John Kerry speaking in Paris rationalizing the Charlie Hebdo attack.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Nov 18, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

Leaders from around the world gathered in Paris to show their support for the French. Obama blew off the event, but sent John Kerry in his stead. What a doozy.

Kerry said “there’s something different about what happened from Charlie Hebdo, and I think everybody would feel that.”
    “There was a sort of particularized focus and perhaps even a legitimacy in terms of — not a legitimacy, but a rationale that you could attach yourself to somehow and say, OK, they’re really angry because of this and that”

A rationale? A legitimacy? What drugs is Kerry on? Or was Kerry being extraordinarily frank?

http://time.com/4117525/kerry-charlie-hebdo-massacre-had-clearer-rationale-than-paris-attacks/

2. vrDrew, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Charlie Hebdo offices were attacked allegedly as retaliation for their publication of images deemed to be offensive. The November 13 attacks were perpetrated on random people in Paris restaurants and entertainment venues.

Its splitting hairs - but yeah, journalists who publish controversial material are a slightly more understandable target than random civilians.

That doesn't make either legitimate targets. It doesn't make either attack less of a crime. But then Kerry pointed that out.

But hey: Keep running with the worthless "gotcha" nonsense.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I understand exactly was Kerry was trying to say: Charlie Hebdo was a targeted attack while the Friday the 13th attack was more indiscriminate.

However, Kerry is unusually skilled in making simple utterances sound stupid and ridiculous.

4. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

He and John Kasich must have gone to different schools together.

Edit: Someone explain to me why the Safari spell checker was compelled to change Kasich to Katich.

5. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Both were targeted. Make no mistake.

6. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Not worthless to those at Hebdo, individually shot at close range with a high power rifle.

Hey, the left is all about "feelings", right?

How must it have felt to see the man next you shot into bloody mush, and you know that you're next?

How do the survivor's feel about rationalizing the murder they witnessed? Or how do the families of the dead feel after listening to old horse face stupidly run off at the mouth?

And how did the French feel, getting an American benchwarmer to show up?

And how did Obama feel, in that he failed to show up? What the hell was so important? Obama shows up on The View. He shows up on Ellen.

The thing Obama did show up at, in Turkey, he was too late to attend the moment of silence for the French dead.

But Obama certainly manages to punctually make his tee time.

7. Populism, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I can't speak to Kerry's most recent comment, but I was relieved when he recently called the Paris attacks "evil". Remarkably, there are Liberals who proudly espouse there is no actual evil in this world. I'm glad he's not one of those Liberals.

If only he'd go the next step past their acts being evil, and note that the terrorists are evil.

But one outta two ain't bad.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Incompetent like the rest of the administration.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't think there are many liberals in the world that will say that evil doesn't exist.

I'm sure there are plenty that will say evil is subjective.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree. Kerry is an idiot.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I never thought Kerry was particularly bright and that was confirmed in 2004 when we learned he had the same "C" average at Yale as GWB. He is a Northeast elitist who made his money the old-fashioned way: he married into it.

12. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

To Kerry’s credit, he walked back the rationale statement.

When you have nothing to really say, it’s probably best to keep your mouth shut. Especially when you're trying to come off so very profound among your peer group.

Kerry’s meandering words remind me when I’m leaving a voice mail for someone and have gotten off track and it’s unfortunately being recorded. The more I keep talking, the more wayward the message. So embarrassing.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Agree.

I think JK's "not one inch" thing he keeps talking about is applicable here.

It's not okay to kill someone because they make fun of you. Trying to empathize or rationalize something like that even a little bit is pretty degrading and suggests lack of empathy for the Charlie hebdo victims.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its still yet another utterly meaningless "gotcha" thread.

It means nothing to the people of Paris. It means nothing to the ISIL criminals who carried it out. It means nothing to the victims of the Charlies Hebdo attack. And it means nothing to the rest of us.

Public officials, of which the US Secretary of State ranks pretty high, have pretty much every word and action recorded and hashed over. Every once in a while human beings stumble over their words or make a verbal miscue.

Constantly harping on garbage like this does nothing to foster understanding or dialog between different people. It simply sows discord.

In very simple terms: You are helping the terrorists achieve their aims by creating threads like this.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This is an interesting post coming from you. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im calling the Feds as we speak, we've been searching for the seeds of terrorism in all of the wrong places.

18. Happybunny, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

That sounds more like a statement from someone who's jealous.
    Plus you are wrong, the real old fashioned way, is to inherit the wealth yourself, after all they call it "Old Money" not "Money got from marriage"

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

We need to be politically correct....we should be saying "Intelligently Challenged".

20. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

So, who was helped by the three PRSI threads created yesterday by you?

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

You know the answer.

[​IMG]

22. ucfgrad93, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is pretty rich coming from someone who is constantly vilifying Republicans/Conservatives/Fox News, etc.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What's almost amusing is that anytime someone tries to make something out of nothing as a mean of discrediting the Obama Administration, the usual gang of suspects throws their thumbs-up onto the post. It's kind of like the stock market when it's driven by emotions. What they don't realize is that it demeans their reps when wasting their thumbs up in such a manner. We know you don't like Obama, but it makes a huge difference if it's a real substantive issue versus partisan sniping. :)

24. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

I not going to quote or disparage vrDrew, whose writing style I like. Puts things in a unique way, and is among the creative and enlightened among the left-leaning members.

But Kerry walking it back is indicative that he’s gotten the message. Of course, not from me, but from a sufficient number of criticisms, and from a sufficiently wide range, that the man had no choice.

The only thing that was made fun of today was how many words it took Kerry to mea culpa. I heard to on radio and it’s a hoot. One would imagine this public servant gets paid by the word.