john titor - a time traveler?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by biturbomunkie, Jun 14, 2007.

1. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

classmates and i were discussing the possibility of time travel with our physics prof. one fellow brought up john titor, a self-proclaimed time traveler that made "numerous ambiguous predictions about events in the near future" back in 2000/2001. do you think time travel is possible, or the whole thing was a hoax with political motives? i thought i would share it here and see what your inputs are.

titor's key predictions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

We'll the only thing that I can say is that we won't know if he did time travel until 2008, but until then I say BS.

Just for interest sakes, I remember reading something that he came back because they had found a critical bug on UNIX (or Mac OS X 10.9 Garfield?:D )

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

That made for some hilarious reading. Check the archive on his posts on wikipedia.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Most of us here saw the first 2 parts back in 2003, and some here even further back. Even if he's right about 2008, a lot of that is speculation based on the obvious. Like that psychic on TV who gets a few vague details right that anyone could have guessed. Without real specifics, it's all pretty worthless even if true.

I've seen some pretty weird things in my time on this planet to know that there are far greater things than even in my imagination to outright reject such things as even a possibility, but this just seems like a cleverly designed hoax.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I always love how visions from the future are always vague. Tell me what the temperature will be in fifteen cities across the world on a specific day, the lotto numbers for next week, and who wins the World Series.

Otherwise, our 'time traveller' needs a big helping of ****!

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This has always been the reality check for me too.

I read through most or all of the Titor stuff a few years ago, and I agree that it's compelling reading. But whenever someone asked for specifics, Titor came up with various justifications for being evasive. IIRC another big tipoff was that Titor failed to "predict" the 9/11 attacks.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I read most of his stuff for fun a few years back. He made one big mistake proving the hoax in my eyes.

He went through great pains to explain, basically the multiverse, and that he would be headed back to a slightly different reality than the one he left, but he would arrive only a few seconds/minutes after another version of him left that reality on the same trip/mission.

Later he mentioned others who had been sent time traveling on other missions but he did not know what there missions were, or if they were successful because they were not back before he left.

If the person on the mission is going to be back in a matter of seconds or minutes why would you send out the next mission before the first one came back? If you can delay 5 minutes and make sure that the previous mission was a success why wouldn't you do that?

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I predict that those who lust for wealth & power will keep us at each other's throats bickering over religious and social values, so we do not focus on tossing them out of power.

The war over oil deposits will be mild in comparison to the war for clean water.

I also predict that nothing much will change until a major life changing catastrophic event hits the United States.

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

He must have been reasonbly intelligent.

I remember him saying MS wasn't the company to watch, but wouldn't let on who was.

If I remember correctly, he said they got the internet from servers mounted on the telephone poles during another one of his informative discussions. At a time when dialup was king and cable wasn't providing internet access yet, that was a pretty good call. WiMax is still getting out of the starting gate.

Compelling reading though! Now we all have to buy property in Florida ;)

10. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Way to go Australia!!!

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I didn't notice it at first. He's been updated. When I read it the Civil war was supposed to start in 2004-2005, right after the election and the nukes were going to hit in 2008....

If that doesn't scream hoax I don't know what does....

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Worthless bollocks. Might as well read the horoscope or listen to John Edwards.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Are you sure? Polling data seems to suggest that his campaign appeals to a lot of Democrats.

KIDDING

14. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

LOL

I've actually met John Edwards and his aunt or mother (back 20 years ago) before he was famous. He used to live here on Long Island.

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Seems to me that predicting unrest in the Middle East is a pretty safe bet. Nice prognosticating, that.

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it was obviously a hoax 5 years ago, and his case is not getting better as time goes by.

17. noaccess macrumors 6502

I was pretty surprised a few months ago when I read some of his forum posts that he correctly predicted the war in Iraq. That was a more or less safe bet. Not much else tho, the small community/people working together and the others who didn't being marginalized/society returning to traditional, old beliefs stuff wasn't realistic for me.

Pretty elaborate stuff tho. Although I have no idea why someone would waste so much of their time on pulling off something like this; I'm having a hard time thinking he/they had anything to gain from this. :confused: