Joe Biden said to be considering one-term presidency

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Aug 14, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The buzz is that Joe Biden may declare he will run for one-term only. It didn't work for Bob Dole, but then again 2016 is an open election.

Carl Bernstein, slayer of Nixon:

If Joe does run, and I believe he will, I don't see him making a one-term pledge. It smacks of desperation. However, he certainly can play coy and imply that is the case when some reporter inevitably asks the question.

In other news, Al Gore is not considering a presidential run. No word on John Kerry's presidential ambitions.

2. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

If Biden runs I think it will really hurt Hilary.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think party insider democrats would be smart to want him to run at least as a backup to Hillary if her campaign stalls for some reason or if it begins to look like she might not be able to beat whoever is going to come out of the Republican side. I think it's probably true that Joe Biden would do better in the general election than Bernie Sanders. I think that's all this is, if it is indeed happening--a backup plan. Martin O'Malley, Jim Webb, and Lincoln Chafee aren't going to cut it in that regard.

That being said, a Bernie Sanders-Donald Trump-Marco Rubio election would offer some very interestingly different choices for America. Obviously their views are farther apart than Bush/Clinton's.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Let's just give the GOP the election.

5. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Works for me!

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I like that idea in the sense that Liberals will once again grow a back bone & protest the war & infringement of our rights.
    I hate it because there is no change & we will continue with the stupidity for ever & ever, oh wait, it's going to be like a republican is in power if Hillary makes it anyway:mad:

7. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Gotta say it, don't see much difference between Jeb and Hillary.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they look about the same :p

pray/say/tell what difference do you see? no difference when it comes to war & ending the crapping they have been doing on the Constitution.

so what besides the letter next to their name do you see?

9. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Well they are both for common core and don't want to do anything about illegal immigration. They are both from Political families and appear to be somewhat old school. Don't care for either one of them.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do you know who I blame for that mess: Lets start with the American people. Individually they may be very nice folks. But as a whole, they've managed to let 9/11 turn them into craven cowards.

Why is Guantamo Bay still locking people up, without trial? Answer: Because the American people are terrified that, if transferred to a US maximum security prison, one of them might escape. Logical? No.

Why are a majority of Americans not calling their Senator to back the nuclear accord with Iran? Because the American people know a) Iran once did something bad with our embassy; b) Israel hates them - and Israel is where Zohan the amazing Mossad guy comes from; and c) Iran is full of durty mooslims. The chance of the average American understanding the first thing about a) the modern history of Iran or b) the intricacies of international arms control - there would have been festive street parties when this was announced.

So no: The American people sat back and did nothing when the Patriot Act was signed. The American people did nothing while George Bush and Dick Cheney lied us into a war with Iraq. (Although some liberals did oppose - they were promptly called traitors.)

I'm not going to pretend liberals have the answer to everything, or any sort of monopoly on good policy. But the American people, en masse, have to take a great deal of responsibility for the mess we've made on a those fronts.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we need a clapping emoty :D

Liberals & conservatives are very alike in the sense that they LOVE to complain when the "other" party is doing the deed & stay quiet even spin completely when THEIR PARTY is doing the SAME crap they complained when the "other" party was doing it, war, crapping on the constitution etc etc etc. I'll spare you the Maddow video :p

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Because:

1) Voters don't have anywhere near the clout you're implying.
    2) There actually were widespread protests against the Iraq War in multiple cities, so it wasn't exactly sitting back and doing nothing.
    3) Not everyone agrees this nuclear deal is the best we could've done, despite the attempt by many to frame it as if the only alternative is WWIII.
    4) Specifically with the Patriot Act, although plenty of people were scared into supporting it, a huge number also didn't know or understand the actual details.

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Hairplugs McGafferson is an idiot, but he's entertaining.

14. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

Actual liberals have been protesting both of those for years. Most elected Democrats at the national level are rather conservative.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If Biden gets the nomination the democrats will lose by default.

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

If the GOP nominates a lunatic like Cruz or a fool like Jindal, it's a Democrat tsunami. Bush or Rubio? Then ladies and gentlemen, we have a ball game.

17. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

You must've not looked very hard. Just look at their voting records...

18. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Voters do have the clout, if the polls show Bernie Sanders doing best then you'll get a left wing president.

I don't think the protests in America were as big as in Europe.

At this stage the choices are that the sanctions regime collapses and Iran gains nuclear weapons or you go along with Obama's deal.

Sounds like the voters fault to me.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I want Bernie to win, but it's expensive to run a presidential campaign and bring the message- no matter how good it is- to voters, particularly when the competition is as well-financed and well-connected as Hillary Clinton.

That's just the reality of American elections. The super high cost of mounting a campaign and the nature of both the primary system and electoral college artificially restrict the choices voters have.

Probably not, but the UK and others helped invade Iraq, too, despite the protests.

That's not true. Congress can demand changes as they have in the past with other treaties. Whether they actually have the political will to or not is a different story, but it isn't so black and white.

We didn't vote on it. You can email/fax/call elected officials all you want. They're not obligated to vote how constituents want them to. And although they want to get reelected, if voters are only presented with two choices who support the Patriot Act, then they really don't have much clout at all.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And Tony Blairs reputation has been obliterated because of it, even though he generally did a good job.