John Ive Discusses the Design of iPhone 4 "Learning About Materials Is Essential"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 1, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

John Ive was interviewed about the iPhone 4's design. He goes on in-depth about it and the processes used to build it. He discusses a lot about how important the materials used are and how well you have to know them.

"That understanding, that preoccupation with the materials and processes, is [very] essential to the way we work."

I guess they didn't play around with iPhone 4's off of a Wi-Fi network or out of an iPhone 3GS case over cellular networks.

It's an interesting read:

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_c...gn_of_the_iphone_4_material_matters_16817.asp

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I want to love the metaphors this guy uses but in the very beginning he talks about alien "antennae" and holding it in your hand; it all just hits a big brick wall that is the antenna issue. I LOVE the iPhone 4 design. But Jonathan Ive goes on about how essential form and function is and can't address the elephant in the room. If the iPhone didn't have the issue this read would be enjoyable and amazing but apple has left a sour taste in my mouth... and it's shockingly unreceptive ;)