John McCain thinks Apple Products Are Made In USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kdawg, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I don't think there are any consumer electronic devices made in the U.S.

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

WOW! He is so out of touch with the real world.

Dumb question:

Does intel make their CPUs here in the US? I have no idea that's why I'm asking.

Hugh

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Sarah Palin cannot even see where the iPhone is made from her house. :rolleyes:

But thanks for the stock bump on Monday, John. ;)

4. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Circuit boards and the like used to be made in the U.S. Now? Don't know. I did find several "Intel made in China" links. This might be a really good example of good jobs exported.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You'd think he would have maybe pointed to Intel building a fab in Arizona. They announced in last month. :rolleyes:

Intel has a fab in Oregon too.

6. Peterkro, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

List of Intel fab sites,surprisingly for those who don't know about the Celtic tiger bubble several are in Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_manufacturing_sites

(I don't know how complete that list is from memory there's at least one in Germany and I'm sure of heard of building in eastern Europe also).

(actual thinking about it I may talking about fab sites in general i.e. some may AMD etc)

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I just checked and my deodorant was made in the USA. Or at least the label part that says "made in..." was made in the USA. Maybe McCain should have mentioned mens hygiene products instead.

8. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

this coming from the guy who doesn't know how to use email

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think he should have checked the label of his iPhone first, or Googled it...

I suspect he's just going senile in his old age :(.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Those are the not-so-fab sites.

11. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I wish they were.

The price premium would not have to be nearly as high as people imply, but companies that manufacturer in developing countries like their 4000% profit margins on manufacturing.

Think about it, how many iphones do you think they assemble per hour in a typical factory? 100? 1000? 10000? Even with workers making $15/hr, the cost per device would be minor for assembly.

I could care less if they make them here, or somewhere else. But I should be able to buy a macbook pro without worrying that a 15 year old girl got paid $5 a day to put if together for me. I would pay $100 more for a macbook if I knew that didn't happen. I think most people would.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You probably couldn't, you know.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So don't worry. That's why Apple does the supplier surveys.

And the number of underage employees Apple found in their ethical survey is tiny compared to the total number of employees.

PS $5/day is probably above the world median wage.

14. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Just because the pay may be above some "world median" does not make it ethical in any way possible.

Step back from constantly defending Apple for a moment. Every single electronics manufacturer has bought in to the "race to the bottom" mentality.

Its just wrong, there is no way around it.

15. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I think we should listen to him. He obviously knows a lot about hardware, having invented the BlackBerry. He got that idea after Al Gore invented . . . you know.

I hate when politicians talk about computers.They can't seem to get them right.

16. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

It's going to get worse. The only jobs that are safe are those that touch people. Barber... probably can't outsource that. We are raising a generation that doesn't know how to make anything. It's not their fault... Used to be almost everyone (when I was a young man) worked in a factory making something here in the USA.

It's one thing to lose boring drone-like jobs that you can train someone in 5 minutes to perform. It's another thing when you start losing engineering and chemical engineering and bio engineering jobs to overseas. How do you compete with their college graduates (who are just as smart as ours) when a phd makes 15k a year, a masters makes 10k and a simple college graduate makes 5k.

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

It's probaly because he wasn't born in America and not a US citizen

Oh man, I DARE him to run for pres again :D

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah it does, most people in the world are richer than ever before. 30 years ago the guys in working in the iPad factory would have had nothing at all, now they have running water, electricity and the chance to take home $5000 PPP/year after living costs. Seems like they do fine.

I'm defending globalisation and capitalism, I'd much rather work in the iPad factory in Shenzhen, than grow up in some of the sink estates in the UK - at least in Shenzhen you are living in a dynamic environment and have a good chance to better yourself and your children.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The Arizona fab has been in production for quite a while now (ever since first 32nm refresh CPUs). That's where all 32nm CPUs are made. Hence it's name fab 32.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was referring to this from 2 weeks ago.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Feel free to stop buying any products made in China then?

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Oh that one! Yes, I had heard rumors of a second fab in Arizona. I thought it was wishful thinking and perhaps maybe Intel was going to upgrade their fab in Costa Rica, but apparently they are real.

I stand corrected, thank you good sir.

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think he read a little too much into the "Designed in California" part.