John Kelly expected to resign within days

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Rogifan, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Kind of curious he’d do it right before Christmas and in the new year..

2. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There is always a Trump tweet, it's become a fundamental law of thermodynamics.

If Kelly goes, expect that Nielsen at DHS leaves soon after. My read on the White House is that Kelly is trying to hold this whole thing together, but his sense of duty may be running short.

Also, Tillerson is increasingly critical of his former boss:

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Trump is a lot like Eddie Van Halen (I know I'm dating myself), if it's not family, he'll eventually stab you in the back.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

He was ineffective at best, bad when he stepped out at worse.

Chief of Staff is a useless position in Trump world. He knows best, he does things easily, legally and cool. Who needs one?

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

As someone once said, Trump's aides have shorter life expectancies than mayflies.

In any case, Kelly strikes me as at least somewhat sane and competent. Can you just imagine what it'll be like when he's gone? Can you? :eek:

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I suspect like anyone who works for Trump, he was neutered and just there for appearances like the rest of them.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I imagine Trump's id being unleashed without anybody shielding the country from it. Ouch.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I suspect that it's a double edged sword. On one hand - you want someone close to him who can reel him in. On the flip side - if no one is there to warn him about what's possible and not - legal and not - the sooner he would be removed from office for crossing many lines. So many lines. The yugest.

11. zin macrumors 6502

Maybe the "sources" will get it right this time after previously getting it wrong about five times.

Just look at the 'Similar Threads'. :D

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Optimist.

13. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Trump didn't want a Staff Secretary either, or anyone else around him who was going to try to "lay down the law" if it got in Trump's way.

I remember in Woodward's book a mention that just after Trump's inauguration, Jared Kushner introduced Trump to his first staff secretary, and explained how the occupant of that post would organize and archive the flow of paperwork through the Oval Office to maintain an orderly approach to daily issues of actual governance. Clearly annoyed at the very idea, Trump apparently brushed past the two men and went off to find a TV set to see how the Inauguration commentary was going.

Since then Trump has clearly demonstrated his resistance to being guided on process or even on policy matters, at least whenever he's already decided he knows what he believes and figures that means it's checked off the to-do list for good... so no need for anyone to brief him or try to change his mind or tell him how things work.

Obviously when Trump believes stuff like he can do whatever he wants as president (which seems to be most of the time), this causes conflicts between himself and staffers, no matter how competent and versed in constitutional requirements they may be.

To me it's astounding Kelly has stayed on as Chief of Staff this long. In managing to do that, he has at least learned a lot of how Trump ticks, which probably only seems to us as outsiders would have a pretty short learning curve. Apparently there are areas in which Trump does take guidance but there's a long list of red-lined zones where only a fool goes again after having stumbled against one of the tripwires. When he goes off the charts in response to such move, nothing of substance gets done in the rest of that workday according to staffers interviewed by Woodward.

So Trump may operate on impulse and be guided fairly often by anger, jealousy (and insecurity) but he likely also gives off assorted vibes that communicate "just in time" where it's not worth trying to get the guy to go... even if that in turn means a Chief of Staff or Staff Secretary or one of the principal advisors eventually having to get with other staffers to see what can be done within the law to accommodate at least the look of some of what Trump wants without violating the Constitution.

That would not seem to be a job skill that anyone can pick up at the drop of the hat, since everyone who's had to work for Trump has had to take their turns in the barrel of his rage while learning how to work around infeasible or illegal demands.

And one wonders who would want the Chief of Staff position now with all the legal issues swirling around this presidency. Perhaps --and very unlike John Kelly-- only someone who like Trump figures the President can operate above the law.

14. Zenithal macrumors G3

He was mostly useless often getting into shouting matches with the princess. Things will turn sour if Mattis resigns.

15. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Sour might be too impressionistic a swipe of the brush there. Things literally might go ballistic if Mattis leaves (however "leave" gets construed in the severance paperwork). I think Kelly's been part of the anchoring to reality around that place, as little of it that there may be. Of course there's been shouting. Half the people in there are deluded.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

During the campaigning, I heard from many that since Trump had a lot of experience in business, he would be good at running the country. Forget his bankruptcies - what these people continued (and continue) to realize is that the country is not a private or even a public business. And a CEO is very different than POTUS.

Seems obvious to anyone with half a brain. And we've constantly seen a stream of evidence that supports the idea that Trump STILL doesn't understand this himself.

17. Zenithal macrumors G3

I try not to imagine nuclear apocalypse when I think of Mattis resigning. The White House has effectively become a brothel with a revolving door and a turn-stall full of randoms with barely a hint of experience because the big baby goes through experienced politicians and leaders like a wino goes through booze.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And yet, we have:

Chief Of Staff John Kelly To Leave White House At The End Of The Year

John Kelly Out As White House Chief Of Staff By End Of Year

Those "sources" actually had it right, because that departure had been accumulating for months, even going back to his first day on the job.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-kelly-chief-of-staff-moments_us_5ac3b652e4b04646b646ffd8

BL.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

economy is doing pretty good, NK ans SK are meeting and putting things aside and the only gripes against trump are from the left........

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Gonna be an awkeward 2 weeks in the White House but hey. I'm sure they're all used to that .

:D

21. raqball macrumors 68000

That's kinda like predicting that Trump will leave the White House and then coming back to pound your chest, say you were right, when he does leave after 2 full terms in office... Cuz ya know, he did leave the White House as predicted.... LOL....

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's rich, seeing that this is coming from someone who is looking at repealing the 22A so he can run for a 3rd term, let alone be POTUS for life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ning-for-the-end-of-presidential-term-limits/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/17/trump-term-new-yorker-last-phase-presidency

BL.

23. zin macrumors 6502