Jim DeMint: Marriage essential for limited government

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Every once in a while you run across an opinion piece that is so stunningly brain-damaged, you wonder how the guy wrote the thing.

Exhibit A: Jim DeMint.

It goes on, but you get the idea.

Now, at the risk of belaboring the obvious-to-everybody-but-him, I'd like to explain a few things to DeMint.

The "dawn of time" thing gets me. Democracy came a long way after the dawn of time, and that didn't mean that monarchy, tribalism or feudalism were the natural order of things.

:confused: ...The mind boggles, but read on...

So let's not have more of it.

Jim hasn't noticed it, but the citizens are more and more for gay marriage...and so are their elected officials.

And here he goes on and on about divorce leading to poverty, etc...as if our socio-economic welfare trumps people's rights to happiness.

That right there is government intrusion, Jim -- defining marriage narrowly enough that it cost someone $350,000 in estate taxes.

How all this stuff goes WHOOSH! over DeMint's head just makes me shake my own in disbelief.

I guess we can file this alongside that idiot legislator a week or two ago who said, "I'm not gay, so I'm not going to vote for gay marriage." That was brilliant thinking too.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well having been married three times, I've done more than enough to hold back big government.:p

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Just another statement by someone blind to the nation's sentiments. He lives in a narrow little world where 75% of the nation is excluded simply because they don't agree with his simplemindedness.