John Paul Stevens: Repeal the Second Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Gutwrench, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Not a snowflake’s chance in hell.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/27/politics/repealing-the-second-amendment/index.html

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I so agree. Someone slipped his meds sounds like.

Simple. Easy. Yeah. Riiigghht. :rolleyes:

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Repeal of the II Amendment means there is no defense against governmental tyranny. No way I would support such a ludicrous idea.

4. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Oh boy. One old retired Justice just triggered the entire NRA crowd. o_O

[​IMG]

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

But but But I thought no one was supporting this.......according to all our liberal members

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think the ludicrous idea is believing you can use your guns to defend yourself against the government. If that's why you own a gun, you might as well be holding a butt plug.

8. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Bundy Ranch standoff seemed to do just fine.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2018 ---
    Thanks for sharing a meme of a triggered Liberal.

9. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Justice Stevens did not say "easy." He said "simple" in the context that instead of trying to draft mountains of legislation, it would be simpler to repeal the 2A. So let us eschew this "meds" snottiness.
    The only reason the Bundy Ranch snipers didn't end up as greasy stains on the pavement is that the federal government wanted to avoid another Waco/Ruby Ridge PR headache. Why give the gun fetishists a bunch of martyrs over a dispute about grazing rights?

Discretion. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

10. 0007776 Suspended

Not many people do. That said in 25 to 50 years if there is no compromise from the NRA to allow sensible restrictions we will likely see a full repeal of the 2nd.

11. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

If that's how you feel, then you're entitled to your opinion. Still doesn't hide the fact that the BLM walked away.
    Then it would start havoc. But if that's what the people want, than that's what the people will get.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Nonsense. The government already has the best military-grade butt plugs. Ordinary butt plugs used by 2A defenders are useless deterrents.

13. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Let's see them run on that during the next election...hehe

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It’s a good point. I’m not anti-gun by any stretch, but if people see something that pertains to technology as a perpetual, unalienable right, then I disagree. And that’s fine, I suppose whichever way you feel. If we have flying cars one day, I’d hope the laws that applied to a car in 1950 wouldn’t still apply.

15. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I am perfectly fine with the 2nd amendment, I just think we really need to get it updated to today's standards and weapons

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That won't work in the next election. But ten years, twenty years down the line, popular opinion could shift to such a degree that repealing or amending the 2nd Amendment could become politically feasible.

Updating the amendment requires an amendment. :D

17. obeygiant, Mar 27, 2018

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It'll be so easy to get a two-thirds vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate on repealing the 2nd amendment. Then getting 3/4 of the states to ratify it. Bam done! NO MORE GUNS!! YAY! No one will ever shoot anyone again.

18. Rhonindk, Mar 27, 2018

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Sorry.

Neither easy nor simple. It can be made to sound easy / simple if you are explaining it at grade school level....
    Hopefully that wasn’t the intent.;)

19. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

"I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

True but that isn’t the issue.
    This is like 1950 auto laws applying to 2018 autos. Still an auto even if it is a bit above what was available then.
    While true it is a bit anti-darwinistic in this day and age.
    Maybe someday.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

You can't repeal an unalienable right.

Changing the law, will not change the truth.

"Certain Unalienable Rights"
    Democracy and liberty are often thought to be the same thing, but they are not.

Democracy means that people ought to be able to vote for public officials in fair elections, and make most political decisions by majority rule.
    Liberty, on the other hand, means that even in a democracy, individuals have rights that no majority should be able to take away.

The rights that the Constitution's framers wanted to protect from government abuse were referred to in the Declaration of Independence as "unalienable rights." They were also called "natural" rights, and to James Madison, they were "the great rights of mankind." Although it is commonly thought that we are entitled to free speech because the First Amendment gives it to us, this country's original citizens believed that as human beings, they were entitled to free speech, and they invented the First Amendment in order to protect it. The entire Bill of Rights was created to protect rights the original citizens believed were naturally theirs

22. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Yes, you can surely defeat the gov't army, and emerge victorious. Strange other democracies exist in the world without this clause of arming bears. Amendment, it means it was changed at some point to meet NEEDS AT THAT TIME, why can't it change again? time to adapt. it's no longer 1800

Question for others too... Can you win?

hopefully you're not suggesting more sophisticated weapons be available to citizens, are you?

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Could be less. Also - the NRA shouldn't have control over the Constitution. They are not a governing body. Not saying you think they are. But it's very telling when that's the conversation we're having.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

It doesn't take much to be honest.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2018 ---
    Your AR15 will work so well against a Predator MQ1