Jobs was right: iPad is magical and revolutionary

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
I see the use for a tablet like computer as I'm a big fan of lounging around with a laptop where I generally am just consuming media (news, video, games, etc.).

I'm just not ready to go for the iPad yet, though I'm excited to see it do well. The iPads success will promote investment from others in the competition, which will cause the iPad to improve at a quicker rate to maintain Apple's lead.

My hesitancy mostly lies in the fact that it is the 1st revision of this product, and I expect each iteration to grow by leaps and bounds as Apple invests in its success.

Soon iPad, soon you shall be mine!

rcandre2

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I don't get it. I just don't. I played with an iPad and it's just a big, oversized, awkward to hold and use iPod Touch to me.
+1

I bought one.. after 3 days I didn't know what to do with it anymore.. so I returned it.. A front camera and flash would have changed that decision though!

peterlobl

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia
magic!

more fairy-tale worthy would be if the mets could beat the phillies more than not this season..
totally awesome and suprisingly useful has been my ipad however!

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
iPad is amazing IMO. It far exceeded my expectations. I thought their "magical" and "revolutionary" pre-release statements were exaggerations but I've been won over. The speed, smoothness in graphics manipulations and battery life are phenomenal. The OS upgrade this Fall will make it even so much more so.

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
You may have some limitations on capability compared to a “full PC”, but the user experience and these other “magical” elements are so much more compelling that they override much of that IMHO.
That's hitting the nail on the head. A lot of critics simply focus on what the iPad doesn't do, or what they wished it did do. But most people seem to be happy taking the iPad on its own terms. If you need more than the iPad delivers, then the device probably isn't for you. Get a laptop instead. But for many average consumers, the iPad is going to change their expectations of a computing device.

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I don't get it. I just don't. I played with an iPad and it's just a big, oversized, awkward to hold and use iPod Touch to me.
I was kind of disappointed in the (lack of) selection of third party apps that Apple had loaded onto the demo iPads it has at the Apple Stores. Third party apps are what's really going to make this thing, and developers can do so much more with the big screen and additional UI tools than they could with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
It's interesting to see the points of view from some people questioning why to have the iPad or other tablet even.

Trouble is, it's hard to put into words how great it is to have a slate of glass in your hands and have the consumption at hand instead of being stuck at your desktop.

I tried & tried to use laptops for the same purpose like now replying to a thread in bed (sorry if that conjures up some ugly pictures) they just don't work any where near as good for casual couch consumption!

I realise for some, the iPad might still seem quite expensive, but it was a no brainer for me, I was under no delusions it would replace a computer, infact even Apple never wanted that, trying to make a tablet blur the lines between a traditional computer/laptop and a tablet pc is a daft idea and self defeating for the manufacturer!

Once you've used an iPad for a week and realised it provides 90% of your common requirements with excellent battery life and a fantastic form factor, you realise you really don't want the extra bulk and power hungry hardware crammed into the device to fulfil the other 10% !!

pastparticiple

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
I spent about an hour messing with one today and really wasn't wowed. I don't see how it would benefit me in any great way. It does pretty much the same stuff my laptop does except not as well. No USB, no Flash (which I am not a fan of but it is needed for my use), a bit heavy to hold in one hand but not ergonomic for the lap.

Once the novelty wore off I was underwhelmed. For my use a laptop is a better choice.

DrFillster

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
Agreed. Apple is the master of ergonomics. They just didn't get it right this time. Never could find a comfortable position with it.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next revision!

I spent about an hour messing with one today and really wasn't wowed. I don't see how it would benefit me in any great way. It does pretty much the same stuff my laptop does except not as well. No USB, no Flash (which I am not a fan of but it is needed for my use), a bit heavy to hold in one hand but not ergonomic for the lap.

Once the novelty wore off I was underwhelmed. For my use a laptop is a better choice.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
My iPad is great.

I'm a heavy internet user so the iPad just flows right into my daily workflow.

I think what Apple's trying to say when they say it's "Magical" is that on a desktop computer you are constantly switch between typing on the keyboard and mousing. After a while you don't even realize it and therein is the problem. You become desensitized to the constant switch back and forth.

What happens with the iPad is that you eventually realize there's mouse and the keyboard pops up only when you need it and thus your fingers provide a majority of the navigation and after that initial awkward phase you might just find yourself enjoying the process more.

I expect for Apple to slowly roll out more gestures and before long people will prefer doing swipes, pinches and pulls to engage their OS far more than mousing and clicking.

pastparticiple

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Agreed. Apple is the master of ergonomics. They just didn't get it right this time. Never could find a comfortable position with it.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next revision!
I think if it weighed half as much at least...supported Flash...had normal ports like USB and Ethernet for the times I wanted to be plugged in but in my lap not a dock, and was not so glassy/glossy reflective I MIGHT give it a go as a novelty...but as it is now I am not interested.

