Jimmy Kimmel says he’s not the moral conscience of America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So he is until he decides he doesn’t want to be because the subject hits too close to home. Jimmy Kimmel is a fraud and not very funny either.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the article:

I find the bleating from people like Trump jr. about Harvey Weinstein to be pathetic and flabby false-equivalence, at best. While Weinstein's behavior was reprehensible, I fail to see how it differs significantly from that which Donald Trump bragged about in his notorious Billy Bush interview. And nobody voted to make Harvey Weinstein President of anything. If shame is being dished around, the 60 million or so people who voted for Donald Trump ought to take a long hard look in the mirror before they start casting stones.

4. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

Jimmy lives in a glass house.... don't throw stones fool...

5. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

He isn't the moral conscience of America. Feigned outrage from supporters of a self proclaimed ***** grabber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Jimmy, a late night host, isn't and shouldn't be the moral conscience of America.

This Jimmy, on the other hand, was trying to be something he wasn't at all capable of being.
    [​IMG]

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

7. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Sometimes. When we aren't arguing about which football team God is rooting for to win.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From your source ...
    I have a hard time caring about Kimmel when that unfit, fraud-of-a-president spends so much time picking fights and stirring up culture wars.

9. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Ah yes, the "Stewart Shuffle" as I've read it: He throws his celebrity weight around for political purposes, pretends his opinion is the "moral" one, then calls himself "just a comedian" when called out on any hypocrisy or inconsistency.

Jimmy Fallon does the same crap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most talk show hosts are just mouthpieces of the DNC and globalist policy.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you anti-business?

11. Fancuku macrumors 65816

Fancuku

They are all frauds. Every one of them. Same with their audience.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Plenty of people have called out the men in Hollywood who haven’t come out against Weinstein. Including the guardian. So no, not the whole audience are hypocrites. And besides plenty of people are hypocrites. I try and avoid doing so. But I undoubtably fail.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Kimmel should not have to be a moral conscious. Sadly nobody in power is.

14. jdillings macrumors 68000

He's using this as an excuse to tip toe around the Weinstein scandal because he knows he has his own skeletons in his closet from his Man Show days and he's good friends with Ben Affleck/Matt Damon who many be the next to fall.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or donald trump.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Let's be real, the media and political personalities don't really give a damn about any justice for Weinstein's accusers. They are only using this to further their political agenda. I'm actually disgusted that more focus is on which famous figure they can scold for not speaking down on Weinstein enough vs the actual situation. As if the accusers really give a damn if Kimmel cracks a couple jokes about Weinstein, which I'm sure they probably wouldn't want to hear anyways.

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Who really cares what comedians think? They are there to try to make people laugh. Hollywood types tend to lean left, no surprise there. It's "fashionable" now to make fun of Trump. And to be fair, on a lot things he has made himself an easy target. When it comes to Kimmel though, and some others, when they start on one of their rants they speak as though everyone agrees with them. It's like they talk into the camera the same way they would if they were at a dinner party with their like-minded friends. Really it's nothing more than a miscalculation on their part and at the end of day does it really even matter?

18. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

The problem is when they shop trying to make people laugh and get political. Kimmel wants to be the moral conscience when it comes to health care and guns but then when asked about Harvey Weinstein he says don’t look at me. Can’t have it both ways.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Or you could be like James Corden and get called insensitive.

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Totally agree.

21. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

To be fair, politics have been the stock and trade of late night TV for a long time, and even Carson made jokes about Trump before anyone thought he'd get involved in politics. I will say, though, that Carson and Leno were always pretty "equal opportunity" and in their respective eras were as hard on Carter and Clinton as on Reagan, Bush, and Bush. Letterman did always lean more left than the others.

The current crop is a bit different, though. Seth Myers has been around late night TV for a long time on SNL, but the times I've bothered to watch one of his monologues recently they've been nothing but a relentless stream of Trump bashing. I don't remember him being that bad about one-sided political commentary on Weekend Update.

I admit that I've become rather disenfranchised with Trump despite the fact that I voted for him, but in all honesty I don't have any use for a show where that's the ONLY topic of conversation. Fallon manages to work a Trump joke or 6 into every monologue, but he also covers a lot of other topics and is at least palatable.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Purely out of curiosity: Why is that? What action, set of actions, or events led to you becoming disenchanted or disappointed with Trump as President versus Trump as candidate?

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Funny words coming from someone who supports the biggest fraud of them all!

Hey, I can play that game too:

People in this administration are all frauds. Every one if them. Same with their voters. :D

So....we are in a different political climate the likes we have never seen before. Trump is such a buffoon and tweets so damn much that there is an abundance of material to work with. Like yuggggggge. Like most late night shows, the topic involves current news and especially stuff on the president if available. Past presidents might not have been seen or heard from all week, thus leaving room for other topics. This one is so in love with himself, that he tweets and/or appears in front of a camera virtually 7 days a week. So of course when you have someone providing you that much comedy material, you aren't going to just sit there and ignore it! You are going to use it! That's what Seth is doing. Plus the ratings must be supporting it as well.

24. adamneer macrumors 6502

It's almost as if talk show hosts are real live human beings with feelings and opinions and not mindless robots programmed to appease every possible demographic.

25. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

If they are all frauds, and you support Trump, then you also support fraud?