John Kelly says undocumented immigrants 'don't have the skills' to assimilate into US society

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 11, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/11/...ducation/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

(CNN)White House chief of staff John Kelly said he believes the vast majority of undocumented immigrants crossing the southern border into the US do not assimilate well because they are poorly educated.

"Let me step back and tell you that the vast majority of the people that move illegally into United States are not bad people. They're not criminals. They're not MS13," Kelly told NPR in an interview released late Thursday, referring to the criminal gang. "But they're also not people that would easily assimilate into the United States into our modern society."

The former secretary of the Department of Homeland Security said the undocumented immigrants don't speak English and are "overwhelmingly rural people" from countries where "fourth-, fifth-, sixth-grade educations are kind of the norm."

"They don't integrate well; they don't have skills. They're not bad people. They're coming here for a reason. And I sympathize with the reason. But the laws are the laws," he went on to say.

I think Kelly has a point here. Unfortunately his boss has decided to brand everyone coming here as bad people - murderers, rapists, gang members etc. so it’s impossible to have a real discussion on what needs to be done to improve our immigration system/laws.

2. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I take issue with him referring to the USA as a modern society.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

How is it not?

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

OK, so if they are poorly educated and don't have the skills for good jobs, don't they take the jobs we need filled? Farm workers and such?

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yeah! Like Central Valley, California! Oh, wait....

I mean Midwestern Kansas!! Oh, right...

I really meant to say Wisconsin and Michigan! Oh, wait...

;)

BL.

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

John Kelly lost all credibility when he attacked Congresswoman Wilson with a false account of a speech she made (easily verified by watching it online) and refusing to apologize. If he were ever honorable, he's now been tainted by close association with the Liar-In-Chief.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

We're 40 years behind the ball on the most basic of societal services, healthcare.
    Thousands of our cities and towns have lead water levels HIGHER than Flint Michigan.
    We have bridges literally falling down due to disrepair.
    Our infant mortality rate and maternal mortality rate are creeping back up to what some would consider third world status.
    60+% of the country cannot afford an unexpected $500 expense, after 40 years of stagnant wages while productivity continues to accelerate.

America is going backwards in time. I don't consider having Silicon Valley and Wall Street to be the hallmarks of modernity while the UN found the conditions of those in poverty in America to be worse than any developed nation, while being the wealthiest nation on the planet. We are not a leader in anything other than arms dealing and diabetes. That doesn't mean we don't posses the ability to be modern, we just have none of the will to shake up our decrepit governance structures to allow us to progress.

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think what Kelly is saying is pretty reasonable and I agree with everything he said...up to the “the law is the law” part.

By saying, “the law is the law”, if he’s basically saying, “Yeah, they’re not bad peoole, I sympathize with them, but we need ICE to round them up and put them out anyway”, then his position really isn’t any different than his xenophobic boss’ position.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Two things:
    1. If 'undocumented' (i.e. illegal immigrants) don't assimilate well... why are they so hard to find?
    2. Maybe they blend in well because they are poorly educated (so solve the illegal immigration problem by teaching your citizens better!) :D

11. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

They are very easy to find. You just tend to have mayors giving them warnings before they are captured :).
    I am guessing you have not spent much time in the south? They are very easy to spot, but getting anyone to do anything about it can be an issue. This is one reason we need a change.

12. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It’s also directly contrary to his boss’s rants about the “caravan” of immigrants crossing Mexico. Those people are applying for asylum (i.e., seeking legal immigrant status). That episode proved pretty conclusively (along with Trump’s comments about legal immigration from s-house/hole countries) that these guys don’t really care about “the law.” They only care about preventing more people of color from immigrating.

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So basically you think we’e not a modern country because the administrative state isn’t big enough.

14. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Yea, that’s clearly what I wrote :rolleyes:

15. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I wish we could deport our proud willfully ignorant who are much more dangerous to our country.

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

How is this even relevant? An attempt at hypocrisy when you cannot compare times. SMH
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2018 ---
    With unemployment at 3.9%, we have plenty of our own workers before we have to delve into the foreign pool.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He is complaining about how immigrants don't have the skills to assimilate into US society...

.. yet here are his own ancestors, just as ignorant and without those same skills he is railing on immigrants now as not having.

Times don't matter in this case. They are without the same skills, and can be compared. In short, before making idiotic statements like this, Kelly should have made sure that his own yard was in check.

BL.

18. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Tell Trump that. He relies on foreign guest workers for menial service jobs at Mar-a-lago because he can’t get Americans to do that work.

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Totally disagree, back then, many were not literate and driving a wagon was a skill.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Not for farm work. Farmers literally can’t bring in harvests because of not having enough workers.

21. MacAndMic, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018

MacAndMic macrumors 6502

What he did because of loopholes is exactly why he is making the changes, he knows it’s a slime move but I can’t fault him for being business savvy when the rules allowed it.
    Right, somewhere along the way, Americans lost sight of what an honest days work is and think these jobs are beneath them. Trust me, they aren’t, go visit a fast food restaurant and see if they get your order correct or can give you change off the top of their head.
    And another thing about this and I am sure I will get flamed for this BUT! Many Farmers grew their business off of the backs of illegal workers. Don’t complain now that you don’t have those same resources because you didn’t plan on having to do it legally.

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Many conservatives want the cheap labor. Their tenure in office depends on the votes of the hypocritical GOP voters who want a wall, just not around their farms.

Trump is another ginormous hypocrite, who benefits from loopholes (which he won't close) and cheap products bearing his name which are made overseas. Yes, Orange Nixon talks a great game to get his base riled up, and he will absolutely put in place some laws to tear up families and deport those who have started businesses and pay taxes, but he loves his cheap labor as much as the next person.

23. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

How about getting up to current events and not citing pre-election leftist rants.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

How about you listen to what your constituents on the right have said about these issues? A few months ago, not pre-election.