John Lennon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpgr15, Oct 9, 2015.

1. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Not sure if we've got any other John Lennon or Beatles fans on here but today would have been John's 75th birthday.

We all shine on.

Thank you for the music, John.

RIP

image.jpeg

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Huge Beatles fan here; however, John Lennon was a real prick.

Remove the comedy songs from the White Album, and you'd have a classic single LP.

Ringo was the most talented Beatle; he just never had the opportunity to express himself percussion-wise.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. aaronvan, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Because like PSRI, the Beatles speak to a generation.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

The real question is would he still have been a wife beating pathological liar at 75?

Probably..... is the answer.

6. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

A newspaper once asked Lennon if Ringo was a good drummer and he famously replied that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

No question Lennon was a prick but that certainly doesn't negate all the good he gave the world - similar to Steve Jobs, really. Lennon was actually Jobs' favorite Beatle.

Lennon said it best regarding hypocrisy and the standards people hold him to:

Sorry, maybe a mod can move it to current events or something. Wasn't quite sure what the most appropriate forum was but I wanted to share it as there's no question the cultural impact Lennon had on the world so I assumed there would be some interest.

7. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm certainly NOT condoning wife beating but damn, people need to lay off this rhetoric. We're all humans and therefore less than perfect. I think everyone on here would be thankful the entire world doesn't know about some of the stupid **** we did in our younger/alcohol fueled years.

The man has met his creator and hopefully sought repentance. It's easy to bash when they're not here to defend themselves.

8. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same with Harrison, really. Can't imagine how hard it would have been to get a word in with Lennon/McCartney calling the shots.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Is there any other topic concerning John's life that we aren't allowed to talk about?:rolleyes:

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I've done a great deal of stupid stuff that was fueled by alcohol but beating on women was one of them. Beating on women isn't just a wow that was stupid kind of thing.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

John Lennon was a weak, insecure man with serious mommy issues. It seems all his wealth and fame brought him no peace.

12. dec. Suspended

dec.

Did you at least apologize to her afterwards?

13. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not saying you can't talk about it but anytime someone brings the guy up its the first thing you hear. Just like whenever someone brings up Jobs' personal life the first thing you hear is how ****** of a dad he was. It's just exhausting.

I'm not defending his actions. It was clearly reprehensible. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

It must have been a lonely, miserable life. Personally, all that cash would keep me plenty warm at night.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Usually my stupid wasn't directed at someone.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

So wife beating is ok?

Got it.

16. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you miss the first line where I said, "I'm not condoning wife beating"?

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

What about the emotional abuse he gave his kids too? Should we just blindly celebrate the man, without even mentioning the fact he was actually an evil man who made his career of lies and hypocrisy?

I guess so.

18. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Being difficult has nothing to do with Talent. John and Paul were the really Talented Beatles.

19. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

The White Album and Abbey Road, two masterpieces of the age of R&R, of which John Lennon heavily contributed to. BTW, if I have a like of John Lennon it was because of his talent and music, not because he was a sweet guy. :):)

20. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

+1 to this. It's all about the music to me. You don't have to be a good person to be a good musician. I'm just trying to keep it somewhat balanced despite all the vitriol in this thread which is clearly an unpopular stance. I do not condone the crappy things he did whatsoever.

The White Album is on its own level. The peak, IMHO.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If it helps I don't like the Beetles much either I see them as the OG boy band fully contrived

22. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

yes.

to the useless zero-talented people there is always whining about some pc thing, of course. enjoy.

23. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

In general when fans express love of actors and musicians, the basis is their music and portrayals, not who they really are. In most cases, we don't know them. However, I admit that when the negative personalities of some actors become known or when I feel like their personality overshadows their acting abilities, then I might grow to dislike them.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
    Only to find Gideon's bible

Deep, man.

Everywhere there's lots of piggies
    Living piggy lives
    You can see them out for dinner
    With their piggy wives
    Clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon

Don't be square; just dig the heaviness.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I always thought randomly punching at something whenever you hear Yoko Ono sing was more a reflex action, honestly.