I found myself constantly having to tilt it and move it around to get a good viewing angle because of reflections...same problem I have with glassy MPBs. I have not held a Kindle2 but I have messed around with a Barnes and Noble Nook and found it oddly heavy for it's size just like the iPad. I guess for me if it's something designed to be held in the hand I want it really light. I am the same with phones. 135g phones just feel way too heavy in my pocket.

pastparticiple

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
God....if it only had a floppy drive...
Wanting a USB and Ethernet port is hardly asking for something unreasonable. Those are standard and very useful things. I get the impression that Apple fans would take a flat piece of metal that does nothing as long as it had the fruit engraved on it. Then they would praise it for being so minimalistic and cutting edge.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Wanting a USB and Ethernet port is hardly asking for something unreasonable. Those are standard and very useful things. I get the impression that Apple fans would take a flat piece of metal that does nothing as long as it had the fruit engraved on it. Then they would praise it for being so minimalistic and cutting edge.
I have learned to stop worry about port proliferation and learn to love the minimalism. Resistance was futile.

I hear you loud and clear. I'm not an unbiased person here as i'm trying to cut as many cables as I can. Next up ...wifi printer.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
God....if it only had a floppy drive...
And a serial port. Seriously, How many ways can posters express dislike for Ipad. Its not what you want ok, Why are you here?? No one really cares about your vision of the "perfect device" in your world. Then insult people for whom it works.Pretty sad really.

pastparticiple

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
And a serial port. Seriously, How many ways can posters express dislike for Ipad. Its not what you want ok, Why are you here?? No one really cares about your vision of the "perfect device" in your world. Then insult people for whom it works.Pretty sad really.
Typical..."nobody cares what you think if it's not like we do". Well done...back to being a good little sheep.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 601
Jul 12, 2008
Columbus, OH
iPad is amazing IMO. It far exceeded my expectations. I thought their "magical" and "revolutionary" pre-release statements were exaggerations but I've been won over. The speed, smoothness in graphics manipulations and battery life are phenomenal. The OS upgrade this Fall will make it even so much more so.
I agree on one thing.. battery life. That excites me.. not because of the iPad, but because it has me thinking we can expect the same thing on iPhone #4. The one other positive i DO like about the iPad.. some of the UI enhancements on apps like Mail, etc. With enough of those types of UI enhancements and a front facing camera and iChat.. i'd buy one. I doubt i'd use it a WHOLE lot.. but enough to make it worth buying.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
pastparticiple said:
The iPad is designed for Internet on the go. having a great long trailing Ethernet cable follow you everywhere you go like a bleeding andrex puppy is not what the iPad is about. An Ethernet port is unreasonable given the design brief and duty the pad is aiming for.

USB port or mini USB port may have been useful, but what are you planning on doing with it? Connecting it to a keyboard? Well they have soutions for that? Printing? Well there are apps that provide wireless printing facility.

Want USB camera, purchase the camera kit.

pastparticiple said:
Typical..."nobody cares what you think if it's not like we do". Well done...back to being a good little sheep.
And yet you don't care what those happy with the iPad think either. A little ironic.

Being a hater is all well and good, but if I didn't like something say 'lady Gaga' I would not think of going onto a forum of Lady Gaga fans and posting 'listened to song, thought it sucked, your all sheep'... I respect others opinions but your posts just seem intended to create fuss rather than just layout an opinion. There is a fine line between posting opinion and proffering an alterior perspective and trolling.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I agree on one thing.. battery life. That excites me.. not because of the iPad, but because it has me thinking we can expect the same thing on iPhone #4. The one other positive i DO like about the iPad.. some of the UI enhancements on apps like Mail, etc. With enough of those types of UI enhancements and a front facing camera and iChat.. i'd buy one. I doubt i'd use it a WHOLE lot.. but enough to make it worth buying.
If Apple could duplicate the battery life on the next iPhone it would be amazing. A huge portion of the iPad is devoted to battery so I doubt an iPhone with similar use could come close to the iPad.

I could never really enjoy web browsing on the iPhone, but it has improved quite a bit with the iPad. The frequent page reloads and clunky way you change between pages which usually requires a reload is annoying but the speed makes up for some of it. Mobile Safari really needs tabs IMO. The ABC app is A+. I no longer DVR LOST or V. I watch them on the iPad. Netflix is excellent as well. Lack of Flash is really the only major limitation on web browsing IMO (although Flash is a CPU hog and battery drain so I hope it is replaced all over the internet in the near future). I like to pdf print articles on my desktop to save them. I wish there was a similar easy way to do that on the iPad.

Ergonomically I think the thing is excellent. Apples foldable case is great. The iPad seems super light to me. The map app is amazing. So fluid and it's route guidance is great.

Just trying to give some of my impressions. I wasn't expecting much from it and have been blown away. I use it daily. I tell others the same as the above poster, it replaces 90% of a desktop use. I can't rip DVDs and encode them. I can't import digital photos and crop/edit them. I can't import digital movies and edit them. So for the heavy lifting the desktop is here to stay for a while.

For someone on a budget a mac mini and an iPad using VNC would be a pretty amazing combo. Great mobility and functionality for ~$1,000.

Oh yeah. And Apple should have a screen sharing app or remote desktop app.