John McCain Urges Supreme Court to 'Return Control of Our Elections to the People'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigAppleNYC123, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Sens. John McCain and Sheldon Whitehouse doubled down on their bipartisan effort encouraging the U.S. Supreme Court to create a new standard for determining the constitutionality of partisan gerrymandering.

The Republican and Democratic senators reaffirmed their efforts Tuesday as the highest court in the U.S. heard oral arguments for a key case that could determine the future of partisan gerrymandering in the U.S. Gerrymandering is the drawing of electoral district lines to favor typically the party in power.

“The Court can clean up a cause of America’s crisis in confidence in our democracy, protect our elections from wildly partisan ‘bulk’ gerrymandering, and return control of our elections to the people," McCain and Whitehouse said in a joint statement on Tuesday. "We hope the Court will."

----

Electoral College.png

2. protox macrumors regular

Now that he's staring down deaths door, he wants to leave this Earth, with a guilt free conscience? Too late but better late than never I suppose.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The value of a California or NY voter is about right IMO.

4. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Spoken like a typical flyover person.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It evens out I think, otherwise California, New York, Florida, and Texas would be the only states deciding the president.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The converse is an elitist coastal opinion. I'll take the flyover.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

And what's the problem with that? We live in the United States. Individual states, cities, and towns, get to vote for their own local politicians.

The Presidential duties is to serve the people of USA as a whole. Numbers should matter the most, not geographic regions.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The majority of the countries people and economy are on the coasts.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Doesn't change what I said.

10. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Wisconsin has a 13 point swing because of partisan gerrymandering. That's a problem. It's estimated that a 3-5 point variation would exist from making maps at random, this is a minimum of 8 points on top of that. This should be a problem for anyone.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The majority of the people affected by Washington should have the biggest say in how the government is run. Not some yokel on a farm somewhere.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Ahh, yokel.

Still doesn't change what I said.

13. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Doesn’t surprise me that a guy with a weird skull avatar prefers the opinions of a corn farmers to successful and wealthy coastal elites.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Your post proves my point.

It is from the band the Misfits with the Chicago flag.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

When we want your opinion, we'll ask you for it. - Mutt Lange to Rick Allen, during the recording of Def Leppard's Pyromania album.

Your opinion, IMO, doesn't mean a damn thing, when slapped upside its head by the 14th, 15th, 17th, 23rd, and 26th Amendments to the US Constitution. Don't like it? vote.. Unless the value of your vote is on par with your opinion of CA or NY voters.

BL.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought you were against government handouts. The majority of those handouts go to the flyover states.

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You get a like for the DL reference. Mutt Lange was a beast of a producer.

18. Zenithal macrumors 601

I saw Def Leppard live in 1992. Amazing.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    Here's where you're wrong. We coasties are affected, but poor red states or even flyover country is hurt even more. Though, in the case of repeal, who's more likely to afford health insurance? ;)

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But what are they hurt by, the people they elect. Those in red states are hurting because their elected officials don’t help them.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

No you still count.

:p

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't think I ever voted for a major party in the US outside of a primary, so my vote truly has never counted. :(

I vote conservative in Canada so I'm basically a Democrat in the US.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

As opposed to now when it is a handful of counties in a couple swing states that decides it. If it was one person one vote then I can guarantee it would spread out wher the campaigns happen. Republicans might decide that their voters in blue states are worth something and try to run those numbers up a bit, and Democrats might decide that it is worth paying attention to red states to pick up votes in them even if they don’t have a chance at winning the statewide vote.

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I quite like the efficiency-gap formula presented in this supreme court case. It's very simple (only basic arithmetic, a third-grader can understand it); it's very apt; and it's exactly the kind of thing Kennedy was essentially asking for the last time a gerrymandering case was before the court.

Another reason it's good is it doesn't care at all about the "shape" of a district, which shouldn't matter. Instead, it looks at the "representativeness" of a state, and identifies states where there is very skewed representation.

It's not a perfect formula, but I think it's a super solid first step. Hopefully Kennedy recognizes it as a necessary first step to take before we can move forward.

25. jerwin macrumors 68000

I'm an individual, not a state.