JFK files to be opened

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
The wording makes it sound like he’s doing a very great favour to the nation whereas they would have been released next week if he had done nothing.

Still the release may put some of the nuttier conspiracies to bed
Nearly every media outlet reporting on this phrases it along the lines of “Trump to allow” or “Trump releasing”. Has the release been prevented by other presidents in the past?

Reactions: Naaaaak

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Nearly every media outlet reporting on this phrases it along the lines of “Trump to allow” or “Trump releasing”. Has the release been prevented by other presidents in the past?
I think that it’s a matter of expiration of terms. Trump has to decide if to extend the classification or if it’s time to release the documents.
[doublepost=1508596193][/doublepost]
Considering how many moon landing conspiracy theorists and how many flat earthers out there I would not be surprised if a new conspiracy theory will see the light after the docs are released.

martint235

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2016
Yep this is my point. The oompah loompah hasn’t actually done anything. He hasn’t allowed anything to happen at all, what he’s done is not use a presidential power to stop it.

Last edited by a moderator:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
As an historian, I always welcome the release of such files.
Yep! I can’t wait.

Too bad Oliver Stone had to cheat in his movie.
I was convinced of Oswald as the sole killer the first time I visited Daley Plaza. I could’ve probably done it, especially considering that the car was going at 5mph.
A few years ago I visited Oswald’s grave, finally marked as “Oswald”. Not far from here.

martint235

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2016
According to the act if he wants to keep them classified he has to provide a reason as to it being harmful to military, security or public from a very brief look

We have similar laws here but ours also include whether living relatives will be impacted.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
According to the act if he wants to keep them classified he has to provide a reason as to it being harmful to military, security or public from a very brief look

We have similar laws here but ours also include whether living relatives will be impacted.
So this thread is becoming a Trump thread again.
I am pretty sure that it’s easy to say that they are harmful.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yep this is my point. The oompah loompah hasn’t actually done anything. He hasn’t allowed anything to happen at all, what he’s done is not use a presidential power to stop it.
How could anyone accuse you of being negative when you are using terms like oompah loompah to describe the president.

Last edited by a moderator:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
You brought trump up in your OP.

So of course it's a trump thread.

He's part of the very subject that you brought up.
Tell it to USA Today. I just reported a title I am not responsible about.
The title I put on the thread is pretty clear about the topic.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
He may allow the release, but possibly only after redacting the hell out of them first. Hopefully it will be a clean release. It would also be nice if the earlier released materials were to be reissued without any of the earlier redactions made to them.

Reactions: MacNut

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The wording makes it sound like he’s doing a very great favour to the nation whereas they would have been released next week if he had done nothing.

Were they going to be released soon anyway based on a time period?

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Were they going to be released soon anyway based on a time period?
S.3006 - President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992

10/26/1992 Became Public Law No: 102-526.

Requires that each assassination record be publicly disclosed in full, and be available in the Collection no later than the date that is 25 years after the date of enactment of this Act, unless the President certifies that: (1) continued postponement is made necessary by an identifiable harm to the military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or conduct of foreign relations; and (2) the identifiable harm is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in disclosure.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/102nd-congress/senate-bill/3006
That source doesn't mention donald trump at all.

How odd.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
You chose your source and how to present it.

Then you blame your source. :rolleyes:
I don’T blame anything. I am sorry that your obsession with Trump doesn’t let you evaluate that the name of the President is the irrelevant part of the article that is there just because of the chronological factor that in 2017, as of today, Trump is the president. (And because some articles a few weeks ago were wondering about what Trump would’ve done with this).
[doublepost=1508601867][/doublepost]
That source doesn't mention donald trump at all.

How odd.
Yes it does.
“Unless the President.”

Right now, President 25 years after the act = Donald Trump.

Reactions: linuxcooldude

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
......Considering how many moon landing conspiracy theorists and how many flat earthers out there I would not be surprised if a new conspiracy theory will see the light after the docs are released.

anyway, as a Trump supporter, surely you already know why these files are being released! :p

Trump revives rumor linking Cruz's father to JFK assassination
A day after accepting the Republican Party’s nomination for president, Donald Trump rehashed a conspiracy theory that claims the man who killed President John F. Kennedy once cavorted with Ted Cruz’s father....
link

and just WHAT's wrong with the existing conspiracy theories? :D

I'm sure the midget would have some good memes about this, if he's ever allowed back from Hell

Reactions: citizenzen

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
anyway, as a Trump supporter, surely you already know why these files are being released! :p

link

and just WHAT's wrong with the existing conspiracy theories? :D
Well, let’s wait to see if the theory was right :) Just a week.

(Not a trump supporter.)

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Trump to allow release of thousands of JFK files by National Archives

https://usat.ly/2gyWwXD
Trump will thump. :)
From your article, by law these records were to be released:
President Trump has tweeted he will allow the release of thousands of previously classified files related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination. The files are scheduled to be released on October 26, 2017. USA TODAY

What’s this about a Trump obsession? I admit, he obsesses about himself, every damn day. Look who is tweeting as if he has a say? Does he have a say or is it law, ie already scheduled to happen? Is there any reason, Trump should be soliciting kudos on his own behalf, drawing attention to himself? Oh yeah, I forgot narrcacism requires it. :D

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
Well, let’s wait to see if the theory was right :) Just a week.

I'm sure there will be no end of new "absolutely proven" new theories....no matter what's released.

(and regarding the assassination, have you ever read Don DeLillo's novel "Libra"?)