Job Market improves

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Dec 4, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Progress is progress...
    .2% is nothing to scoff at. Im glad some people were able to find jobs in time for the holidays.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Let's hope for the improvement, but it doesn't count people who gave up looking for the Holidays.

It's also supposed to rise again in the coming year.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Does it include people who are only employed seasonally? After being out of paid work for nearly a year I managed to find a Christmas gig, but come January I'll probably be back on the out-of-work boat.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'd say this is more of the reason than what pilotError said. By that I mean that temporary holiday jobs have soaked up a fair amount of people rather than they have simply stopped looking.

That said, I find it interesting that the holiday season (no matter the reason) would be able to make such an impact. As someone else said, .2% isn't something to snub you nose at and I wonder is there is more of an underlying trend to the numbers.

Time will tell, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

8. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Yeah, Macy's needed extra cashiers for the holidays.

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Im sorry, are you insinuating in this job market that any job is any less valuable to the person than another?

I'd be really interested in your motives with this comment, you obviously know I work under contract for Macy's.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't feed the troll.

He'll just type "LOL" at you, and walk away.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thats fine. Ive got a few key words i'd like to share with the forums anyhow.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or maybe he won't say anything at all. That's usually his MO- post and run.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well that is good news, of course we just went from abysmal to just bad.

.2%

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Typically the unemployment numbers are always seasonally adjusted, taking out normal annual fluctuations. So the employment gains are real.

Let's just hope that the trend continues.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I keep thinking "we're on a plane plummeting to earth, but now we're just falling less fast." I hope this continues and maybe we even out and begin climbing. It's a step, sure. A really little one.

Exactly right. The season has been accounted for according to an interview I heard this morning, the difficult question is whether this trend continues as some seasonal jobs disappear and retail sales begin to sag post-holidays.

I feel more hopeful after a meeting at a local "green" business last night, they're hiring as many technicians as possible, trying to get their installations done.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

People are hiring for seasonal work, this will be short lived. I hardly call the "least lost jobs" in months an improvement. No real progress can be made when you set the bar so low. Not to mention there are so many people who are only holding their jobs right now because they are knocked down to part time, on top of the fact that many people are not included in the unemployment numbers.

The fact that we lost jobs at all over the holiday season and didn't gain is painfully telling. Rumors of a second stimulus? No.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They don't adjust for the amount that our businesses have leaned out employees and now need the help back while the economy is decent for 1-2 months. This isn't a typical year.

18. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

The "big improvement" phrase is misleading. They are referring to the fact that job losses in the past month are lower than they have been since 2007.

Of course, it could mean that everyone in a disposable position was already fired.

Anyway, fingers crossed that this keeps going.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I agree that this year isn't typical, but re-hiring when business picks back up is exactly what job market recovery is. The key is whether the seasonally-adjusted economy is bouncing back for good, or if we double-dip.

I've been reading that the Black Friday numbers have beaten the pants off of last year's. Even with seasonal adjustment, that's a big improvement.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It means JACK ****. What U6 do? People are giving up looking it is so bad right now and legitmently giving up. Hunting for a job for months and not getting any interview or even a call back takes it toll on people and they are giving up. this Depression we are in is just getting worse.

Also Novemeber was another 150k job loss month so do not feed me that line of bull ****. the ecomony is still getting worse. the Job market is still getting crappier.

Until a 150k new jobs are added a month it is just getting worse. last month it was -300k just to break even in the job market. I love the media BULL **** they report. they need to report the truth. it is still getting worse.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would like to point out that beating last year is not saying much at all. Last year was a really bad year.
    It is still below what it was 3-4 years ago so it is still crappy.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hey at least wall street will probably rally around this.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Let's hope it continues to fall ... it's rough out there.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

So in your mind, it's not improvement until we're at or above where we were 3-4 years ago? I just want to understand.

Keep in mind that recessions happen when markets need to self-correct. The Dow Jones was implausibly high, and stocks were overvalued. The real estate market was riding a bubble that was going to burst eventually. Credit was flowing far too freely to be sustained in any kind of equilibrium. These things were all destined to pop, and unfortunately they all popped at the same time.

In any event, your expectations of a "recovery" being where we were 3-4 years ago - to the overinflated levels that couldn't be sustained - is implausible.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My expectations of a recovery is when the job market starts improving. This media report is the typical lieing bull **** they report.
    Job Market is improving. we only LOST 150k jobs last month. Talk about improvement.

As for messuring a holiday season like black friday compared to last year is worthless and tells me nothing it is is on a level of 4-5 years ago if it is not below it still. We have a larger population since then and even then it can not pull something from 5 years ago. last year was one of the worse years for black Friday for long time so beating it does not say anything.

So yeah I am damn right it is not worth even saying much if it is better than last year if it is still piss poor. It says nothing. Job market is still sheading 6 figure a month. It is still 300k away from just breaking even.....

Oh and it is not a rescission it is a depression. A depression brought on by over a at least 2 decades of corruption in our political system just passing the buck. I am not going to blame one person but the system. It feeds corruption and they just do what ever they want for there own good.