jittery / Choppy movie playback on external HDTV, Brand New 2.13 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fanta, Jun 2, 2011.

1. fanta, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

fanta macrumors regular

Hi Guys,
    a few days ago i got my new MBA, 13", 2.13GhZ, 4GB and 256MB SSD and im having trouble playing videos on my external monitor, which is connected via Mini Displayport.

I play videos via VLC and when watching them on the MBA's screen directly they play just fine but as soon as i drag the window over to my tv the framerate drops and videos look jittery (especially visible in scenes with panning or fine gradual movement like cars driving etc).

the tv is running at 1920x1200, is the MBA not powerful enough to run such a resolution? vlc is running at about 50% cpu.

previously i had a 2.4GHZMBP 15" which had no problem playing the same material on my TV with the same connection.

please help me! thank you :(

edit: i just see that i have pretty many dropped frames when running on the external TV while i have almost none when playing back on the MBA display.
    [​IMG]

2. James Cole macrumors 6502

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

Watching 1080p movie, A-Team, now on Dell 21.5" monitor with DP-to-DP cable, no frame issues, cpu temp 69C. Also, can play same movie thru DP-to-HDMI cable to 40" Samsung TV, no problem. This is a 2010 MBA, 4G/256MB Ultimate.

4. pulp1 macrumors newbie

Hey Fanta,

Im having exactly the same problem with my Macbook Air 1.86 4 gig.
    Trying to play through my Samsung LCD 40" via Mini Display Port and its jerky as hell - particularly slow pans and slight movement as you described.

Did you find a solution? Its driving me nuts!!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thxs
    d

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I play 1080p videos all the time on my MBA. I have a Mac Mini that is plugged into my TV via HDMI and I have issues with flash video playing poorly if I use Safari...but using Chrome seems to fix that problem. I also have found that I get much better playback if I switch it to 24Hz instead of 60.

6. illini71 macrumors member

7. anirudh macrumors 6502

Though I havent had any such problems on my 2011 air and my 42" lcd, try using Plex instead of VLC. That should help.

8. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

try this, open vlc drag screen over, hook up usb mouse and keyboard and shut the lid on the laptop see if it's still jittery.