Jim Tressel resigns as coach of Ohio State

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benthewraith, May 30, 2011.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Go Big Blue!!!!! Sorry, it is Ohio.. No love loss here. :D:):D

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Not a surprise, as the walls seemed to be closing in on him pretty quickly. As more and more came out I was wondering how long it would take him to quit.

3. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ohhh, how quick everyone was to vilify USC, when the truth is this kind of thing goes on throughout NCAA Division I programs. Everyone was just happy to jump into the USC feeding frenzy because they'd been winning so much for so long.

Closets open folks, there's the skeletons!

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It definitely sucks. I hate how the coach was responsible for babysitting the players and making sure none of them did anything against regulations. That shouldn't be any coach's job, regardless of program or prestige.

And like you said, this happens at any school where football is relevant, just some schools get busted and some don't. According to the NCAA, Tressel was clearly in the wrong, but the NCAA seriously needs to reconsider the way they regulate this stuff. I honestly think it's BS that the players weren't suspended for the Sugar Bowl. There's some evidence that it's all about money for the NCAA. They could care less if players miss the insignificant first few games of a season, but ratings for the Sugar Bowl would have taken a dump, and they just can't have that.

There need to be random audits, etc for every school, so that it doesn't cause such a huge explosion when something like this happens. The only time anyone gets investigated is when it's pretty obvious something is going on. The NCAA has to know that this type of stuff goes on all over the place, but nothing is ever done about it.

As a proud Buckeye, yes, this is a bit hard to swallow, but it is definitely best for all parties involved. Certainly better than getting fired, and it solves the whole problem at once.

All of that said, get 'em Luke!

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sure the players should have been suspended for the Sugar Bowl. The NCAA may set the rules but when the cops are just as corrupt as the criminals it doesn't matter. Tressel's problem was the coverup. Had he come clean when asked he would still have a job.

The NCAA is a joke just like the BCS, but it isn't about the integrity of the game but making the biggest buck. If the kids are going to be used like pawns let them make some money on the side. When the NCAA wants to set fair rules and also abide by them maybe we can fix the mess with college sports.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Wow. Sports Illustrated has just released an article detailing some of the things going on during the Tressel tenure. I don't see how he didn't know about all this stuff. Check out the article here.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you for the link. Ultimate man cave...... Good read. Makes you wonder how much there really is!

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

And the hits just keep coming for Ohio State. CBS is reporting that Terrelle Pryor will not play his last year of eligibility at OSU.

9. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

This stuff goes on at every big college program...

Trust me, I was a part of one of said programs at one time. Cars, rent, apartments, vacations, cell phones, clothes, etc.

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, it happens everywhere. My favorite was back in the late 90s, one of the networks did a pre-game story on one of our (Mississippi State) football players. The story talked about how he had grown up poor, lots of siblings, single mother, etc. The funny thing was I was working on campus at the time, and had seen him driving around town in a new Escalade, complete with the vanity tag with his initials and jersey number.

The difference is Tressel had written proof of it happening, and didn't report. The NCAA will come after you for that. This whole thing is the classic example of "lack of institutional control". And it's getting even better. ESPN is now reporting that a "former friend" of Pryor's reports he got paid every time he autographed something, and made between $20-$40k. Yeah, the NCAA is about to drop the hammer on them.

11. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Now Pryor is leaving school. Way to not man up to your mistakes and run like a B@$TCH! Tressel and Pryor really showed their true colors these past couple of weeks. What kind of an idiot pulls up to the school to say goodbye to Tressel in a different, new car?

What they need to do when all these penalties are handed down is take back the 01 championship, and give it back to its rightful owners, the Miami Hurricanes. Wonder how much that official who through the flag 10 seconds after the play was over cost the Buckeyes :mad:

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

First, it was the 2002 season, and second, that would be an absolutely ridiculous punishment. The precise amount of impact these players had on that championship is zero. That flag was a good call, it was just late. Can we please get over a game that happened over 8 years ago? Vacating the most recent sugar bowl victory would be legitimate, however, the NCAA did let those players play in that game, so their practices are fairly questionable as is.

13. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The college athletes need to be payed, at least some sort of fair hourly wage. The work extremely hard to generate millions in revenue for a school. Then they have to be students, too, and possibly have a part time job. Their reward? For most, it's just a college degree. Take the scandals out of the program and let these kids just play a game.

As for the Buckeyes, yeah, wre pretty much screwed for the next few seasons, but it's such an overall quality program, some hot young coach will have them in the title hunt in the next 3-4 years.

14. Dkrogh macrumors member

Luke will have this program in good hands this next year despite all of the negative press that will be about the Buckeyes. As an alumn of tOSU it's disappointing but I think that the NCAA will have things that need to be changed if they are going to have better control over all of these 'infractions' as they determine necessary.

