Jindal: Westboro Baptist Members Who Protest Funerals Face Arrest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jul 27, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

not sure how this could be done legally as WBC know whether can and can't do pretty well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...test-funeral-arrest_55b4f819e4b0a13f9d18d240?

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Wow, apparently Bobby Jindal finds himself at odds with the radical wing of the GOP :D

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

hard to believe but there you go.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Fully agree I wonder if he will arrest themselves if they show on if they act up? They didn't act up.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

No it isn't. That stupid Church riles most everybody. I went to funeral of a fallen solider a while back and those jerks were proresting the solider's bury service! His church Reverend tried the speak louder and just after the service I had to hold back his brothers (with others helping me) from beating up these lunatics! There was part of me want to go help him beat them up but I didn't out of respect to his whole family!

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

This is exactly what the WBC church wants, to be denied to picket so they can sue. Unless the Gov. has a law on the books saying their picketing isn't allowed, he's going to be in for quite the surprise.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

"We won't abide by that here" -Jindal

Abide by what? The first amendment? You most certainly will abide by it. Whether you like it or not.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Even if they did have a law on the books, that law would be unconstitutional.

10. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Well when did the Constitution stop the GOP?

11. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

WBC are lawyer'd-up Democrats looking for a pay day.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Or Obama.

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

As long as they don't act up, I don't see what the Guv'nor can do about it. Once they start making a ruckus, he can haul their collective asses in for disturbing the peace. Ain't much but, better than nut'in'. Hey, the worst they could pin on Capone was tax evasion.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That hasn't stopped the Patriot Act.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Lol. Yeah and the Tennessee theater shooter wasn't really a nazi tea Partier, he was a democrat trying to push the anti-gun agenda. :D

@jkcerda I can't believe you actually agreed with his post. Your attempts to paint yourself as a moderate are becoming more ridiculous by the day with moves like that.

16. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Not necessarily. There are certain permissible (i.e., constitutional) regulations on speech, particularly directed to time, place, and manner restrictions. Analogous to so-called "fixed buffer zones" around abortion clinics. A long as the regulations on the time, place, and manner of the protests are narrowly tailored and content-neutral, they will probably be OK. So the government cannot prevent the protest simply because it finds it offensive, but they can keep them back 500 feet or whatever so as not to disrupt the service.

Take a look at Snyder v. Phelps from 2011 regarding protesting of military funerals. "Phelps" is, you guessed it, Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Baptist Church. The church won that case 8-1 on free speech grounds. Maryland didn't have a funeral picket statute in place at the time, so the court couldn't opine on that issue.

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So you think a funeral picketing ban might pass muster at SCOTUS? Would be interesting to test.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

THEY are lawyers, that much is true.
    as far as paint, all depends on the customer demands & pay, oh the things I have done for a Klondyke bar.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

[beavis]
    uh huh huh uhhuh uhuhuhuhuh... he said 'dyke'!
    [/beavis]

:p

no offense, LGBTQers; just trying to liven up the argument.

BL.

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I don't know, but my guess is that if the statute is narrow as to the time and place, and content-neutral, it just might. Similar types of statutes have been upheld in the past.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

In the past other states have passed laws that prevent picketing so close to a funeral, but that is about it. Unless LA has similar laws on the books, then there probably isn't much they can do.

These guys used to come to my old high school and college back in the day, so I'm pretty familiar with how they operate. The only way these people usually go away is when they feel threatened. I've large biker gangs drive them out with intimidation, and since everyone hates WBC, they let the bikers and other people do whatever they want to make WBC feel uncomfortable and leave.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I remember back in my youth watching the very first WWF Royal Rumble (it wasn't a PPV event).. Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura were commentating it, and Ventura noticed someone in the audience who had brought her own megaphone, and it was big. He made a comment something like "I see that someone brought their own custom (The Mouth of the South) Jimmy Hart megaphones!" Vince made the quip "to out-shout 'The Mouth of the South'"!

Applying that fan's work to this, the biker gangs used their bikes to drown out the protest; both absolutely legal, as both are exercising the 1A. It isn't the gang's fault that their 'free speech' was louder than WBC's.

BL.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech. Even hateful, stupid speech.

Going on the Sunday news shows and vowing the arrest these people just gives them what they want: publicity. I just wish American society could hold its nose long enough to ignore these people for a couple of years and they'll either give up or disband.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Extreme views always get undue press attention. Look at mainstream politics these days. It's a race to the bottom.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The right to speak hateful, stupid speech acts as the litmus test for the strength of the first amendment, or at least how much someone values it. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can petition the government to ban it.

And before someone makes the inevitable comparison to the gay marriage issue, and how everyone's a hypocrite (cuz you know it'll happen), that's not infringing on your first amendment rights. Everyone who disagrees/hates/whatever gay people are still allowed to talk about how much they disagree/hate/whatever gay people. They just can't prevent them from getting married. You have the right to complain and talk about how they're the downfall of western civilization, and they have the right to get married. EVERYONE'S HAPPY!