Jewish woman who asked to end workweek early for Sabbath says sheriff's office yanked job offer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 12, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...th-says-sheriff-s-office-yanked-job-offer.ece
    if your religious views interfere with your work then find another line of work...........

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The question is would a christian have been denied?

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

should be the same across the board.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I guess if the Job offer was working M-F 9-5 that might pose a bit of a problem.

It's my understanding that employers must provide reasonable accommodation for religious purposes. If the job was specifically looking for someone to cover that time, I don't see how this woman has a case. If they have to hire someone to fill in her leave, then this woman won't have a case.

The position she applied for is on-call. You can be on-call if you're adherently observing Shabbat.

I'm guessing she won't win this.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"Balderas' suit alleges she was offered a data management position with the sheriff's office Resource Development Division around July 10, 2013."

3 years. Did it take her 3 years to find a lawyer to take her case?

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

God will understand and forgive her for being a bit late. Oh well......

Prolly found someone else who didn't come with the same requirements.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I'm a Presbyterian and go to Sevice on Thursday Evening! Then I sometimes work on the weekends to service computers & networks!

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I think it took her 3 years to be desperate enough to sue :p

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Ideally an employer would comply - police duties don't have the same 9-to-5 situations some jobs have. I don't see why a flexible work arrangement could have been arranged under the circumstances.

It's funny, I was watching an old TV just last night where Archie needed his TV repaired but the repairman who came over had to hold off until Monday because he couldn't work after sundown on the day of Sabbath. Thankfully we just don't need to repair **** anymore, just throw it all out because it's easier, isn't it? Helps to make 'em cheap, too, regardless of how much they are sold for...
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---
    Life would be easier if we had a society based on one religion. Then we wouldn't have to have as many human rights to have to cater to because doing that hurts profit and stock owners, regardless of their religions and lives, certainly think their piece of paper of variable value is far more important than what's truly tangible in life...

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The article mentions that point.

They probably have call rotations, because it's not healthy to have one person on call 24/7 every day/week/month out of the year. If she can't be on call at certain times some weeks, it will put more pressure on others.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good suing. She should have the right to her religious day off - it shouldn't be a big deal.

There's always work that needs doing on a Sunday (which she'd be happy to cover)

12. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Remind me again why I am somehow constitutionally required to work my life around your superstitious nonsense? I'm so sick of everyone being hyper-sensitive when it comes to religion. So what!

It wouldn't be acceptable to miss work on certain days because you have to walk your dog. Why is religion so special? I don't care if you have to miss work in order to worship your superstitious deity, or if you have to miss work to watch Game of Thrones. I don't care. I can find someone else who doesn't have to miss work on that day.

If she were in some hyper-demanding field like software engineering, where head-hunters and companies will do anything to get talent, then maybe they would work around it. But she doesn't have hyper-valuable skills, so why do they have to care about her specific brand of religious superstition?

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Religion is a protected class. Game of Thrones fandom is not.

14. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

No, that's not the question. The question is not the beliefs of the candidate, it's the compatibility between their beliefs and the role.

15. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

But why is religious superstition a 'protected class'? Why do we have to respect people's various flavors of delusion....? If I am an employer and you're specific brand of delusion will inconvenience me, why should I be forced to hire you when there are other candidates that don't have that specific delusional nonsense that would inconvenience me?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because lots of people think religion is part of who they are.

Fundamentally who cares, you know who's always going to work Sundays and not care? This woman.

You know who's always going to work Christmas and not care? This woman.

17. Limey77 macrumors regular

Oh now that's a VERY interesting question on which I among others would have a lot to say.

In this particular case I don't see why a compromise couldn't have been reached so she worked every Sunday and her coworkers filled in her other shifts. I do sort of agree with an earlier poster; I bet if it was a devout Christian being "forced" to work on Sunday's then an exception would have been made.

As it is, (sadly) religion is protected, her potential employer made no attempt to accommodate her beliefs so she will win and quite correctly according to the law.

But hey, the law's an ass.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

This thing called the Bill of Rights.
    You know who is going to work on Christmas at that particular employment? Just about everyone seeing how it's a Sheriffs Department.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It's about reasonable accommodation though. Having to hire an additional employee or forcing other employees to work her shift who don't want to is apparently considered beyond reasonable accommodation.

If this was Walmart where you have 100 employees that might be one thing. I'm guessing this job was very specific without a lot of other people paid to do the same job.

20. Limey77 macrumors regular

I agree but if she was actually willing to work every Sunday and whatever else it took to work things out fairly - then she's got a very good case. Especially as it's a 24/7 role.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for religious exceptions. But given the current law, I think she has a very good case. Why it took 3 years to come to court is interesting but neither here nor their. Having worked for many years in insurance (yes another of my many careers) you often find that cases drag on in negotiations for years but ultimately have a date by which proceedings must be issued. So a common tactic is to appear to be negotiating and drag the negotiations beyond the issue date and then pull out, leaving the claimant ****ed. So it could well be that there's a three year limit and proceedings have been issued just to ensure a resolution, even if they're already in negotiations.

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The job is on call and the person is to be available 24/7. She doesn't use cars/telephones 1 day a week. Probably not computers either. She isn't a good match for the job. Being responsible for stuff 24/7/52 isn't for everyone.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It's nice she would accomodate working other undesirable hours, but if that's not what the employeer needs, that's not what they need. Granted, we don't know exactly what this job entails.

As a person raised in Jewdiasm, I know many people who are pretty adherent including some of my relatives. They are well aware that their religious lifestyle is in a way a sacrifice in that they cannot live entirely within general culture of America. Jews are "the chosen ones" not because they are better than, but because they're held to a high standard of rules and laws.

23. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Yes, why not?
    Are you sure about that? Many of my jewish friends would go to Florida for Christmas break, I think mom would be upset to be left behind.

24. Limey77 macrumors regular

I make no excuses ever for any religion. But this seems like it's a 24/7/365 role shared by several people all of whom will have to make some sacrifices. Given it's Texas, I bet none of the others want to work Christmas Day or Easter Sunday etc. My point being that I think it could have worked out. Was any attempt made? Was she so demanding that no deal could be made? Who knows. But it does seem, on the info I currently have, that it could have worked out (and quite well for her coworkers).

Again, I base this not on sympathy for "the chosen" but on US discrimination laws.