John Dowd resigns as Trump’s lead lawyer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/...ump-lawyer.html#click=https://t.co/mOW2tx8TwR

I wonder if the hiring of Joseph diGenova caused Dowd to leave? diGenova is a conspiracy theory nut who thinks the “deep state” within the FBI/DOJ are our to frame Trump. Perhaps that’s even too crazy for Dowd.

EDIT: Dowd confirms.

Let’s not forget this Trump tweet from just a week or so ago:

I guess The NY Times isn’t failing so much...

2. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Joseph diGenova sounds like Trump’s big brother.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I remember him from the 90s when he was arguing that Bill Clinton should be indicted.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

And now he is on the other end. I wonder if he knows of the irony, and, whats the idiom, paybacks a bi**h, or something like that.

6. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

So is this a case of finding a better offer or is it a case of rats fleeing a sinking ship?

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I double posted this Rogifan, sorry about that I've asked for mine to be removed.

They seem to think it's because Trump wants to testify against his advise but IMO it's just as likely Trump could still be considering firing Mueller, guess we'll find out. It would be nice to see both sides agree that Mueller deserves congressional protection in order to complete his investigation.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Could be both :)

9. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I'm not sure what this means yet, but it sure is an interesting development.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

More like fleas fleeing a drowning rat.

11. chown33 macrumors 604

The HomePod and Echo will organize a counter offensive with a very compelling audio feed.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Trump is a criminal lawyer's nightmare client.

Let's be clear about a few things. Not least of which is that Trump has a long history of succeeding despite ignoring the advice of legal, financial, and political experts.

However, we ought also to keep in mind Trump's success rate has not been 100%. And that he's had more than his fair share of failures. Trump Air went bankrupt. So did the Taj Mahal and plenty more besides.

The problem with the current situation, which involves both political and legal hazards for Trump, is he only needs to "lose" on one or two counts to find himself in very deep trouble indeed. Trump thinks he is "innocent of collusion" because he never signed a contract with Vladimir Putin. But that isn't what the investigation is all about. His legal team has told him that, which he doesn't like to hear. And they've also told him the infinite perils the target of a legal investigation bring upon themselves when they talk too much. Which Trump does all the time.

The other problem is that Trump's legal team seems to have no overall director, other than Trump himself. And that Trump doesn't really understand the complexities and nuances of such a wide-ranging investigation.

Lastly, I think the biggest problem of all is that Trump is almost certainly aware that a great many of his business enterprises over the past decade or so were of such shoddy and disreputable nature, that it is all but inevitable that any detailed investigation is certain to find evidence of very serious financial crimes. Money laundering and tax evasion for instance, but possibly fraud and misrepresentations. Trump certainly has the legal right to pardon himself and his associates for such transgressions. But that is a strategy a sitting President can use for only so long, before even the staunchest political allies in Congress begin to lose patience.