JFK assignation... "game"

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
therevolution said:
What's assignation?
I think its a typo for assassination.

I think they are trying to get attention by choosing such a controversial idea for a game.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
The game is from the same guys that did "State of Emergency" which was in effect a riot simulator. A trend emerges.

Not sure what substance there is beyond a desire for publicity.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I assume he means "assassination"... ;)

At any rate, this is utterly distasteful and horrible, not to mention totally disrespectful. I will make note of the creators and company who are producing this and never buy anything from them again. What is society coming to when you get to recreate the assassination a US President - a REAL person, not even a fictional setting - and people are supposed to have FUN and ENTERTAINMENT from this?! This is a GAME?! Whatever happened to playing chess or playing an impromptu game of 3-on-3 or touch football? More and more kids are sitting on their lazy, fat asses staring mindlessly at a screen for entertainment these days and not challenging their mind and body anymore - and this has got to be one of the worst examples I've ever read about of "entertainment". :mad:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Doesn't surprise me that much. I've always wondered what guys who had been through the D-day landings in WWII thought of games being made of the experience - such as Medal of Honour.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
whooleytoo said:
Doesn't surprise me that much. I've always wondered what guys who had been through the D-day landings in WWII thought of games being made of the experience - such as Medal of Honour.
Actually when I played the D-day assault chapter in MOHAA, it gave me an appriciation for what those soldiers were up against. I died 20+ times easy before getting on the beach. When you think about it in real life, you get a better understanding for how brave those guys had to be... and the horrible human cost.

However I don't see that kind of merit in this JFK game... it's recreating a tragedy for sport. :mad:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
There will always be those that try to make money off of tragedy. If used as intended then the game might dispel many theories about the assassination. Having it be used just for the violence and gore would be wrong IMHO.

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
~Shard~ said:
I assume he means "assassination"... ;)

At any rate, this is utterly distasteful and horrible, not to mention totally disrespectful. I will make note of the creators and company who are producing this and never buy anything from them again. What is society coming to when you get to recreate the assassination a US President - a REAL person, not even a fictional setting - and people are supposed to have FUN and ENTERTAINMENT from this?! This is a GAME?! Whatever happened to playing chess or playing an impromptu game of 3-on-3 or touch football? More and more kids are sitting on their lazy, fat asses staring mindlessly at a screen for entertainment these days and not challenging their mind and body anymore - and this has got to be one of the worst examples I've ever read about of "entertainment". :mad:

I agree that it is disrespectful not only to JFK, but to his family. I live in the Dallas area and have driven by that very spot many times. An "X" marks the spot on the street. What's next? A game to see if you can fly a plane into the World Trade Center? Maybe you can get bonus points if you can hit both towers with one plane. I've played many games where I've shot up fictional characters, but I think a game based on an actual tragedy is done so in very poor taste.
:(

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
nfocus design said:
I agree that it is disrespectful not only to JFK, but to his family. I live in the Dallas area and have driven by that very spot many times. An "X" marks the spot on the street. What's next? A game to see if you can fly a plane into the World Trade Center? Maybe you can get bonus points if you can hit both towers with one plane. I've played many games where I've shot up fictional characters, but I think a game based on an actual tragedy is done so in very poor taste.
:(
There already is a game where you can fly into the World Trade Center. It's called Microsoft Flight Simulator, and was allegedly used by the hijackers to familiarize themselves with the aircraft. :(

The JFK assasination is a frustrating episode and sore point in American history, and will provoke a negative reaction here in the states. But many people overseas might not care...

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
Lord Blackadder said:
There already is a game where you can fly into the World Trade Center. It's called Microsoft Flight Simulator, and was allegedly used by the hijackers to familiarize themselves with the aircraft. :(

The JFK assasination is a frustrating episode and sore point in American history, and will provoke a negative reaction here in the states. But many people overseas might not care...

I should have known Microsoft would have it. I have heard of Flight Simulator, but haven't played it.

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
yeah, i read about it over on slashdot this morning. i was horrified also when i heard about it (and still am), but I read about it some more and its more aimed at trying to disprove conspiracy theories about the assassination (and assignation). its still sick, but not made to just shoot JFK
also, the company that makes the game is not in the US (scotland, to be exact), so they might not hold as former US president as high as we would...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
MOFS said:
What about those games that dehumanise the enemy? America's Most Wanted - the Game? Capture Saddam Hussain, Osama Bin Laden etc - in a friggin computer game. I think thats equally as bad as a JFK game...
Remind me. Osama been Hidin' and Saddam Insane. How many have they "dehumanized" again? :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Hemingray said:
Oh yeah, like JFK's any comparison to Osama been Hidin' and Saddam Insane. How many have they "dehumanized" again? :rolleyes:
Careful, before things get too political and this thread gets closed! ;)

Oh, and it looks like you changed your initial post... interesting... ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
eh.

really don't care.

i don't see the point... to most video games.

i think you're all pretty ...sheltered and naîve if you truly find this "sick"... it's silly and stupid, perhaps, but nothing close to "sick".

paul

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
nfocus design said:
I should have known Microsoft would have it. I have heard of Flight Simulator, but haven't played it.
Well I must say as a pilot in training its not bad software. But the thing that cracks me up is the interface(of 2004) it is completely an aqua rip off.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
~Shard~ said:
Careful, before things get too political and this thread gets closed! ;)

Oh, and it looks like you changed your initial post... interesting... ;)
Yep, afterwards I re-read my post and it sounded like I was accusing him of making a comparison to JFK and Osama/Hussein, which he clearly wasn't doing.

While I agree with the violence aspect, the fact that we, as normal citizens, get to take down guys like Osama that have committed atrocities against mankind, it's a release for people. I personally don't think there's any comparison.

palusami said:
off the subject here but Hemingray's signature line keeps crackin' me up!
Hehe! :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Raid said:
Actually when I played the D-day assault chapter in MOHAA, it gave me an appriciation for what those soldiers were up against. I died 20+ times easy before getting on the beach. When you think about it in real life, you get a better understanding for how brave those guys had to be... and the horrible human cost.

However I don't see that kind of merit in this JFK game... it's recreating a tragedy for sport. :mad:
I don't see how you can further appreciate what soldiers were up against simply because you found a video game to be difficult. Not even the same league.

And that last bit.........I really don't see the difference between that and FPS war games. Sort of hypocritical for you to say, in fact, as the event was tragic for a lot of soldiers and families, and yet there you are, playing a video game about it and dying over and over again.