job rotation in the States?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by grandM, May 18, 2015.

1. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I was wondering if job rotation in the States is easily achieved. Here in Europe people tend to get locked in a job. If they loose their job they have almost no chances to get into a new endeavor. Especially people who have degrees. Once a bookkeeper/accountant chances you will do it for the rest of your life are enormous. I hear people that have a job as say functional analyst and are sick and tired of it. Their managers just tell them they are good at it and must keep doing it. Unemployed people almost never get a chance to go to a job interview for a job they haven't done before. So is this a European thing or worldwide?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The USA has a system where people get locked into employment that they hate because their healthcare (and therefore lives) are locked to the employer in a majority of situations.

3. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

People switch jobs fairly easily here in the states. The ones who have advanced training generally stay in the same fields, but others can switch pretty easily for the most part.

It can be hard to find a good paying job with no experience, but it's not impossible and there's no system designed to keep people where they are.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yarp. Was a computer repair tech for a few years, worked IT for a few years, been bean counting for a few years (getting sick of spreadsheets). I've got the hankering to switch to handyman or maybe carpentry work in the next few years.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Similar story here:

Construction-->retail-->manufacturing-->back to school-->medicine

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

In the U.S. it's easy to change jobs. Just don't do it too often or prospective employers may wonder why, and consider whether or not to invest time/money into you as their next hire.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Most people I know currently change employers 2-5 years. Not that big of deal, especially know when the economy is strong.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It sounds like there are two things you are thinking of here. First is that of rotating through a number of related positions for a single employer. Yes, I've seen that, and, I've actually done it myself, more or less accidentally, for a single employer. Back in the 80's, some companies did this as a matter of policy. Keeps employees interested learning new things, and, it makes a good ladder for home-grown managers who learn more aspects of a business.

More recently, employers seem to want to just lock people in to a particular area. I think that is unfortunate, because it means fewer people know much about each other's work. I think the reason is that these days, employers expect you to come onto the job and know enough to function already. Back in the day, employers expected to pay for more training and retraining of staff, but, not so much any more.

Employees also sometimes switch on their own. Again, I think some employers almost expect that any "ambitious" or "creative" employee will want to do move around a bit. Generally a good thing, but expect to pay for the extra re-training yourself, and also people who change jobs should be careful not to burn bridges -- employers generally don't want people who are job-hoppers because of social problems, i.e., trouble getting along with anyone and everyone. In other words, to answer your question, sometimes broader experience is good, as long as it is for the right reasons.

So, perhaps it is a bit easier in the U.S. than in Europe.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

I went from Photography lecturer, to IT consultant (trainee - although it pays better).

Its not *that* difficult to change, in the UK anyway,