Joe Barton (R) Apologizes to BP Ceo Tony Hayward

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Jun 18, 2010.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Joe Barton says he wanted to apologize to BP for the "shakedown" of 20 billion Obama 'made' them give.

Link

Satire site already up

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What? Is he insane? Proof that Big Oil has been far too involved in government in the recent past.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

http://congress.blogs.foxnews.com/2...f-losing-his-position-over-shakedown-comment/

The House Republican leadership brass gave Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) an option: either apologize immediately or lose his post as the top GOPer on the Energy and Commerce Committee.

"(Boehner and Cantor) are in agreement that he was within a centimeter of losing his position," said a senior GOP aide. "He could could apologize immediately or lose his position."

At a high-profile hearing Thursday, Barton apologized to BP CEO Tony Hayward for the government's treatment of the firm.

He also accused the Obama administration of executing a "shakedown" to force the company to create a $20 billion escrow account to cover damages.

By late Thursday, Barton withdrew his his comments.

"I retract my apology to BP," Barton said.

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Way too late imho. Especially since this is the attitude of most of the GOP to begin with. Barton was just dumb enough to say it aloud.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

All of them were there to gain voting points, Barton made a misstep probably thinking it would get his applause from the crowd (who also just happens to hate BP).

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

He should I guess but I hope he stays and keeps saying more stuff like this. :D

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. The GOP seems exceptionally good at putting their feet in their mouths these days.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This thinking is why the people of the United States Booted out the Republicans last time around. Bought off Politicians doing the work of the multinational corporations and screwing the American worker,taxpayer and voter. He needs his ass beat hard.:mad:

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I think its pretty clear who at least the GOP side is working for.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's never been more clear than this, has it?

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Charles Krauthammer on the Barton apology: "I think that wins the award for the most politically stupid statement of the year. We can retire it right now, in June."

"You don't express sympathy for a corporation that's sort of soiled and destroyed, practically is destroying, the Gulf Coast. What you can do is say we don't like the precedent of the federal government using its leverage and threats of prosecution to force companies into acting against what might be their own interests. It's not a good precedent. We had to do it in this case because we want to protect the income of the people in the Gulf who've suffered."
    link

13. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Attack ad:

Show video of Barton defending BP.

Then ask the viewer if he really trusts the GOP to run this country.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WHAT? It's the government's job to protect the country from crap like this. It's absolutely good precedent. This shouldn't even be precedent, it should simply be the way things are.

15. Queso macrumors G4

It's always nice to find such clear examples of what scum politicians are.

16. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Uh Republicans are against sodomy. ;)

17. Queso macrumors G4

In public anyway :)

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They like it in public restrooms. :)

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its also the governments job to regulate the actions of the companies before they go blowing oil all over our gulf. Whoops on that one.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Spawned a funny Twitter account. :D

@SorryJoeBarton

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So he's a Texan, non? And that's understandable, given that his background is in oil. But he is an example of how big government colludes with industry to frustrate the rights of the common man, isn't he? So the Tea Party, which is strong in Texas, is going to go after him, right? Right? Anybody? Bueller? :eek:

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

You are a Libertarian right?

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

So if the regulators arent looking its ok to cut corners and blow up workers AND its the regulators fault? Yeesh :O

24. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Well, I mean, if congress expects the CEO of BP to know exactly what is going on at all of the companies wells, shouldn't we expect that regulators know what is going on at every well they're supposed to regulate and enforce regulations on?

Both parties are so corrupted by lobbying and campaign contributions its unbelievable. I think I'll just start writing my own name in for every position on the ballot; at least I know I'm not corrupted by any campaign contributions.