JetBlack iPhone in a clear case - What do you think? Worth it or is MB better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nikhilnagaraj24, Sep 21, 2016.

1. nikhilnagaraj24 macrumors member

I am stuck like a million other people around the world trying to decide between JB and MB.

My JB iPhone 7+ is on the way, but I am not sure if I want to take a chance waiting as opposed to just getting the MB that is available in stores.

If any of you have your JB phones in a clearcase, can you please help me out of my misery?

Does the phone retain its 'shinyness' in the case? Or does it end up looking like MB in the case?

I know naked slickwraps can help with smudges and scratches, but I am worried about dropping the phone and making a dent to the chassis. So I have always used a case with my phones.

Is the JB worth it or should I say F*** it and get a MB? I'll have a clear case on it anyway

2. jbame macrumors member

3. nikhilnagaraj24 thread starter macrumors member

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

IMO it's unavoidable.

Even if you completely baby it from day one, Jet Black will still get micro-scratches from dust/debris that gets in the case over time or even from the friction that comes from removing your phone from the case every now and then to clean.

5. ru7hl355 macrumors regular

looks crap in a clear case, i went with a clear skin :D

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Clear cases always look like crap eventually. And every case will get lint and other debris stuck between the case and the phone, possibly doing more damage than leaving it out of the case.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If I were getting JB, I'd put it in one of the clear Spigen cases and enjoy the phone.

8. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I think the bottom line is if you really prefer one color to the other, you should get the one you prefer.

I preferred jet black to black and have been alternating between using it caseless and in the apple leather case. It's fine. Even if it scratches, I'd ultimately be less satisfied with a black phone that I chose only because I thought it was more "resistant" to something in the future (i.e. a scratch).

9. iPhaithful macrumors regular

iPhaithful

I don't know about anyone else, but I have the MB and it's slippery as heck without some sort of case to add friction....I heard the JB isn't slippery at all despite it looking like it is

10. idealcheese macrumors member

If you put a shiny clear case on a MB it's going to look like the JB.

11. flamingoezz macrumors member

i have a clear case and like it.

agreed, it'll eventually get scratched up from microparticles, but so did my other phones.

12. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

Any case there's still a risk of scratches from dirt under. A simple weekly take off the case and wipe everything down helps a lot. JB may still show wear though because it's glossy.

Clear do start to yellow and look bad faster, but really if you have to pay $11-12 every 6 months for one off Amazon it's still not a bad deal vs a more expensive case in the $30-40 range.

13. nikhilnagaraj24 thread starter macrumors member

The thing is I like both the colors. I had a chance to play with my buddy's MB for a bit and I liked it. Do I like it better than JB that I havent laid my hands on, is still up in the air.
    If I get a JB, I am definitely putting the slickwrap naked wrap on it to avoid scratches. But it may not fit into a regular case with the added layer. If I get the MB, then I'll just put it in a ClearCase for a bit and may rock it naked for a while(with or without slickwrap).

So Far

JB = Shiny and new (+1)
    = Fingerprints and scratches (-1)
    = Late shipping, so have to wait(-1)

MB = Available now (+1)
    = Will match my new Apple Watch Space Gray (+.5)
    = No babying (+.5) Since I dont mind the babying as long as my efforts wont be in vain

14. TiaSco08 macrumors member

TiaSco08

I have the Jet Black in a clear case and it looks really nice. I hear what everyone is saying about microabrasions underneath the case, but I have not had that happen in the past. I had my 6 for 2 years and it's in perfect condition. If you like the look of the JB and you're willing to use a clear case, I'd say wait for it. fullsizeoutput_fa7.jpeg

15. nikhilnagaraj24 thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Is that the Spigen Case?

16. lovelybai macrumors member

I haven't found any clear case that is almost free from fingerprint.
    It looks dirty and definitely hides the shine of JB.

I bought a MB and clear case, full of fingerprints.
    Then I changed to JB, both have fingerprints anyway.

Eager to see if there are cases that are really clear.

17. nikhilnagaraj24 thread starter macrumors member

Do you have a picture maybe you can post, please?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    I agree. The MB that my buddy had also was in a Spigen CC and it was full of fingerprints too. Have to baby the case too.

Good... all these replies are good info.

Thanks. Keep it coming guys. You'll help a lot of others here too.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Haha. Thats one way to look at it. Interesting!

18. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

FWIW, the matte black looks awesome in clear Spigen Ultra Hybrid case with black bumper!

19. TiaSco08 macrumors member

TiaSco08

Yep, it is a Spigen case. It did stick to the back of the phone initially, but after taking it off a time or two (breaking it in, I guess) it's perfect.

20. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

I put my JB in a clear Spigen case I had for my 6S to see and it looked like crap. The black shows every little speck of anything inside or on the case. A skin is the way to go for JB.

21. nikhilnagaraj24, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

nikhilnagaraj24 thread starter macrumors member

What do you guys think of the resale value a year down the line.

I know we dont have a crystal ball to predict anything. But just wondering what you all think.

I bought the 6+ and 6s+ (the 64Gb version) and sold both for $700 a year later. This is one thing that'll always keep me from switching to Android. Crazy resale value.

I am thinking because of the potential scratches with JB, the MB maybe worth more than JB in a year in the Used Phone Market. But if you end up protecting the JB with a skin and minimal to no scratches, it may end up selling for a tad more. I could be wrong though.

22. zuckuss00 macrumors member

I ended up going with the matte black. The main reason for me was the volume/wake button. For some reason it just felt like plastic on the Jet Black phones... The matte back case and buttons just felt different and more solid for some reason. I'm not sure if it was just in my head or not. I know it is the same material.

Plus I think the matte black contast looks very nice. I had a Jet Black iPhone 3G that didn't hold up the the daily wear and tear very well.

23. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

MB and into a case. Still get the shiny look without the wait...

24. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

I sent my JB back to Apple and got a MB coming.

25. nikhilnagaraj24 thread starter macrumors member

Why was that?