John Stewart Agrees with Fivepoint

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Jun 16, 2010.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Very entertaining video by Liberal comedian/commentator John Stewart pointing out last night, with South Park references an all, what I've been saying in these forums over and over again in the past few months. The big government liberal policies of Barack Obama and the Democratic Congress put us in the same position as the big government neo-con policies of George Bush. Screw the laws, screw the constitution, the ends always justify the means! Big government is the solution, not the people... not the constitution. Keep centralizing more power and ignore the warnings of our founders.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-15-2010/respect-my-authoritah

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Shocker

I like John Stewart, and this makes me like him even more!

Once his cult of personality further erodes, we will start seeing even more of this.

The kicker: We are going to keep voting in establishment flunkies with Yale/Harvard law degrees and a penchant for micro-managing and power-grabbing as far as I can foresee.

Why? I don't know. But I really wish I had wrote down Ron Paul instead of ticking off Barack Obama. Feel-good and slick speeches... Lesson learned.

3. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

indeed. :)

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I agree, I want our next President to have flunked out of high school. **** you, education.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And doesn't Ron Paul have a doctorate?

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Yep. So you can't vote for him.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Doctorate in *******e.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yeah, yeah.

And I vote democrat because they are corrupted ever so slightly less than republicans.

I'm just doing my small part.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Liberals have been saying what Jon Stewart said for a while now.

I think Stewart's opinion comes as a surprise only to those who think that liberals worship Obama as some kind of deity. (I suppose it's also a surprise to those who always try to characterize The Daily Show as a liberal ass-kissing program.)

Hopefully this sudden rapport with Stewart will give conservatives a more realistic view of how liberals feel about Obama.

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This

dems are multidimentional.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- we never worshiped Obama and we criticize him all the time. We don't blindly follow him like conservatives follow Ron and Rand Paul. I have yet to see a conservative on this board criticize either of them.

12. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Well, lets be honest... as of about a year ago MOST liberals thought Obama was some sort of deity (exaggeration, but barely) And for someone that watches Stewart regularly, I will unequivocally state that he runs a liberal ass-kissing program most of the time. You're simply taking his occasional jabs against the liberals and mistakingly equating them to his constant onslaught and ridiculously bias hit pieces on conservatives.

It's not gross ass-kissing, it's net ass-kissing.

I'm just glad that Stewart (and a few other liberals) show a glimmer of hope as opponents of big government. It's unfortunate that, like the neo-cons, they only oppose big government when it isn't their pet project being undertaken. When it comes to big government in wealth redistribution, etc. they're all giddy about it. And even more unfortunate that the Democrat and Republican parties are BOTH led by big-government activists who expand their views once in power expanding government even faster and more broadly than they had campaigned on (i.e. Obama w/ FISA, Patriot Act, Guantanamo; Bush w/ Education, Immigration, War, and same as above)

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know, it's just one short step between talking about oneself in the third person and drawing crazy-ass conspiracy diagrams like Glenn Beck... I'm just saying. ;)

(And not only have "we" been criticizing the administration where we feel it appropriate, but so has "our" media -- the NYT has run more than one editorial in the past week criticizing the administration for its protective stance with respect to Bush policies that violated the letter/spirit of American law as well as its failure to restore American civil liberties co-opted by the Bush administration).

14. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Thing is, ive heard JS criticize Obama and the Dems many times before, this is not new. OP, was this your first time watching the Daily Show?

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

WRONG.

16. Dany M macrumors 6502

I don't know you fivepoint but Jon Stewart made a point and told his opinion on the matter, whether you have been preaching it for months, honestly it is extremely pretentious of you assuming that liberals, dems, left wings would read your posts differently as our 'beloved master' says something different. We ain't sheep but thanks for trying.

17. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

No...not exactly. Most conservatives were saying that liberals were saying that Obama was some sort of deity. You're not going to be able to find a mainstream liberal who would seriously call Obama a "god" — even as an exaggeration. So to say "most" liberals were thinking Obama was a deity is disingenuous at best.

I always found it funny how conservatives were railing against Obama's "cult of personality" and were deriding him as nothing more than a celebrity. It's a good thing that conservatives have always been so far above that sort of thing.

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ok

Let me clarify: The Liberal media was elevating Obama to deity status. It kind of sent shivers up my leg ;)

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, let me clarify. The right-leaning media was covering the election, and John McCain and Sarah Palin were elevating President Obama to credible leader status. The right-wing media was trying desperately to make President Obama look bad and repeated every lie and mistatement possible. It kind of sent shivers up my leg. ;)

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

The MSM most certainly framed Obama as some sort of aspiring deity. The idea was played up by his campaign by delivering his nomination acceptance speech in front of 80,000 people on a stage decked out like a greek temple.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yep

It was an interesting real-live case-study of the cult of personality phenomena.

I don't know how anyone can claim that he was NOT elevated far beyond what he warranted... I mean, he won a Noble Peace Prize for "inspiring people," c'mon!

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Little did they know they only had to let him become president.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, because Obama is getting such wonderful cooperation from the right. If the American people who happen to be conservatives actually rallied behind the president in the face of a national disaster like the American people who happened to be liberals rallied behind GWB, Obama would have approval ratings similar to GWBs were after 9/11. He doesn't because the right cares more about hating him than they do this country. They are not patriots. They are unamerican. They are being traitors to the good of this Country. They support big oil, and thus they support terrorists and people who have now destroyed a huge chunk of our environment. They hate America.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I see what you did there. ;)

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

You're not a liberal and you claim that you voted for him. It seems that first time voters or naive voters deified him, not so much the liberals. A lot of liberals wanted either Hillary or Obama. Either one.