Jobs on Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by itcheroni, Oct 22, 2011.

1. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Isaacson is really good at promoting his new book if it weren't going to sell enough as it is. Here is what Jobs supposedly said to Obama.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/steve-jobs-predicted-obama-one-term-president-144644675.html

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

3. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

I might as well not buy the book....seems everyone, everywhere is quoting the thing. I can just copy and paste and make my own book.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The people that post them just wanted instant gratification, and then they seem obligated to "make" you to read it as well.

Others have expressed the same disgust as you.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, the CEO of one of the, if not THE, most profitable companies in the world is saying that current policies are anti-business? OK.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jobs wanted to repatriate Apple's cash tax free, and Obama wouldn't oblige.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Steve then told Obama to give back the iPad2 that Apple had gifted to the President.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Jobs was just being Jobs. Try as hard as you can to get what you want then give in at the last minute.

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You have me interested and curious. Are you saying that because he was the CEO of one of (if not the) most profitable companies in the world he was in a better, or worse, position to comment on the current administrations business policies? Or were you saying that he was hypocritical somehow?

Just curious, if you care to clarify. Thanks.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

I read this thread right after reading the thread in another forum about Jobs and Obama, with Jobs saying that Obama's policies are very anti-business. If I was running one of the most profitable companies in the world, I wouldn't be thinking that anything was working against me. But I will admit that I do think differently than the average tycoon.

11. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe Jobs cared about more than himself. And his success in business could be a testiment to his knowledge of what it takes for America, as a whole, to be successful.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

When you have umpteen billion dollars, the issue is no longer "what can I buy". You can buy anything - including several moderate sized countries. What you have when you have that much money is POWER. What can anyone really do to you if they don't like what you say?

Also, reportedly (I have no personal knowledge), Jobs did not take kindly to not getting his way. At times, that seemed to juice his creativity. At times, however, it led to (what appears to be) petulance.

This^^^

13. .Andy, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The White House is anti-business? Is this the same White House that is run by donations from businesses at the expense of the needs of the populace? That used an unprecedented trillions of taxpayers dollars to stimulate the economy and bail out the banks? That settled on a healthcare package that relied on private businesses instead of a proper public option that was needed. What exactly is anti-business about it? What "excessive regulation and operating costs has the Obama White House instituted? It's such a bizarre claim. The problem in the US is that your government is too tied in with business, not vice versa. edit: case in point - a business man getting one to one time with the president.

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Wait

I'm waiting for the book.

15. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are confusing what is good for a few big business as good for business in general. Bailing out the banks is good for the banks receiving money, but it is bad for business in general in America. Large pharmeceutical companies benefited from Obama's healthcare package, but that does not mean it is good for business. And don't you recall Obama claiming to have passed major financial reform legislation?

But you are correct that the government is too tied in with business. That is the problem. If the government didn't do any of those things you just mentioned, it would have been better for business.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Oh I see. So one can be pro-business and anti-business simultaneously.

Big business, medium business, or small business?

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Monkey.

Attached Files:

18. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, that's not it at all. I know that no matter what I say you will try your best to not understand, but I'm a glutton for punishment so I'll try an analogy.

Let's say the NFL relaxed the rules for only the Patriots and allowed things like pulling facemasks and such. That would make things easier for the Patriots but bad for all the other teams and bad for the game of football. Similarly, handing over tons of taxpayer money to a few select companies and relaxing accounting rules for them is not fair to companies that played by the rules or "good for business."

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Who said anything about "fair"? Being pro or anti-business has nothing to do with fair. If you think multinational corporations and your local fish and chip shop should be subject to exactly the same regulations and legislation to be "fair" then I don't think there is much more to say. The world isn't a football field.

20. itcheroni thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about comparing banks to other banks?