But nothing secretly inscribed as the Christian image is right on the handle of the guns of the Montagues and Capulets. It certainly captures the weird marriage of "some" Christians and "some" members of the NRA and it's no accident this disturbing image was used in the film.

Attached Files:

• Gun.jpg
      Gun.jpg
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
  11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So you are OK with your troops killing in the name of some god or other, are you? Major Hasan Ali will be most relieved, I'm sure.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its OK, because God is on their side. ;)

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Nope, no good. A soldier is a weapon, but he is not ONLY a weapon. Big difference. There is much more to a soldier than a killing machine. A gun is nothing but a killing machine.

14. 184550 Guest

So I can assume then that you think all soldiers shouldn't be allowed to practice any sort of religion and should instead be mindless killing machines?

That's much more comforting. :rolleyes:

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

True, but the New Testament, with Christ acting the way he did with peace, when he could have easily started a military uprising, is not in line with guns. Christianity or Islam, and many other religions just don't mix with guns. If that was the case then you would see people going to Mosques and Churches wearing guns all around the world.

It's the extremists of any religion, who often resort to violence, who paint an inaccurate picture of Christ, Mohammed, Buddha, etc.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, I think all religionists should keep their fanciful ideas to themselves. I also think all wars are futile, rancid exercises by the politically incompetent.

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Would you have a problem with our military using sights (made by a company that has a $660 million multi-year contract to do this) that have atheist sayings on them? For instance "God is Dead."

18. 184550 Guest

If the military was, as in this case, oblivious to the inscription? Nope, I couldn't care less.

I completely agree that people should keep their religion to themselves.

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think that the basic concept of evangelism makes Christianity a religion one shares with anybody willing to hear the message. It's not a loner religion.

At the same time, Christianity should not be used as a motivational force to attack Islamic countries, lest we revive the shameful Crusades which was meant for the gold, not the gospel.

20. 184550 Guest

And this relates to what I said how?

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I was just referring to your one post, not the thread as a whole. Sorry for getting off topic from the thread.

22. gotzero macrumors 68040

The inscriptions are not on guns, they are on sighting devices. It is still incredibly embarrassing, but there is a small difference.

It probably started as a private tongue-in-cheek joke, but I think it is ridiculous and is something that should be corrected as soon as possible.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Were you the one who coined "War doesn't determine who's right, only who's left" ?

24. 184550 Guest

Ah yes, believe me, that bit was news to me. Never heard about in 20+ years of history courses.