John Boehner on unemployed people who "would rather just sit around"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm surprised that this didn't get more play in the supposedly liberal mainstream media.

Boehner made some remarks about the unemployed. I believe that this is the first version, which seems to attack people who would "rather just sit around". (The sequence of remarks is a little unclear to me from the articles.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/18/john-boehner-unemployed_n_5846084.html

The, if I have the sequence of events correct, he explained later that what he meant was:

So, apparently, they aren't so lazy after all, and it is the government's obligation to encourage employment by providing "tools".

Either way, who exactly is he attacking? Are there politicians out there actually giving speeches to people encouraging them not to work? I'm searching my core memory-- maybe back in the 60's-- Abbie Hoffman, perhaps?

In any case, it just sounds like coded racism to me. Ronald Reagan's "welfare queen" speeches all over again. Paul Ryan's earlier version:

Paul Krugman has a slightly more charitable interpretation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/opinion/paul-krugman-those-lazy-jobless.html?_r=0

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

lay him off/fire him, see how much he likes it :D

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

There are times when someone starts accusing racism that I can look at it and at least see how they get to that opinion, but in this one I don't even come remotely close to understanding how you can contort yourself into thinking anything about that statement is remotely in the ball park of racism (outside of the fact that when his name shows up on the ballot in November it will have a R next to it, of course).

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think there's a pretty big difference between saying "the idea of people thinking it's okay to just sit around and be lazy is sickening" and saying "all unemployed people want to just sit around and be lazy."

According to your own source, what Boehner actually said was,

I agree with him - that really IS a very sick idea for our country. But I don't see where he applied that to all unemployed people - for that matter, the quote as you posted it doesn't seem to have him applying it to anyone in particular, just observing that the sentiment is there.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Congress just took the last 60+ days of work before the elections off, with pay, AS THE COUNTRY GOES TO YET ANOTHER ****ING WAR.

Bother has the balls to make statements about people sitting around simply because he knows no one in the corporate media is going to call him out, and the people that vote for these idiots are willfully blind to it.

I'm a very respectful person to everyone I encounter in person...I would spit in Boehners face if he ever crossed my path.:mad:

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

So, you and tomorrow favor Paul Krugman's interpretation, then? No problem.

The sequence of statements is actually a little hard to pick out from the summaries. Perhaps there are transcripts somewhere on line. I will go look (later).

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I agree. I was on board with the OP until it needlessly extrapolated race.

Or maybe I have a racist bias because I don't start with the assumption of racism.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You really don't know too much about the House or Senate, do you? You see, this myth that the Congress, that is the House and Senate are only working 120 days is just that… a myth. it's a great talking point but it's totally false. The House and Senate may not be in session but the members are still working.

Don't believe me? Schedule an appointment with your Representative or Senator. They don't represent Washington DC, well one does, but the rest represent Montana or California. They have to work in their home districts. Most have two, three or even four offices. They have appointments with constituents. They have ribbon cuttings to attend, BBQ dinners, state fairs, and such. They have awards to hand out, they have passport issues to fix and they have hands to shake, babies to kiss.

However, that isn't as good of a talking point to get the base all riled up as to call them lazy bums that don't work but a few days.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

SD, never one to agree with reality.

We are at war. Congress needs to act or this is yet more precedent for the decades long march to imperial presidents having complete control over war policy.

As for the typical crap you've posted...CAMPAIGNING IS *NOT* WORKING. CUTTING A RIBBON IS NOT DOING YOUR JOB AS A POLICY SHAPER.

NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED BOWING TO AUTHORITY.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can you also spit on the democrats who took time off along with him?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Gladly.

I was glad to see Murphy from my state lamenting that were not voting on the war...but again it's just talk.

I'd love to see a coalition of legislators simply sitting in the chambers embarrassing the rest in the media until they show up and do their ****ing jobs.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Their job is to represent their districts or state. You can't represent your district or state if you spend all your time in Washington DC.

What's that fellow's name who adjourned the Senate? Harry something or other? Many want to be upset with "The Congress" but only look at the Congress as being the House. Remember when the Republicans wanted to keep working but Nancy Pelosi turned off the lights and microphones?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks, glad to see some consistency:)

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You won't find much love for the Dems from me. They are the GOP of ten years ago...Corporatists through and through.

I just find it infuriating to see the GOP using projection as a tool, nonstop, yet no one seems to be able to point it out.

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

He would laugh and follow Eric Cantor through the revolving door and right into Wall Street.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its a first, but I completely agree.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well no, I didn't say that, either.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

To further your point, when Obama is golfing, he's really working? Or does that only count for attending BBQ's and State Fairs?

:D

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Absolutely fair question. The President of the United States has the capability to work from just about any where on the planet including any golf course. Personally, if I was President, I'd be on vacation the entire last two years of the second term.

President Bush's Crawford Ranch was used like a second White House. President Roosevelt spent a good deal of time in Warm Prings, GA.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yet Obama has taken less vacation than other president yet he's the golf President.

Obama has issues fewer executive orders than his predecessors yet he's the Imperial President.

And on and on and on.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Let's agree that sometimes President Obama picks the wrong times to be teeing off.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You forgot to put this quote from President Bush:

Even President Obama admitted that it wasn't a great idea to give a statement at 8:45 AM where he extended condolences to the Foley family and then tee off minutes later.

24. FreemanW, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

FreemanW macrumors 6502

Why would it and why should it. The "main stream media" is supposedly about news.

The Republicans, the GOP, and conservatives being completely wrong about everything* ceased being news a long time ago.

*everything:
    Foreign policy
    Domestic Financial policy
    Industry regulation
    Environmental protection
    Weapons of Mass destruction
    Iraq
    Afghanistan
    Voter Fraud
    Social Welfare
    The New Deal
    Glass-Steagall
    Job Creators
    Tax Breaks for the Wealthy
    Unemployment benefits
    Tax Breaks for Corporations
    Health care
    Protecting America
    Guns
    . . . . . aw Hell . . . . there's so much I'm tired of typing

But it aint news :roll eyes:

If I were sentenced to death by firing squad, I would insist that every executioner manning a rifle was a GOP/Conservative, 'cause they can't hit their target for all the love and money in the whole wide World.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

not as bad as bush Reading children's book to children when the planes hit the towers.