John Kasich could be President if there were no video, just audio.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalWizrd, Dec 15, 2015.

1. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I think the thread title says it all. Unfortunately, candidate selection and candidate voting depend in no small part on the candidate's "look and feel".

Kasich says some really perceptive and rational things, but sadly, he just doesn't project "the look".

Other's thoughts are certainly welcome.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

i'm not watching the debate, but I've always found Kasich to be a handsome man.

Sure he doesn't have Rubio's teen idol appeal, but he isn't the most unattractive Republican candidate.

3. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

I probably didn't really make myself clear... I was referring to watching him speaking.

Sometimes it's actually painful (to me, at least).

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The republican party is in the mood for inexperienced candidates this cycle, so no matter what he wouldn't have a great chance.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He's not a great speaker. Neither is Jeb.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If the GOP wants to win the Presidency in 2016 they should run John Kasich as President and Marco Rubio as VP. I know this is a liberal group here, but honestly Hillary would struggle against that ticket. You have a sane, smart, well spoken and very experienced man at the top of the ticket and a young up and coming smart man as VP. It's really an Eisenhower-Nixon style ticket. Both are moderate enough not to scare off Independents, but are conservative enough to get Republicans to come out and vote.

Second with those two you can pretty much guess what column Ohio and Florida will end up in not to mention purple States such as Iowa, Colorado, Nevada, Virginia, etc. Seriously this is the ticket you run. I'm a Democrat. Granted a South Dakota Democrat would be a Republican on the East or West coast, but I'd vote for a Kasich-Rubio ticket in a second. As a gay man they don't scare me and I feel they would do well keeping our country safe. I also believe they would protect our Bill of Rights. The entire Bill of Rights.

That's my opinion and I honestly think that's the ticket if they want to win the general election.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's a good ticket. As a liberal, it's the one I'd like to see as well ... Which is probably why Republicans won't go for it.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

That's not the ticket Hillary would want to run against. I promise that would be a very tough ticket for the Democrats... However your right... I don't see it going that way. I don't see why they don't see it... But they don't.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I agree. If they can carry Ohio and Florida it would do them well. The downside is I think John is a horrible speaker and leans too much on sound byte talking points. He's too old-school in how he fights.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Jeb'e closing argument last night was laughable. I mean, most were for content but he had laughable delivery, too.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's a ticket the Republican party would love to run. It's the base that seems to be the problem.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Brokered convention.

13. QCassidy352, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016

QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe we've had too much excitement since 2000. Maybe Kasich would be the equivalent of Angela Merkel. Very competent, smart, sturdy, gets the job done.

Nah why we would we want to go there. Drama, we need more drama.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's all about feeding the 24/7 news cycle. Boring candidates don't get people watching.

16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Maybe not, but I have a feeling he'd be a very good President and would be comforting to the country in our current climate. Your right though drama and celebrities sell in the current 24 hour news cycle.

17. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Kasich should flip parties after he drops out of the Republican race and run as Hilary's VP. That would be better than Bernie, oh wait...

18. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I'm a somewhat liberal Democrat who is worried about the state of the G.O.P.

The fact of the matter is that we need two viable and competent parties, in order for our system to work. Hey, even though I am a liberal, as a taxpayer I want there to be fiscal conservatives fighting over every dime spent. Again, checks and balances.

But I worry that today's GOP, ever since the Newt rubber stamp era, is so worried about being primaried that congressman don't have the ability to make their minds up on issues. And presidential candidates are now all about sound bites, without much substance. IMOHO, a president can be a good leader, regardless of the party they came from. But I didn't see many good leaders on the GOP stage.

I do agree that, out of the bunch, Kasich seems the most thoughtful and practical. He was one of the few, maybe the only one, who didn't seem to be throwing out sound bites. He strikes me as an adult, which is rare in today's political environment.. As an American, I'd say he seems the most capable of doing a good job. Actually, I was quite impressed with him. 20yrs ago, there were lots of republicans I respected. Today, not so much.

But alas, we're likely to get a Trump Circus or a Cruz train of B.S. neither will win a general, and I think both are bad for the GOP and the country as a whole.

Again, I think it's in America's best interest to have a strong GOP. Unfortunately, I'm just not seeing that now.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Clinton is no better than Cruz or Trump though and that's the problem with this election.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Clinton would be similar to Romney. So would be fine.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The same was said about TV.
    In the Nixon Kennedy debate, those that just heard it thought Nixon the better, those that saw said Kennedy.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And how said that even back then we were already adopting telegenic charm as a necessary attribute for political leadership.

23. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

There's no place for Kasich in 2015. He's too sane for the GOP and doesn't share much in common with the Democrats.