Joe Lieberman will not run for reelection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 18, 2011.

1. rdowns, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Another relic retiring. Keep them coming.

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oops, by the title I thought this was going to be that he came out of the closet.

3. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I LOLed because I was thinking the same thing. :D

In any case, this really isn't surprising. The only reason he won in 06' was because of Connecticut's relatively centrist Republican establishment. But he has thus far, at least legislatively, screwed them over especially with his strong support for DADT repeal. And with the Republican party inching right-ward the effect is only intensified.

At the same time his endorsement of McCain has made him unpalatable to Liberals who supported Lamont and thus neither side will support him.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Finally. As a Connecticut resident I'm sure glad to see him leave, what a slime.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Now all you guys have to do is keep Linda McMahon out of national office. Think you can handle it? :p

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

They can never go fast enough.

We have term limits on the POTUS...why not on congresspeople?

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, Joe.

8. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

or at least a mandatory retirement age. The floor of the Senate must smell like a nursing home for christ's sake. 21 of them 70 or older.

Attached Files:

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

More importantly, look at their length of tenure. A Good 'Ol Boys club if I've ever seen one. We're lucky they eventually die off or some of them would probably be there forever.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Depending on who the Dems run I would vote for McMahon. Hey who wouldn't want to see a royal rumble on the Senate floor.:p

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

It's been tried before. There are only two ways to enact term limits on Congress:
    1. Congress can pass a law creating term limits for themselves. (Highly unlikely)
    2. Two-thirds of the state legislatures can call for a constitutional convention to introduce an amendment, and three-fourths of the states must ratify the amendment. (An amendment procedure that has never been used in the history of the U.S.)

Either way is a gigantic uphill battle. But a worthy one.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and why when they day a natural death I say it is a great thing for most of us because it means someone new can get in office and people who should of been kick out decades before are finally out.
    It is pathetic that the only way most of them get out of office is on their death bed.
    15 years should be the max that should be in office (2.5 terms same length as the POTUS)

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Oh god I sure hope we can keep her out. I was pleased when her efforts to buy a seat with tens of millions of dollars were thwarted recently.

14. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Ditto, what an embarrassment he's been. Although he deserves praise for helping repeal DADT, that whole "suspected terrorists instantly have their citizenship revoked" idea was appalling. And his flip-flop on almost every healthcare reform idea.

Hopefully one of our reps. will get his seat (except Himes, since he's the only democrat that can carry D4 due to his huge Hispanic base).

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ditto and good riddance.

16. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Let's get a young, energetic republican in there and clean house!!

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Good riddance! Now the video game industry will stop being hassled by this prick. Now if we can get rid of the useless and immature ESRB and bring about a real ratings system that consists of more than 3 people watching video of a game being played...

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uh, right. We're talking about Connecticut, not Alabama. Even if they were to elect a Republican, it's highly doubtful they would be extremely conservative.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Oh, I'm well aware. I simply find it funny that congress acted quickly to impose term limits after FDR, but have no problem with their own colleagues serving 40+ year terms. Most monarchs don't even last that long.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

As an added point, only 15 state legislatures have term limits as well.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Good Riddance.

I truly cannot put into words my dislike for this man. Truly one of the biggest *******s I know about.

My aunt used to babysit for his kids way back in the day, she said he's 10x worse than in public.

22. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Republican?
    THIS
    IS
    CONNECTICUT
    *kicks Linda McMahon into a pit*

Anyway, our Republicans would get kick out the new GoP anyway. They support things like public transport, public works, etc. The teabags that ran (Linda, Dan "it's time for preemptive airstrikes on Iran" Debbicella, etc.) got pwned by unpopular candidates.

23. thefnshow macrumors regular

yeah you guys got the dingleberry that lied about his service record,lied about being captain of the harvard rowing team (who lies about that?),sues a business owner,violates her civil rights,she gets $18 million in damages then being the scumbag loser that he is,gets her damages reduced and she goes out of business...yeah you guys are a bunch of bright ones out there...you deserve what you get

24. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

U jelly?

The reason Blumenthal won was his impeccable record of upholding veteran's rights, his work to keep schools safe and clean, and his overall good public presence in the state. People trust him because he's helped them in the past. His campaign was a shambles and he was a terrible candidate, but even a lot of Republicans voted for him.

25. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

We need some new people in government anyway. Maybe the younger generation can actually get to this thing that I can't remember what it called because it hasn't happened for so long? Process? Pogress? Big dress? Ohhh, PROGRESS.

We need someone like Christopher Walken to be President. Terrorism would end completely as no one is gonna **** with Christoper Walken. James Earl Jones would do a good job too. His commanding voice, which says I am the one in charge here and you all need to sit the hell down, would stop wars on a dime, part seas, bring back the dodo bird, and be a huge advocate for the progression of cellular phone technology.