John Lewis selling high end £499 Mini for £366 ($549)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nick9191, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Seems like a good deal, especially with 2 year warranty.

3. sananda macrumors 68020

4. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I could be tempted but seeing as it is now out of stock it's pretty immaterial really :(

5. sananda macrumors 68020

i paid £450 (ish) a few weeks ago so in some ways i'm glad there aren't any in stock to taunt me!!

6. MST macrumors 6502

MST

^ LOL, fair play...I think I'd feel the same if I were in your shoes.

I dare say some of the high street stores may have the odd system knocking around, might have a look whilst I'm out and about tomorrow.

I've been wanting a cheap Mac Mini for some time now to use as an Apple alternative to a media PC.

7. kolax macrumors G3

With John Lewis (if you bought it from there) there is a 28-day price promise, that if they reduce it within that period they'll refund the difference to you.

I love John Lewis. Best retailer in the UK by far.

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I bought my current one in the last clearance sale (can't remember if it was Christmas or around March/April) for £399. You may find a few in store still.

As for the Air, my local store (Solihull) have sold very few so no wonder they are clearing them out. The new Alu MacBooks are flying off the shelves though!

9. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

BTW: The John Lewis warranty is not very good as I have had no luck with it so far!

10. kolax macrumors G3

Elaborate on that please.

The first year is with Apple, the second year is with a 3rd party. What is crap about it?

11. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Well, put it this way, its good that its free, because I wouldn't pay for it!

Now I know it's not an Apple Warranty, but some things that Apple covers, John Lewis doesn't. For instance, I was trying to get my fan fixed as it was making the "moo" noise. I still have an AppleCare warranty, but didn't have the time to travel up to the Store, plus JL's is a bit closer. The guy I spoke to on the phone, basically said "Is it useable? Does it work fine?" (Not literally, but it was basically what he was saying!)

The JL warranty is good, but I still prefer AppleCare! Plus, I live quite far away from both stores!

(I have re-worded my previous post!)

Sorry, I should have explained more!

But if the Mini was in stock I'd jump at the chance of getting one as a Media Center Mac!

12. kolax macrumors G3

I find that hard to believe. John Lewis, if within the first year, will send it off to Apple if anything is wrong.

The call centre is full of numpties and I wouldn't ever listen to them. If you have a problem, take it into the store. And if you aren't happy, be nice and sound and you'll get excellent service.

13. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Yeah well, it was the call-centre of numpties! Don't get me wrong, I love John Lewis's, I just think Apple offer a much better service, and would rather pony up the £110 for AppleCare

(Sorry, should have explained more & please don't hate me!)

14. kolax macrumors G3

Hmmm. I'd disagree.

Depends which store and who you speak to though, but generally, John Lewis (and from the responses on this forum) are much better than Apple customer service wise.

15. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

OK, I just prefer to go the Apple Route, although, the Genius Bar can become very crowded, and appointments (especially at my store) are quite difficult to get and have very few open places in the week, but that's just my personal experience.

16. kolax macrumors G3

Definitely go to the Apple Store if you want it looked at - I totally agree. Get technical advice and the Genius will be able to look at it there an then.

But John Lewis will go out there way to please you - for example, I had a yellow tint MacBook Pro (back in 2007) and Apple would have had nothing to do with it, they said it was in spec. John Lewis replaced it, and I was able to open the box before the exchange to check if the replacement was sufficient.

I got mine replaced in the end with a unibody MBP after the first repair costed over £1000. Second repair was for a new optical drive and they just replaced the unit.

17. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Well I'll definitely check-out JL's warranty when my AppleCare runs out on my MacBook, as I got it from JL's. I'll just avoid the guy in the call-centre!

18. kolax macrumors G3

Haha yeah.

The 2 year guarantee is worth it. Any time within that period it fails, you're covered and if you are polite with the after sales folk, they might be generous.