John Spooner found guilty of shooting his 13 year old neighbor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMikeT, Jul 17, 2013.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Not as widely publicized as the Zimmerman trial but John Spooner was found guilty of shooting his 13 year old neighbor whom he accused of stealing guns from inside his home.

The murder victim was 13 year old Darius Simmons. Simmons was walking outside his home when Spooner chased him armed with a gun. After arguing with Simmons for a few minutes, Spooner begins to shoot Simmons. After being shot in the chest, Simmons flees and later collapsed then died.

All of this was caught on a home surveillance camera at Spooner's home.

AP - WIS. MAN, 76, GUILTY IN FATAL SHOOTING OF TEEN

----------

Link to the video that shows Spooner shooting Simmons.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBKogMxbRAU

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I can already see what Fox News will report .........

The 13 year old was wearing short sleeves in the cold, that's suspicious. He was also an inch taller than the shooter, which can seem aggressive. Why was he outside anyways? He should have taken the recycle bin back in another day. Seems like he was antagonizing the shooter. Stay tuned while we dig up his facebook, text messages and elementary school records.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But what is the key difference between Trayvon Martin and this tragic (and criminal) case?

There was no video to tell what happened to Martin.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Put a needle in his arm or hang him from a tree. What a sick person.

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Not even remotely similar other than a white guy shot a black kid. This was cold blooded murder. Zimmerman was defending himself from a vicious assault.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I do wish we had some video.

Otherwise, it's pure speculation.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Yeah, this guy is real "special".

Put him down before he murders someone else.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The dude is 76.

Put him in prison.

He'll be off the books soon enough.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Well he has a chance not to do any jail time if they find him mentally incompetent. Mental institution beats a prison any day. At least nowadays it does.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Why put him in prison rather than execute him? He's a racist predator...he kills a kid cold blood, than argues he is "not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect"...please.

"Spooner's daughter once brought home a kitten that he didn't want so he took it into the basement and killed it". They say that is proof he's mentally ill...to me, that's proof that he's sick and evil person and if he does that to a kitten, it comes as no surprise he'll do the same to a person. He's nothing more than a coward trying to hide behind whatever he can. He will manipulate and kill again, and again, and again, without giving one **** about the path of destruction he leaves behind.

Give this man a needle and promptly at that. He deserves it and he has no one to blame but himself. Darius Simmons wasn't given any options or mercy, so why should his killer be treated any differently? Give that poor mother peace of mind in knowing her son's killer got a punishment in which the recidivism rate is exactly 0 and there won't ever be 'extenuating circumstances' in which this man will do what he did to her family to someone else. I have absolutely no empathy for thugs like this guy, 76 or not.

11. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

While I understand the desire in this case, I don't want a surveillance state. Not happy with the way things are going, but I see other folks are starting to understand the beast (see what the ACLU did today)...

12. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I initially wanted to include the point about the surveillance footage but decided to wait to see what others have said before making parallels between this and the other white guy who also shot a black kid.

Spooner is guilty without any doubt thanks to the very surveillance camera he installed in his home. The only difference between this case and what happened to Trayvon Martin is there is proof in the form of video. If it were not for the video, I believe he might have gotten away with murdering a kid much like Tubby did.

----------

Aren't you a conservative? And as a conservative, aren't you supposed to be pro-life? Or does pro-life mean only until a fetus is born at which point, it doesn't matter what happens to life outside the womb?

In bold, why don't you say the same about Tubby? He also hid behind his gun AFTER provoking a confrontation with another black kid.

----------

Where have you been the last month? It's been revealed that we're all ready living in a surveillance state. In fact, the government is trying to apprehend a certain individual who is currently hiding out in Russia after exposing the government's actions.

----------

Prove it, ask Trayvon Mar..... Oh wait, the dead can't talk. :(

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you forgot bit.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So your solution is to pay someone else to kill him in cold blood?

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Do you have proof (or a credible source) for that?

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I don't have a womb nor do I have a position on abortion. This thread isn't about abortion. It's about a cold-blooded murder, and a murderer who should be executed.

Are you familiar with either of these cases?...even implying they are the same is an insult to the family of Darius Simmons. That's so cold toward his family I have no words, or there is such a lack of understanding on one or both of these cases that it will not be possible to explain it.

----------

He won't kill another kid...that's for sure.

17. Andeavor macrumors 6502

This was Zimmerman's own doing. He followed Martin despite having been advised not to by the dispatcher. On top of that, Martin was unarmed and attempted to flee. It was Zimmerman who ran after him and assaulted him with a gun. Trayvon Martin is dead because of him.

If gun owners just let people flee from the scene (as long as nothing has happened) and not play the lone ranger or neighborhood hero, then nobody would be dead now.

Next time, just call the police and report a suspicious person. Then let it go. End of story.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is extremely unlikely that he will kill another kid in prison.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's extremely likely that he will die before death row gives him a date.

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Is that a bad thing?

21. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

First of all it was in Wisconsin, a state not as bat **** crazy as Texas or Florida. Did he try to claim some Stand Your Ground standard?

Regarding SYG, doesn't anyone find it IRONIC that the people who are armed and use deadly force are the ones who claim they were fearful? Who gives a **** about the unarmed dead guy, was he fearful? Does the survivor with the gun win by default? Thankfully in this case no. But this appears to be the exception and there was video that shows the offense, not some self serving testimony.

This is the fallacy of Stand Your Ground. First you arm people which gives them confidence they can protect themselves, then you promote SYG which gives them more confidence they can kill and not be held accountable. The problem with a gun is that it's basically all or nothing. You punched me! Blam your dead. You came at me! Blam your dead. You threatened me! Blam your dead. Hey, there are no witnesses, I have a long standing grudge against you, I can say you came at me and they'll have to believe me! And blam your dead!

Btw, I place home invasion in a different category than most of these other related publicized gun deaths. I have no problem if someone breaks into your house and you are in the house, you should have a right to shoot them.

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, that's just purely unfounded.

Does anyone have a credible source for either side? Zimmerman himself is hardly credible, so I certainly don't take his word for it.

As for the OP, I don't see how this could be construed by anyone as anything other than murder.

23. astrorider macrumors 6502

Your mind seems to spend a lot of time figuring out ways to use laws intended to protect the innocent in a criminal manner. You sure you're not the fearful one, so afraid of criminal misuse of the law you're willing to throw innocent victims under the bus?

By extension to your examples and since you're ok with SYG in the home (Castle Doctrine), you must be ok with:
    Hey, there are no witnesses, I have a long standing grudge against you, I can say you came at me after breaking in to my house (no witnesses, so no problems placing your dead body in my house) and they'll have to believe me! And blam your dead!
    :rolleyes:

Criminals will always distort laws intended to protect the innocent to avoid their own prosecution, but just as we shouldn't throw out the presumption of innocence because some criminals will be set free when the state can't prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, it's no reason to toss Stand your Ground.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

An eye for an eye is a dumb idea.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Depends on how one feels about death row.