Job Growth Remains Tepid; No Dent in Rate of Unemployed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by applesith, Jul 6, 2012.

1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course not. Government is in gridlock. Nothing can get done.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The GOP passed nearly 30 jobs bills, but the Democrats won't act on them in the Senate. If those bills would have been passed, there would be millions upon millions of new jobs.

:rolleyes: (tip) Click the face if you want the facts.

4. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

It takes time from when government would do something to when we'd see its results. Barely any growth (if any) since the stimulus and other legislation designed to stimulate the economy and there has been plenty of time. I thought things were supposed to be getting better. I just can't believe that when very few jobs are added and they so many are part time work and people being underemployed overall.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What? Since the stimulus and since President Obama's policies have kicked in, there has been more job growth than in the entire 8 years of the GWB administration. We have had 24? months of continued job growth. You talk about lag time for policies to take effect, and yet, guess what happened just shy of 2 years ago. The GOP took over the House and stopped the very policies that had been helping. Now we have tepid growth, just like they intended.

6. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

What are you smoking? The jobs created and sustained under Bush >>> Obama. I see you never post any facts or supporting evidence to your statements from the other threads.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Here's some reading for you. http://reflectionsofarationalrepubl...ush-vs-obama-unemployment-may-2012-jobs-data/

(edit) I hope you appreciate that I picked a conservative site as the source
    (edit2) I will happily back up my opinions with data, and I will happily back up my data with links. You have provided your opinions, but don't back them up with any data, nor links. So, I will await a rational, reasoned, and fact based response.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can only assume that you're young and don't remember the absolute destruction of the economy under Bush.

9. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

I don't care if it's a conservative or liberal site- I read both kinds. There are so many contradictions in that data and if you try to match it up with BLS- there are inconsistencies. But what would you expect from a random blogger.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And that's why the House will be taking up Fast & Furious, new abortion restrictions today. Jobs surely will follow. :rolleyes:

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

General Akbar thinks that well reasoned arguments supported by the facts must be a trap.

"It's a trap!"

[​IMG]

12. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

I'm not looking to start Bush v. Obama and I never said Bush did better. Do not turn this into that. You speak in such drastic absolutes.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, you are so misinformed.

14. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Why we discussing other things that Congress does? To be fair, the president tried to make topics such as gay marriage and immigration, when the economy/jobs should the concern.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Just because you chose a fishface to be your avatar doesn't mean you need to flounder when you realize your argument doesn't hold water. ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

(edit) In response to your point, the President has asked Congress to pass bills that had GOP support in the past, and yet, they have done NOTHING under Boehner's leadership.

16. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

I was responding to their post about bringing up other things about Congress.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To be fair, all of those things are important and can be worked on simultaneously. If they couldn't be worked on at the same time, I'd have even less faith in congress than I do now.

18. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

to your edit- I'm not a Boehner fan. If Congress wants to change something this President suggests, he takes his toys and goes home. He won't compromise even when there are things like the Bush Tax cuts his adviser and Bill Clinton disagree with him. The president isn't exactly coming half way either.

----------

Ok, then to be fair. The other things mentioned above can be worked on as well. rdowns seems to think Congress should only do one thing at a time.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The President has asked Congress to act. What half-way bills have been passed through Congress, through the Senate and presented to the President that he hasn't signed?

This isn't rocket science (trust me, I'd know).

20. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

He has put his legislation before Congress and Congress won't pass it as is. Instead of Obama offering to work, he mentioned something in a speech about if his bill was passed, we would be recovering. I recall a similar statement in the beginning of his term about the stimulus. Something along the lines of if passed, he promised unemployment would be below 8%.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, Congress has the ability to work on legislation that is before it. It can amend it, it can change it, it can propose completely different things, and yet, it does nothing. The President has said that if Congress acted, the things in those bills would happen, and therefore those things would happen. That's not very complicated. On the other hand, confusing a projection of unemployment with a "promise," apparently is difficult for some.

Politifact rates your claim as mostly false.

22. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

projection, promise. whatever it is, we are still not much better. U-6 is almost just as high as is it was back when the ***** hit the fan. people aren't working like they used to.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I know which is why we need to jack up taxes and increase governmental involvement in the economy until such time as the middle class has recovered.

24. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

That's not how you do it. Taxing one group proportionally more doesn't create jobs, it just gives more money to the government.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Which in turn goes right back into the economy, rather than into off shore bank accounts. It's not that complicated.