Jet Black iPhones Face Global Shortage as New Color Proves Difficult to Manufacture

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple's new Jet Black color is a popular choice among early iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus adopters, but the new models face a global shortage as the new high-gloss finish has proven challenging for the company's manufacturers.

Jet Black models suffer from a low casing production yield rate of 60-70%, meaning that 30-40% of units do not pass Apple's quality standards and must be retooled, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple says the high-gloss Jet Black finish is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process.

When pre-orders began on September 9, shipping estimates for Jet Black models quickly slipped to November, but some iPhone 7 Plus models in the new color are now shipping sooner than expected. In-store availability of Jet Black models remains scarce, with only a few Apple Stores in France carrying the Jet Black iPhone 7 as of the time this article was published, according to iStockNow.

Kuo said limited availability of Jet Black models, along with stronger-than-expected iPhone 7 Plus demand driven by Samsung's recent Galaxy Note 7 recall, contributed to an initial iPhone 7 shortage.
    The analyst reiterated his prediction that iPhone 7 series shipments in 2016 will fall short of iPhone 6s series shipments in 2015.

Article Link: Jet Black iPhones Face Global Shortage as New Color Proves Difficult to Manufacture

2. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

Ten bucks betting that they will scrap this color option next year, with just the matte black option left.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I guess it's good that I liked the low gloss black better. Has been holding up quite well in the shop, office and every day use!

4. Asianpork macrumors member

*Reading this on my jetblack iPhone 7 and feeling special*...*realizing feeling special because of such a trivial thing is sad*...*Reading this on my jetblack iPhone 7 and feeling sad*

5. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

6. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

Apparently it scratches when you breath on it so yet again another naive set of problems created by Apple, a product too hard to manufacture and too easy get full of smudges and scratches and most people will put a case over it anyways so in the long run it is completely meaningless what color your phone is.

7. Zirel, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Selling the way they are selling, you're going to lose your $10.

It doesn't matter, they said it's going to scratch, people go for it anyway.

If there was an iUP program in Portugal, that would be the color that I would chose. Apple doesn't care if it's scratched or not when you return it.

8. barkomatic macrumors 601

I don't understand why it's so complicated to apply a shiny finish to metal. Car manufacturers have been doing it for years.

9. jshin100 macrumors member

jshin100

So glad I went with the matte black. Granted it won't be here until 10//26 but I think it looks just as nice as the jet black.

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Yep, this color going the way of the iPhone 5C, iPhone 5 Slate Black, and Space Grey next year.

They might add a matte blue next year.

11. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Seems a bit like the white iPhone 4 - with the we've got a new color, but can't produce it to scale reliably, but we're we're offering it for sale anyways. At least they're not removing it for sale. (yet)

>> The analyst reiterated his prediction that iPhone 7 series shipments in 2016 will fall short of iPhone 6s series shipments in 2015. <<

Considering this is the 2 year zone for iPhone 6 phones and numbers were down a good bit for the 6s, you would have thought this would have beaten the 6s no problem. It'll be interesting to see what the actual quarter numbers turn out to be, whether all these analysts are wrong or if we passed a (probably temporary) peak iPhone moment with the 6 and the new size.

12. polterbyte macrumors 6502

polterbyte

I'll be getting one and immediately shoving it into a good quality case. Then, a couple of years down the line, when I'm reselling it, the pristine condition is bound to get me a bit more money for it.

13. medazinol macrumors regular

medazinol

Never mind the finish, just trying to find a 7+ is proving very difficult in 128GB. I prefer the black face so that leaves just one choice for me.

14. Munky macrumors 6502

Not true. I took my palladium wedding ring to it. Didn't press down super hard but wasn't light on it either and it left no scratches.

15. Asianpork macrumors member

I don't know. The white color of IP4 had its growing pains too but they figured it out for the long haul. I think it's too popular to go away.

16. Munky macrumors 6502

2 choices.

17. Thunderhawks, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Thunderhawks Suspended

People don't hold cars in their hands, put them on tables, expose them to keys in their pocket etc.etc.

Most underlying metal for cars is steel, not aluminum.
    Coated aluminum has its own challenges.

18. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Difficult to manufacture? It's like I travelled back in time to the slate iPad Mini & iPhone 5.

Time to fire some people and bring in a team that knows what the hell they're doing. Giving up on black should not be an option.

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'm hoping that they continue working on and improving the process so that they can produce them faster next year, and that they won't be as susceptible to scratching. I'd really like one when next year's phone comes out.

20. LordVic macrumors 603

Or time to go back to the drawing board and re-design the colour and how it's applied?

sometimes, no amount of "firing" or employee bashing will fix a bad design / implementation.

I love the look of the jet black, but if manufacturign it seems to be very difficult to the point where an experience company like FoxConn cannot get it right consistently, thats likely on the design / development side of things than the people actually doing it

21. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Recently, Kuo was completely wrong about Apple positioning the AirPods above the Beats range.

He was completely wrong about Apple reducing the iPhone 7 production, while they actually raised it to about 100M to year's end.

He had some excellent connections in the past, but it seems it's not the case anymore, don't trust him any more than the casual forum guy.

22. Steve Staffan macrumors newbie

Steve Staffan

I just got mine on Saturday, and it's stunning in person. Very sleek looking.

23. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

No, they use paint. Apple doesn't.

24. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Makes me wonder if matte black iPhones (like the one I have and love) are actually rejected gloss black cases, that were media blasted :eek:.

Though, I totally doubt that is true.

25. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Gotta admit, that Jet Black does look pretty damn good. But the fingerprints. Ughh. Screw the fingerprints. If I was getting an iPhone, the Jet Black would be the choice.

Switching gears:
    This is dumb reasoning. It would seem more likely the Note's problems benefit other Android handset makers first, Samsung's S7/Edge next, and then, maybe, possibly, although unlikely, iPhone 7 Plus sales. Besides, Notes garner plenty of headlines but they're not Samsung's big volume seller or money maker.