Joe Biden's suggestion about women using shotguns.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 27, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

He is a moron. Why does Obama let him talk to anyone? He is worse than Dan Quayle.

That video is stupid. You would be better served to link the full one without the edits.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why is he a moron?

I've heard that a shotgun is an excellent defensive weapon.

I'll agree with you there.

Stu-pid.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's about the same as using a rifle in close quarters, cept you only have to aim in the general direction of your target to hit it.

Which is kind of a good thing, since you'll only get one or two shots off before you have to reload it.

This kinda reminds me of all those pro-gun fliers I've been seeing on Facebook recently. They all have some skinny, vulnerable looking chick holding a big ass assault rifle talking about she's "safe" with that big of a weapon.

Yeah, I'm sure she feels safe, but it won't do her any good in close quarters unless she's got extensive military training.

"I think we've got a burglar, Martha. You throw the flashbang in, and I'll lay suppressing fire towards the veranda 2 seconds after"!

Yeah. That'd be beautiful. A gun zealot's wet dream.

Big rifles like that? They're only meant to be used to cover long distance. If you have a fast moving target running zig zag at you across your 25x20 living room, you'll have to prop it up against your arm and swing it in a wide arc to aim at your target. You'll probably only get one or two shots off before your intruder is within your personal space. If you didn't hit him with those two shots, you're screwed.

And if you don't have even the most basic of training, or aren't thinking in the heat of the moment, you pull the trigger, and the recoil will knock the wind out of you and throw rifle right out of your hand.

If you want a good home defense weapon, a good old fashioned basic not at all fancy handgun will work far, far better than any assault rifle or shotgun. No, it's not as big or as threatening, and it doesn't look as good on the NRA posters, but it's not as heavy, and doesn't take nearly as much time to aim.

Really, any sane intruder will likely back off and raise his hands the moment he sees a gun, big or small. If he's not, well you have a weapon you can shoot that much faster.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I don't agree solely for the fact that if your intent is to hurt said burglar so he doesn't get your 55" insured plasma TV a shot gun is better. While you're half asleep your not going to aim quite so well. Pellets are not going as likely to travel through interior walls when you do miss.

My take is get a replacement insurance policy and treat the intrusion as upgrade time. Save guns for a personal attack, wait until he/she is in range and aim center mass.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you must have a gun for home self defense, the general consensus for years is a pump action or semiautomatic 12G shotgun with the shortest legal barrel.

Showing unsuspecting female first time shotgun shooters is deceptive, sexist propaganda (and a similar one could be made with unsuspecting male first time shotgun shooters). With ANY firearm, training is of utmost importance. Let me see a video of all those women after a training course (and without the pistol grip shotguns) and you'd agree with Biden (except the double barrel part).

7. 2020mike macrumors 6502

Shotguns can hold more then two shells. Unless you're strictly talking about a double barrel.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

shotguns are terrible. I wouldn't use a full size assault rifle to defend my bedroom, but my 9mm sig would do the job very nicely.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What's an assault rifle?

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

Link

11. PracticalMac, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I think 12Ga is too powerful, difficult for even experienced small framed women to handle.

20Ga my suggestion.

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

"defend your bedroom"? :rolleyes:

Your bedroom isn't Omaha beach.

13. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Which video? Link please.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But what if a moose gets into your house? Would a twenty gauge be enough?

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Why don't you do a Google search for "connecticut home invasion", then read some of the results.

Come back after reading.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No thanks, no need in wasting my time. I'm not full of paranoia like some people who think they need a deadly weapon to "defend their bedroom" from the one-in-a-million chance that someone might try to rob their home while armed while they are home.

You're way more likely to get killed going out for your morning run, going out to pick up the newspaper, from food poisoning, or millions of other reasons before you're getting killed in a home invasion. ****, you're probably more likely to slip, fall, and drown in the shower I bet.

How come most of the statistics I see say in a home with a gun it's far more likely that gun will end up injuring or killing someone in that house instead of being used for defense?

It's crazy to me that so many people feel this need to have a gun to "defend" their bedroom yet many of these same people go out and drive 85mph on a 65mph highway while texting or talking on their iphone the whole time.

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

yes but this one was especially brutal and nasty and you know it could be your family next and what if what if what if what if what if

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

;)

I'll take my chances. Everything in life is an accepted risk. If I'm going to worry about something, I'll worry about the things that have a one-in-a-hundred or one-in-a-thousand odds of killing me rather than the one-in-a-million chance.

The "gun to defend the bedroom" crowd reminds me of people who will never fly on an airplane because they are afraid of it crashing, never mind the fact that they are hundreds of times more likely to die in a crash driving to the airport to catch that flight.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

Sure. I keep my firearm in my bedroom. If somebody breaks in and decides they are going to try and come into my bedroom. I'm not going to go look for them, I'll dial 911 and just kill them if they come in.

but no, it's not Omaha beach. No need to be shrill.

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Yes, of course! You are absolutely right.

Next thing, I need to throw away my fire extinguisher (maybe sell it on eBay?) since, in my 66 years, I've never had a fire in my home.

Also, have to cancel my auto theft insurance (save some money there, too). In 45 years of owning a car, never had one of those suckers stolen.

I guess during this spring cleaning, I'd better sell all of my guns, too. After all, statistics say I'm just playing with fire (where's that extinguisher?). I've been pretty lucky that in the 40+ years of owning firearms, it's just any day now that one of those weapons is going to jump up and shoot me.

Thanks a lot, Zi, you have saved me a whole ton of money. I can use some of it to buy Disney stock. Those are the guys that own Fantasyland, right?

22. zioxide, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Shoot first, ask questions later?

The chances of a fire, especially in the kitchen while cooking, are way higher than the chance of you getting killed in a home invasion. So, when I said in my post, "I'll worry more about the 1-in-100s that can kill you", fire would be one of those things.

And good luck keeping your auto registration active without insurance.

Just because something didn't happen in the past doesn't mean it can't happen in the future. Besides, most people live with others. The owner of the gun might be responsible, but he's still human and can make a mistake. And what about the wife, kids, etc? You can try to teach them safety all you want but it just takes one quick lapse in judgement or one mistake. And what happens if someone has a few too many drinks and comes home and gets in a fight? You never know. The odds of something like this happening is higher than the odds of being killed in a home invasion.

:rolleyes:

23. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Wow, so much BS in this thread.

First of all, a shotgun is not a gun for injuring people, they are very deadly. Next to rifles shotguns have the highest percentage of fatalities for people being shot by them.

Second, you STILL HAVE TO AIM A SHOTGUN. You don't "point it in the general direction and shoot". Unless you have the sawed-off 8 gauge combat shotgun from Halo then the spread of the shot will be rather small at average indoor distances. The spread will usually cover the area of a tennis ball at 30 feet, so to hit someone across the room you have to aim just like any other gun.

24. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Shotguns are great but I wouldn't recommend them to a woman.

Whenever I let a woman shoot mine she doesn't want to continue after the first round due to the recoil

25. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I don't know about you guys but i have a .50 caliber right inside my bedroom so that i can defend against intruders.
    While i man that, my girlfriend is a trained expert at throwing knifes, and shooting arrows with her bow.

So our plan is for me to lay down cover fire while she attempts to throw knifes and shoot arrows at the intruder.
    We also have 3 german shepherds trained to attack on command.

Why would we need a shotgun?