Jobs Wants It Both Ways/The Next Jobs re: Antennagate & more - interesting interviews

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Aug 2, 2010.

1. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

They're right. Whenever Apple releases a new product, they want the press to be there in full force to overhype and spread the news of their magical, revolutionary devices. Jobs can't stop grinning for the cameras during these events. So it's hypocritical for him to call out the media for overhyping the antenna issue. The press can't only cover you when you want them to.

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I haven't read the book that was referenced - but now I might.

I found both interviews to be pretty interesting and fair.

3. dagomike macrumors 65816

Well, basically Apple enjoys lots of media attention. They're so secretive and so careful about rewarding so few with info, any news of Apple creates a frenzy. Also, people put so much trust into Apple as wealthy technology masters, they expect them to fix anything.

It's laughable when people seriously wonder why Apple got so much criticism while other tech companies get a free pass. For one, the other companies are a relative open book, and second the bar is set pretty low among the mobile players.

It works both ways. They get tons of free publicity on product launches and a ridiculously disportionate mindshare. When they screw up, however, and then don't full own up to it in a timely matter, it's going to hurt.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wait, are you saying companies like a lit of media coverage of their successes and don't like a lot of media coverage of their failures? Well knock me over with a feather.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's really not the point the author was making at all.

They're not talking about Apple being covered or not being covered. They're talking about the kind of coverage they get. Neither Jobs nor the authors of this piece are talking about Apple not being covered at any point. They're simply debating how it should be done.

6. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Jobs was clearly annoyed by how much attention the media was paying to the iPhone's antenna problems. He has no problem with a similar amount of attention when he's about to launch a new product. So Alan Deutschmann was correct - Steve Jobs wants it both ways. He wants all the coverage when he has new goods to hawk, but wants to downplay his products & chastise and scold the press when they pay the same amount of attention to a mistake.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I agree with that statement, but you're not saying the same thing as Alan.

Alan is saying that Jobs wants to switch between "iPhone is important" coverage and "iPhone is just a phone" coverage.

You're saying that Jobs wants to switch between "lots of coverage" and "no coverage."

I can tell you agree with Alan, but you're not arguing the exact same thing he is. That's fine, you can have your own opinion (that's a good thing!), I'm just saying that this is what YOU'RE saying, not what Alan is saying.

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

Which is fine. That's how everyone would want it. The catch is it's pretty lame to play the victim when you screw up.

9. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I can dig it. Looking back over the article, you're right.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Even more lame to play victim by trying to shift the blame and bring other people into your own problem. But that's my .02

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

I think you're both right. The point was Jobs touted the iPhone 4 as the best thing ever that redefined the marketplace. Apple got that coverage. When things started go wrong, Apple wanted it covered as if it were any other device, or in other words, that point not covered at all.

I can sympathize with Apple because it's otherwise a pretty cool device. I think a lot of the iPhone other functions got lost in the antenna issues. But Apple has to realize the iPhone needs to be a phone first, otherwise everyone should just buy an iPod Touch.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Oh, and just to be clear, I was not saying rwilliams was wrong.

It really is just different ways of looking at it. I was just trying to clarify it all because, if anything, people around here should be proud of having their own take on things and not just all saying the same thing. I felt the need to untangle that a bit.