I don't see the Sugar Bowl victory being taken away since the NCAA let the players play, but I believe that scholarships will be revoked and potential post season play revoked as well for a year maybe two similar to the USC situation.

I just want to beat Michigan again this next year and also Nebraska. I love my Buckeye football and always will.

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Did no one tell him there was a lockout on?

Going off this data sheet, the average cost of attendance for a year at OSU is $31,704 (I averaged in- and out-of-state costs). Not taking into account year over year increases, a full 4 year scholarship comes to $126,816. Assuming that being on a sports team is the equivalent of a 20 hour/week part time job, that's almost $32 an hour. That's also net, not gross, as there are no taxes to pay. Now your experience might be different, but I would have given my left testicle for a job that paid that while I was still an undergrad. Hell, I'd love to have a job that paid that well now that I'm out of school.

How much revenue do you generate for your employer, and do you complain about the compensation?

NCAA rules prohibit student athletes from holding jobs during the school year.

What's a college degree worth? Hard to quantify reliably, but definitely worth more than not having one. I've heard the $1 million more statistic thrown about, but I don't know how accurate that is. I'm guessing that number goes down for the gimme degrees, and up for real, marketable degrees.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The NCAA is the biggest scam in sports. These D1A programs generate HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars off of these athletes risking serious injury, and they don't get anything for it... everything goes to the school. It's quite ********.

17. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Most of them get a free college education, and they also want to be playing. It's also the perfect stage for an audition for a professional career. So, no they don't technically get anything tangible, but it's not like they're slaves, they definitely benefit, in multiple ways. I love that college sports are unpaid, that gets rid of players who really don't care to be there that much and shows who really wants to play. If they were paid, the same thing that's going on with the NFL would be going on in the college world.

I do agree that the NCAA is ridiculous, but for different reasons.

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Your math is so off it's laughable. 20 hrs a week? It's their entire life 24 hrs a day, from what they eat, to what they think, to what they do. And you think every player on the team gets a full ride? You need a decent college education yourself. And while your testicles are safe, these kids put their bodies at risk every time they take the field. That's ballsy.

The colleges exploit theses kids. Plain and simple. The NCAA is a joke.

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

24 hours a day, huh? Are they practicing when they're in class or the lab? Running drills under a coach's tutelage in the dining hall? Watching tapes in the shower or on the potty? Lifting weights in the gym while they're asleep? Your assertion is laughably bunk.

You can bet the "exploited" stars get the full rides and pay for hardly anything out of pocket. Third string benchwarmers, eh might grant you that one.

How about this - you find how many hours a week on average one of these student athletes spends at actually being an athlete and get back to us. Then we can do the math again and see just how hard they have it.

As for putting bodies at risk, so do any number of professions, including but not limited to police, firemen, high-rise construction workers, coal miners, and lion tamers. Do you say they're being exploited too?

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

He probably figured he wasn't going to be playing for OSU after all this came out anyway, so why not take his chance with the NFL? That five game suspension was probably going to turn into a season-long suspension. The lockout will probably be lifted at some point, even if it is a couple of games into the season. Hey, he could always autograph some more stuff for cash in the meantime, right? :)

I do agree the NCAA is a joke. The punishments they hand out are completely random. As I have pointed out before, we (MSU) got almost the same penalties as USC, and our infractions weren't nearly as bad. We had the same bowl ban, and lost almost as many scholarships. Oh yeah, and the fact that they haven't even opened an investigation into Auburn with all the stuff that came out with Cam Newton.

Anyway, I do think the athletes in the major sports at big-time schools are probably getting exploited. Yeah, they get a free ride, but they are forbidden from holding a job to get extra money. Yeah, tuition, room and board, etc, are provided, but what if you want to grab a pizza? Officially, your parents better give you the money for it. (Yes, we all know things really work, but I'm talking from the official NCAA standpoint). I can completely understand how an athlete can get caught up in all this kind of stuff. Many of them are from lower income families, and there is tremendous pressure on them to fall in line. If you are a poor kid, I imagine it is very tempting to "borrow" that new car or take that "$100 handshake".

Is paying them the answer? I don't know. I think some small stipend would be helpful, but I don't know how much that would help. I don't think that is too out of line. Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant grad students often get free tuition and a monthly stipend for their services.

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Study: College athletes are full-time workers

That's over 80hrs per week between football and studies.

College Athletes- Should they Receive Compensation?

So now with your math, the players (the most important part of this industry) are barely making minimum wage, working over 80 hrs a week, and supporting a $4 Billion industry on their backs. Even the NCAA Pres thinks it's BS.

The Madness of Not Paying College Athletes

Whether it's a straight salary, a graduation bonus, or some other form of compensation, these student athletes deserve more than what they get now. Take the criminal/shady/dark side of the sport away by cutting the players in on a multi-billion dollar industry. Until they do, these scandals will never go away.