John Elway doesn't believe in safety nets/The NFL is Tax exempt? [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 2, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So I stumbled upon this article that says New Jersey will eat all costs for hosting the Superbowl. I was unaware that the NFL is a "nonprofit".
    http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index....curity_costs_to_land_the_2014_super_bowl.html

I think it's about time we change some of these exemption laws for a pro league.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Having visited the deep south, I can assure you that American Football is, in fact, a religion.

Hope that clears your confusion.

;):rolleyes:

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

This may all work out in everyone's favor when you factor in the economic impact that New Jersey felt as a result of hosting the game.

Perhaps that's why they do it?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The the NFL is a 501c non-profit.

Simliar to USACycling, USATF, and most other national level competitive athletic discipline. The only deviation I can think of is Triathlons are for-profit.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I know I'll hate myself in the morning, but I agree with thewitt.

You pull in money, it should be taxed.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Including religious organizations!

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I think New York felt the impact, but I bet Jersey took the brunt of the cost.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd be curious to see some actual statistics showing that there is an actual economic benefit, does anyone have studies from past super bowls? The closest I've found is that big sporting events like the olympics usually lose money, but those require a lot more investment beforehand.

I doubt many people who come in from out of state stay for much more than the weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount stay in New York instead of New Jersey and just go across for the game and nothing else. Plus if it's bringing in a lot of people from out of town then I would guess that the crowds would make tourists who aren't interested in the Super Bowl stay away until it's over, so tourism wouldn't go up either.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im sure restaurants in NYC did great, but the city is so big most people wouldn't even notice the Superbowl was in town. New Jersey had to pay for all of the security and transportation costs and maybe got some hotel revenue. But I doubt they make back the 8 million it cost to host.

There is no reason the NFL can't pick up some of the tab for this game. It's not like they are hurting for money. If I were a city bidding on the game I would tell them to shove it and pay for some of it. If enough cities say that the NFL will change it's tune or drastically scale down the event.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Tons of articles out there that state the NFL overstates the economic impact of the Super Bowl.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/business/a-super-bowl-estimate-with-a-life-of-its-own.html?_r=0

Kind of related:

Wonder how he feels about the bonds floated by taxpayers to help pay for 75% of his new stadium.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It's entirely consistent with his stated belief. He's succeeding and the rest of us are not succeeding.

No problem there. No inconsistency.

15. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

are other professional sports tax exempt? i think it is ridiculous for the amount of money they pull in.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

John Elway doesn't believe in safety nets

Sorry to my Bronco-loving friends, but, I'm now glad that Denver lost miserably. I missed the big Bronco story of the week until now somehow.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/02/john_elway_i_dont_believe_in_safety_nets/

I keep wondering why cities all over the country keep subsidizing pro sports, directly, and, indirectly through sweetheart land deals &etc.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Here the premier league pays for its own stadiums and policing etc.

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Competition between cities, price war to lure teams.
    Not unlike ATT and Verizon competing for customers by lowering price to gain more revenue.

Good sized teams bring A LOT of revenue to your city. Hotels, restaurants, gas stations, shopping stores. Boosts the success of your local businesses and brings in a lot of tax money.

It may sound like a lot of money to subsidize stadiums, but there are real justifications behind it.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Odd, he had no problem with sticking 75% of the cost of a new stadium on taxpayers.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Be sure to check your mailbox today, John. The Mensa invitation is waiting for you.

Also, the Super Articulate Speakers Bureau will be calling soon.

:rolleyes:

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Additionally, most cities/states have travel and hotel taxes, double dip on visitors in such ways as not to burden their local constiuents.

----------

He didn't stick them with it.

The tax payers of that city by their popular vote for their mayor/governor/legislature chose to make an offer, and enter into an agreement, making their city a better price choice.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Come on, football teams play 8 home games a year, 10 if you include pre-season. Add a playoff game or two if your team is good. Do 11 games really generate enough revenue to justify taking on debt to pay for 75% of the stadium?

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Visitors do use local services too - and hotel taxes are usually pretty low.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I haven't seen the numbers for the Broncos, but its certainly probable.

The tax payers, legislature and all in these kind of cities are obviously convinced by evidence. Ive never heard of a mayor/governor ousted because they managed to lure a sports team.