John McCain throws himself into the gutter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(How's that for an engaging thread title? ;) )

I've already seen evidence of this. We're a battleground state here in Ohio, of course. I've seen one commercial (admittedly in passing, so I didn't notice whether it was paid for by McCain or a 527) that is a smearfest, laden with ominous music, dark clouds, portentous narration, and a scowling photo of Obama, seeking to link Obama to Tony Rezko, William Ayers and Jeremiah Wright. In fact, it prominently displays Wright's infamous "God damn America" line.

Not able to win on their record and platform, the McCain campaign is gonna try to scare the **** out of people.

I think it might net them a few voters, but not enough to win. It's too late for that, and as for the scare tactics, the Republicans have been once too often to this particular well.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Strangely, we are getting these McCain ads in NY. As NY stations reach into NJ and CT, all solid blue states, it makes little sense to me. I guess the small part of PA that can get NY stations are the target, although PA aint looking too good for McCain right now.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Questions about Obama's honesty and judgement!!!

McCain is the least honest and has the worst judgement.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh, if only it were literally true.
    :D

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I saw a piece on CNN where voters talked about how sick they were of the negative campaigning, they wanted to hear the candidates talk about themselves and their policies from now on. I guess McCain couldn't have picked a worse time to crank the scaremongering up to 11. Then again it's no news that gramPOW McCain is out of touch with the 21st century.

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

"Hi. I'm John McCain. My big selling point is that I'm a frugal SOB who doesn't waste money on senseless projects, and I'm demonstrating that by blowing millions of $$$ on TV ads in solid blue states where I don't stand a chance." :rolleyes:

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ask Hillary how well the Rev. Wright and Ayers crap worked out for her.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yet another McCain flip-flop in an attempt to get some votes. :rolleyes:

Just a couple of days ago he was on NPR saying he knows how to run an honorable campaign (which was a dubious claim at that point). Now he's pulling the positive ads and going even more negative?

Also indicative is this idea he wants to move the conversation away from the economy (you know, the issue that matters most in these times) because he knows he can't win on the actual issues.

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I gotta ask... in America, is it considered a sign of strength to appear desperate?

How does that work, like, "wow, this guy will really do anything to win, I guess that means he would do anything for America too!"...?

Not, like, "jeez, this is about as undignified as it gets. What a loser, I'm voting for the other guy"...?

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As if we couldn't see this coming. The next 4 weeks are going to be UGLY. McCain is about to borrow a page for the Hillary Clinton "kitchen sink" strategy, only he's going to take it up a couple more notches.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

That sounds eye-wateringly (sic) painful! :eek:

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

Yep we are about to be reintroduced to Rev. Wright.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They should think long and hard before they do that lest America be introduced to Palin's witch hunting pastor.

14. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If the repugnant party wants to use Rev. Wrong then Obama needs to use the witch hunter.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

whats sad is that this will probably work.......

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not to mention that repugnant evangelical that McCain had ties to. I forget his name and can't be bothered to Google it.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just like Bush, throw mud, make up stuff more Mud and talk about those stupid divisive issues from decades past, more spin ,lies and mud and fear and just maybe you can get 50.5% of the vote. We havent had a Code red,orange or whatever isnt time Bush has one? Shouldnt we be wrapping our houses in plastic because of Iran,Putin or Palin?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Obama should start running ads of the many interviews in which mccain promised to run a clean campaign.

Why is it that the republicans never seem to be able to run on the issues?

19. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Agreed. I'd much rather see Obama run ads about McCain feeling the need to resort to negative ads because he can't win on the issues.

Negative ads don't work well on independents, so the fact that McCain is running them means he's (still) worried out securing turnout of the party base. It's a sign of desperation, especially considering the ghosts the old man has in his closet.

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This all kinda reminds me of an old friend. He was a great skier. One day he got in a wreck and became a paraplegic in a wheelchair. Poor guy.

A great poker friend. We used to have poker nights every friday. 6-10 of us would sit around playing poker and drinking beer etc..
    We all helped him when he asked for help getting his wheelchair around obstacles.

But ya know what else ? He was an *******. Pure and simple.

What's this got to do John McCain ?

I am sick and tired of all the platitudes given out to him because he was a POW. My friend was an ******* and many times people called him that because he was. It didn't matter that he was in a wheelchair. He was still an *******.

Same with McCain. He's was a POW. We all know that..It's time to start calling this guy an ******* in the public arena.

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I wish it would be like the latter. Americans as a whole, would much like to be entertained than think. Most American think what they are told to think. If they see a negative add, they often assume it is true. People who spend too much time in front of a TV, become far more susceptible to visual stimuli, than audio. Most people also respond to fear. So, combine the two; strong fearful imagery and point it at your adversary. This has been the republican strategy for many years. Unfortunately for them, this election it is not working as well. They have come close to destroying America, and people know it.

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I no longer only hate McCain as a politician any more. I now also hate him as a person. He has sunk to so many new lows over the past few months, that whatever honor he had, it is now gone forever.

John McCain - you are a disgrace to The United States of America and to its people.:mad:

23. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Talk about a rhetorical question.... :D

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

coming from a man who has in his past (even if under duresse) collaborated with the enemy at a likely cost of american lifes and resources (with the difference that in this case the allegation are justified), it's rich.