JFK Assasination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Nov 22, 2013.

?

Who killed Kennedy

1. Oswald Alone

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Mob

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. CIA

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Don't Know

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Bottom line question ...

Was Oswald the "lone gunman"?

Mob hit?

CIA?

Or ...?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've had it up to here with JFK already. Do we ever let anything go in this country?

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For many years I was certain that there was some kind of conspiracy, or at least a cover-up after the fact. The more I read, the more I looked into it, the more sense it made that it was Oswald alone.

I have never read the Warren Commission report, but I have read many other texts - from many differing points of view.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

5. Huntn, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It all boils down to what source or conspiracy theory you want to believe.

6. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I'll never forget where I was when I first heard about the JFK assassination anniversary.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The Warren Commission was right. However, it was extralegal if not outright illegal. Those that took Kennedy's body out of Texas should have been prosecuted for obstruction of justice. The horrible thing is that if Oswald had survived, the interference with collection of evidence from Kennedy's body might very well have laid the legal basis for acquitting him. It is also ironic that the WC was meant to suppress speculation, but because it was extralegal it only spawned suspicion. History will treat it as a massive mistake.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Was a complete autopsy not performed? What was obstructed? I ask not as a challenge, but for information.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I just found this, which would be interesting to follow.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch...xisted-in-1963-follow-live-tweets-from-nov-22

They just hit the time, down to the second, when JFK and Connally were shot. It's been interesting to follow.

http://twitter.com/todayin1963

EDIT: Interesting side note: I didn't know that C.S. Lewis died the same day.

BL.

11. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

and Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World

12. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Question remains why?

What was Oswald motive?

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The assassination of a president can have a myriad of motives. He's the president.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

An autopsy was performed, but the obstruction was that the Secret Service and/or FBI took the President's body away from the Dallas P.D. and back to Washington for an autopsy at Annapolis.

This doesn't sound like much in and of itself, but back in those days, it was not a federal crime to shoot the President - it was simply a murder committed in Texas, and Dallas P.D. and the State of Texas had sole jurisdiction.

VulchR brings up a very interesting point, had Oswald not been murdered himself by Ruby, a good defense lawyer may have been able to completely pick that particular misstep apart and make a decent push for an acquittal on those grounds.

I read that book several years ago. While definitely interesting, he gets some of his facts quite wrong, most notably the size (diameter) of the entry wound, and the position of Kennedy's head at the time of impact.

Oswald was dishonorably discharged from the Marines, and he tried (and failed) to defect to the U.S.S.R., who wouldn't have him. He wanted to be a "somebody," but he had always been a "nobody." A documentary I saw recently on CNN said that Oswald wanted to do something that would see him be remembered for 10,000 years, or something to that effect.

15. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Like trying to impress a girl. (that's been tried once ;))

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yup.And that girl turned out to be gay.

Poor guy. did it for nothing.

:p

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

That might be another fantasy for him. :p

18. 63dot, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Lone gunman?

Yes, because evidence suggests bullets from one direction and Oswald had the skill to pull it off. He was the perfect lone gunman with chip on his shoulder and Marxist leanings.

Mob hit?

Maybe, then I would look at Meyer Lansky. The only thing that may implicate him is he had the most motive and Jack Ruby possibly having ties to New Orleans organized crime syndicate of Lansky. Lansky had the resources to pull it off, get it blamed on Oswald if Oswald was indeed innocent or not the planner of the assassination, and cover it up. His ability to elude federal authorities and leave no paper trail made him the best equipped to do it if it was a conspiracy with Oswald only being the shooter and nothing else.

CIA/FBI?

Very unlikely but Hoover wasn't a fan of JFK.

Johnson?

Probably not. One can point out his wife's financial ties to Bell Helicopter who did handsomely in the Vietnam war.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He could of been solo and/or paid by the mob/Castro/?, but I don't know if they ever located any unusual sources of income. Or he simply had higher ambitions than shooting up a movie theater.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

He also wrote The Doors of Perception from which a relatively obscure group of musicians and a lost-in-the-fog-of-history poet took the name for their little bar band. The book was about grokking on peyote.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nothing I've ever seen has convinced me it was anything other than Oswald.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Oswald was the lone shooter. The question is was he put up to it. We know who shot him, we don't know if Oswald was just some loner with an agenda or were there others involved. There is still a lot the CIA hasn't released on Oswald.

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

All (credible) evidence certainly seems to support three shots fired by a lone gunman (Oswald).

The only believable evidence to the contrary was the Dallas Police Department Dictabelt recording that seemed to offer acoustical evidence of a fourth shot.

The Dictabelt recording was the reason why the United States House Select Committee on Assassinations' 1979 report concluded: "Scientific acoustical evidence establishes a high probability that at least two gunmen fired at the President. Other scientific evidence does not preclude the possibility of two gunmen firing at the President. Scientific evidence negates some specific conspiracy allegations."

However, an analysis of the Dictabelt recording, made after the HSCA hearing, concluded that these assumptions were unfounded, because that evidence relied on an incorrect timeline, i.e., the sounds were actually recorded one minute after the assassination had taken place.

The only question in my mind is whether Oswald was a lunatic or not.

If mentally unstable, then voices in his head may have told him to shoot Kennedy, etc.

If not, then did someone, or some group, have a hand in (at least) suggesting that Oswald should seize any opportunity to assassinate Kennedy, or even worse, was there someone or some group that provided him with more formal forms of support, training, or encouragement, etc.

24. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Just went frame by frame through the Zapruder film, and I've seen enough evidence to convince me that the fatal head shot does indeed come from behind.

I'm ready to change my vote and say now that it was LHO as the lone shooter.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I went through the film last week, and my conclusion was, "hey, WFC? time to put this thing away and get on with real stuff, like, that matters now, today."